Muffled Mumbled Mess

Author
EasTexGuy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 160
2010/08/26 11:06:51 (permalink)

Muffled Mumbled Mess

I have a problem. Here's the short of the long of it. The wife sings contemporary christian/gospel (point of grace, amy grant, casting crowns type etc) she uses the performance tracks purchased in any music store, etc. friends, family, folks at church ask if she has these tunes on a cd or something. So... I open a new project (btw this is my first attempt at creating a listenable tune in SHS7XL) import the track from cd @ 24bit. No effects added. She sings the song. I add eq, comp verb etc to the vox, bed the vocal nicely and it matches up real well... export the mix to a wav file @ 32bit. Open a mastering project, and import the wav audio file. I'm just using the Sonitus Suite multiband, comp, and boost11 on it. ( I got it, mastering tools work better... just ain't got'em ) Through the monitors I get a beautiful sound with good lows & highs and strong vocal. It sounds great to me. THEN...

I export to wav @ 16 and play it back on my fairly nice computer sound system. @@ I swear to you I haven't changed the sound of anything up to this point. The whole (mastered) wav mix just sounds muffled and not crisp at all. I mean, I'm no engineer, but my ears are as good as any. I can't make the wife sound like Amy Grant but I don't want people thinking I bound and gagged her while she sang either. The music should sound like it was inspired by God, not Lucifer... atm I feel the heat on my rear end! @_@

I've been reading mix & mastering threads all over the net. My summation, trust your ears and not much else. In one of those threads the gentleman talked about his topic being for 'electronic dist' as mp3 and not for CD. That CD mastering was another topic. I got that. I decided to export the mix to mp3. What I got back on the computer sound sys was the closest yet to what I hear in the monitors. A bit less crisp and clear, but very noticeably better compared to the wav file.

Question: To keep me from burning in hell, someone plz tell me the secret to producing a wav file that sounds closer to the original. Remember, I git it, the comp sound ain't never going to match my Fostex monitors. TIA

ETG aka Drue

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.

21 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/26 11:43:30 (permalink)
    If you import the music from the CD... it's already mastered..... so you don't need to do anything to it... (theoretically)..... Assuming the defaults in Sonar is 24bit resolution....so far so good.

record the vocals..... do your sweetening right in the vocal track FX bin AFTER you record it dry....straight up mic no FX on the incoming signal. put the FX in the bin AFTER the tracking is done, and you're happy with it. Do nothing to the instrument track..... remember it is already supposed to be mastered.  Just make the vox sound good, and export it as a project. See the next paragraph.....

Now... mix the vox to the level you think is good..... spice it with the FX and get it sounding like you want..... then export it using the preset WHAT YOU HEAR..... and export it to 16 bit 44.1khz....aka CD quality.

Now it should sound the same as in the studio....accounting of course for the different speakers in use.

It sounded like you are doing too much to it.... and when you do too much.... it ruins it.

If it was me: I would NOT use any compression on anything in this project... just some EQ and verb on the vox..... simple often works best.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/08/26 11:49:23

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/26 11:46:16 (permalink)
    there's no way an mp3 export should sound BETTER than a wave export!  what are your export settings in the dialog box that pop up when you choose EXPORT?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/26 11:50:19 (permalink)
    got to agree with Reece.... waves sound better than any MP3 ... when you export or convert to an mp3 from a wave.... you always loose lots of data ....so always use the highest conversion bit rates possible..... I go for 320kbs
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/08/26 11:51:37

BMI/NSAI

EasTexGuy
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/26 12:07:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Herb, I wasn't using any preset. I'll try that. Yep, or no... I haven't touched the imported track prior to exporting it out as the final finished with it song. Vocal is being done just as you describe.

Reece, I know mate. That is what blew me away, but I swear it is so. The wav file is noticeably different from the mp3 in clarity. When I go File->Export->Audio in SHS7XL... in the 'Bounce Setting' dialog area:
    Source Category: Entire Mix
    Source Buss/Tracks: Lambda ASIO Out
    Channel Format: Stereo
    Sample Rate: 44100
    Bit Depth: 16
    Dithering: Triangular
    Using No Presets
    All 'checkable' Mix Enables are checked

Select the wave file type, give it a name and hit export. At first I wanted to blame it on the hardware, but then that goes against everything I know to be so with my system. Just kinda baffling.

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    EasTexGuy
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/26 12:23:10 (permalink)
    ... minutes later ...

HERB!!! you're an absolute mastering geeneeyus!!!

I simply added the preset "What You Hear" and I did! I did hear it! Not like the monitors of course, but the separation and clarity are there. Cymbals and snare sound like cymbals & snare instead of like a straw broom beatin' a window & blinds.

Reece, you think the reason the mp3 appeared to sound more like I expected is just because of the loss of low end content?  After doing the preset export, and getting my mind focused on the real issue, the mp3 doesn't really sound better it just appears to have more clarity without the muffling effect I was getting with the wave file and that is what snatched my attention?

Guitarhacker
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/26 12:35:32 (permalink)
    glad that solved it.... I found that preset early on and use it every time.....

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/26 12:43:15 (permalink)
    Yep.  that's what I was going to suggest also after reading your export settings.  herb is right - the what you hear is necessary to get those FX on the bus.

re: loss of low end on mp3 - maybe, I can't really tell without hearing/seeing the files myself, but that sounds like a possibility.

