Mr. Invisible

Author
Blurick
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 83
2010/08/14 14:07:53 (permalink)

Mr. Invisible

I recorded this one yesterday.  All constructive criticism welcome.  I did notice some timing issues with the acoustic during the chorus.  I plan on recording that over.  Maybe too much 'verb on the vox as well?  Song is called "Mr. Invisible".

http://www.soundclick.com...664&songID=9523382

Disclaimer:  May be offensive to Christians.  My goal isn't to bash religion or to take shots at anyone's beliefs.  I use my music to express my personal feelings.  I've heard some very excellent Christan music on this forum (Beagle comes to mind).  While I may have a different opinion, it doesn't mean I can't enjoy their music as well.  Please refrain from listening if you feel you may be offended.

12 Replies Related Threads

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Mr. Invisible 2010/08/14 15:06:35 (permalink)
    nice..

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:Mr. Invisible 2010/08/14 21:54:20 (permalink)
    You scared me with your disclaimer. 

Really, really, really great voice. It starts with quiet strength and builds to solid strength. 

It was unusual the way the drum intro-ed us into the song.

You did no harm. You named no names, started no flame wars.  I just don't know who Mr. Invisible is yet.  God? A phony preacher? You're saying the real man is hidden behind some persona? Well, I tried. 

But this is an exceptional singing voice here.

At 1:18, are you saying My God

At both 1:36 - 1:45 and  3:16 - 3:25,  the words are unclear. If I could just understand them, maybe I'd know better what you're singing about.

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    Blurick
    Re:Mr. Invisible 2010/08/14 23:45:29 (permalink)
    Thank you PeggySue for the compliments on my voice!  At 1:18 it says "my dime for what I can perceive".  All of the lyrics are listed in the lyric area if you scroll down before playing the song.   Yes, Mr. invisible is God in my song.

Thank you Timidi as well for your comment.

rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:Mr. Invisible 2010/08/15 00:03:16 (permalink)
    Now why would it offend people to write a song about me?

Or maybe you mean God?

But in reality, I am the true Mr Invisible. Mostly by choice but it usually just happens that way. Or maybe I am just invisible to beautiful women. At least for the last 10 years or so.

Love the guitar work

Nicely done

Ron

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Mr. Invisible 2010/08/15 01:25:40 (permalink)
    Rick, this is really captivating. For me, the message is quite clear, but I've struggled with the question for many years.
    I think the very wet 'verb fits the mindset nicely, as does the floppy kick drum. And that guitar at 3:32 just ices the cake.
    There is some sibilance, mostly in the chorus, and there seems to be some clipping in the chorus as well. Can't quite pinpoint it, but it sounds like some extra energy around 1K in a few spots.
    I love the mystical quality of this, and it makes me long for my "church" in the high country. Perched on a rock at 12,000 feet, high above Breckenridge or Grand Lake, I feel more inclined to believe. It's just more honest up there, if you know what I mean.
    At any rate, this song has touched at least one soul, and that counts for a lot.
    Well done, Rick and Ami.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Blurick
    Re:Mr. Invisible 2010/08/15 11:56:46 (permalink)
    Ron - Thanks for the compliment.  I too have been "Mr. Invisible" to the all the ladies except one!  Ami and I are coming up on our 10 year anniversary!  Now if I can only talk her into one of her friends for an anniversary present! :D  Just kidding!

Bob - I'm so happy that my music struck a chord with you!  I usually only get comments like that from family and friends and while that's nice, it's much more satisfying when it comes from someone that doesn't have perception bias.  I sometimes feel like I'm "marching to my own drummer".  It makes it all worth it when someone else "gets it". 
    I've had issues with sibilance (on my own voice, not Ami's) since I started recording.  I tried to blame it on my cheap vocal mic, but I know it has everything to do with my singing/mic technique.  I don't have the technical knowledge to fix it.  I've tried with other songs by automating the volume during the sss sounds.  That wasn't very effective.  I've also tried using de-essers but could never get it to sound correct.  I think the only way to get rid of it is to re-record the vocals and be super vigilant of my esses while singing. 
    BTW- Your song "Fishing Buchanan Creek" has been on my mp3 player in my playlist for quite some time!  I've always loved that song.  I didn't realize that was you until I clicked on your Soundclick.

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Mr. Invisible 2010/08/15 13:24:04 (permalink)
    I reeaaaaalllly like this ! Vox are spot on in my opinion, little bit of sibiliance here and there, as you are aware, but the harmonies are just sublime. Pefect for this. My only minor niggle is the occaional drum sound (floor tom ?) which seems a little too loud in places (1:56 for example) and jars a little, but that really is being super picky.

FWIW I don't think your disclaimer is necessary, nothing offensive at all  here. I only mention this in case it should put some people off from listening to an excellent piece of work.

Anyway, I've downloaded it for future listening pleasure, so thanks for sharing.
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Mr. Invisible 2010/08/15 13:30:17 (permalink)
    +1  on the Nice.  Very listen-able tune well captured, played and sung.

Only one very minor point I found it a little to wet on the verb however Rob said he found it fine, must be the fur balls.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Mr. Invisible 2010/08/15 13:43:05 (permalink)
    song-acoustic work + + + 1
    Blurick
    Re:Mr. Invisible 2010/08/16 11:50:14 (permalink)
    Paulo - Thanks for the kind words and downloading my song!  You're right about the floor tom.  I turned it up a little too much when I was doing the drums.  You're also probably right about the disclaimer.  I just wanted to err on the side of caution because sometimes it can get a bit touchy.  The last thing I wanted to do was anger fellow musicians here on the forum.

Wookie - Thank you as well for the positive comments.  I'm still on the fence with the 'verb.  I think I may experiment and try and dial it back slightly on the chorus harmony parts.

Biabdude- Thanks man.  I'm happy you enjoyed it as well.

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:Mr. Invisible 2010/08/16 14:00:38 (permalink)
    Very nice song and performance.  I think that we all have struggled with this question at one time or another --- guess we just have to accept what we wish to accept.  The pensive (is that the right term) mood of the music/melody is a perfect match for the lyrics. The lead guitar toward the end compliments this mood very well.  The somewhat abrupt ending even matches this mood set up by the song by kind of leaving an open unanswered question. 
    Good one.

Freddy J

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Mr. Invisible 2010/08/16 14:32:38 (permalink)
    Hi Rick,
    just found this one.  I'm at work so I can't really listen critically - listening on a soundmax with cheap headphones.

first of all, I'm not offended by your song or your beliefs and I'm not going to get into a religious discussion here on the forum because it's against the TOS.  but we can disagree about religious points and still respect each other as musicians!  no need for a disclaimer in my opinion, especially since you have the lyrics posted on the soundclick site. 

that aside...

WOW!  I'm really impressed with this!  very nice clean recording and mixing, nice acoustic, love the electric solo.  vox are really, really good.  nicely done, Rick!  bravo!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1