EasTexGuy
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/26 14:14:06 (permalink)
    One last question I'll I will stop bothering you guys... ( on this issue ^..^ ) should the 'What You Hear' be used when exporting the mix as 32 bit also?

(( herb is right - the what you hear is necessary to get those FX on the bus.  )) from that statement I'm assuming you would use it.

Beagle
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/26 14:19:53 (permalink)
    yes.

Guitarhacker
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/26 15:47:24 (permalink)
    Why are you exporting as 32 bit? I always export at 16bit... that is CD quality.

44.1/16 is the most common wave format that assures the maximum compatibility with the majority of CD players on the market.

BMI/NSAI

EasTexGuy
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/26 21:42:36 (permalink)
    Ummm, because everywhere I read, mostly anyway, say export the final mix @ 32 bit then import that file into the project you'll 'master' from. I understand the greater depth provides for more room to tweek. ;-p I sort of agree that for my current purposes that process seems redundant in a way since I'm not really applying much in the way of fx on 'mastering'. If I had the 'real tools' maybe I'd think differently. As it is I'm just tweeking the high and low end and a gain plugin to help set the level on each song so as they all are similar in 'loudness' and below clipping. When I export the wave file that I'll use on the cd I export at 16 bit.

Guitarhacker
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/26 21:55:00 (permalink)
    Oh... I see.... well, I have done that a time or two.....

Most often now, I simply do my mixing, set levels and envelopes, insert FX into tracks. (at times bouncing the tracks with FX to audio), rendering all my synths and midi to audio as well....... and then placing my mastering plugs in the master buss.... so when I export it's pretty much done.....

it works well as long as the computer can handle the CPU load.

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/26 22:21:36 (permalink)
    yeah, if he's exporting a stereo file intended for mastering then it's best to export at the higher bit rate instead of dithering and resampling at 16 bit at that point.  dithering to 16bit at the final export is best.

EasTexGuy
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/27 00:20:13 (permalink)
    I really appreciate all the info/help you guys have given... but ya workin' me t'death here! LoL  Not fully understanding how 'dither' applied to audio, and Reece mentioning dithering to 16 bit at the final export I had to go exploring. I found this... (link below) read it all and now completely understand the concept. (back in my younger days I worked with electronic controls on numerical controlled milling machines. The controls were hydraulic back then. We applied trace "dithering" to the valves to prevent them from sitting idle (sticking) in any of the 3 axis. :-) ) This guy's explanation made perfect sense. So now I have to go back and export the mixes @ 32 bit w/o the dither and master out @ 16 with the dither. LoL I'm gonna be a 'real engineer' when I grow up!

Dither Explained

Guitarhacker
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/27 08:39:04 (permalink)
    I saved that so I can read it more slowly.... later.....I have to go to work (meet a customer for an estimate) and when I return.... I shall "dither" my time..... perhaps even recording something....

BTW: excellent explanation on dithering.

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/27 09:18:39 (permalink)
    if your bit rate of your project is at 32 when you export at 32 then dithering does nothing anyway.  I always turn it off when exporting to the same bit rate my project is, but I don't think it matters because nothing should be done if you're not reducing your bit rate anway.  dithering only needs to be applied when reducing your bit rate and preferably only during the final export (there's a couple of threads in the big boy forum about dithering right now.  most of it is just senseless arguing, but there is some good information in them).

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/27 10:40:53 (permalink)
    remember, if you have a nice, wide mix, that's full of dynamics, that when you master it, you'll be taking those nice peaks DOWN........depending on how loud you want the mastered file to be.

so, there's a compromise, between YOU the mixer, and YOU the mastering engineer....

you have to think about things like SNARE transients....
    if you have a nice crisp snare, that really pops out, but eats up all your headroom, then when you go to master, you'll more than likely squash that nice snare peak, and when you do, you'll lose the high end clarity.

so now, you gotta think about things like trying to compress that snare, or limit it, WHILE mixing to your premastered setup, and re-eq'ing it to sound right with the compression/limiting on it.. that way, the snare is not ruling the peak of your entire mix.
    same thing goes with bass guitar, lead vocals, just ANYTHING that really has some dynamic peaks or buildup to it.

i love to track my stuff with zero compression.

i think it sounds wonderful.

but i've found, when i go to mix (i mix by bouncing everything down to a 'premastered pair, using 'what you hear', and then MASTERING that pair in another program)...
    when i go to mix, if i haven't tamed those peaks across the board, then i'm left with TONS of headroom (which of course, i have to eat up when i master with the limiter)..... and this changes the overall sound of everything.
    i lose clarity, i lose high end, i lose depth.

the TRICK

is getting good at MIXING, knowing in advance, how you are going to master it, what kind of levels you working with at the track level, and then learning how to compress and limit individual tracks WITHOUT ruining the sound of them.
    transparency, and yet, limited and compressed, but try to make is sound invisible.

that is the hardest thing of all, and THAT's where time and experience, and lots of experimenting, pay off.

post edited by batsbrew - 2010/08/27 10:43:52

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

EasTexGuy
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/27 11:11:19 (permalink)
    Yep Bats, I understand. I'm only experiencing a small portion of the dynamic issues with what I'm doing at the moment, and I'll keep that in mind in the future. There are a couple of songs the wife wants to sing that she can't find music for... so I've stepped in IT now... looking at being composer/musician/recording-mixing-mastering engineer which is what most of you guys are already. I just wasn't planning on being so versatile myself! LoL  I'm fairly sure my first attempt at the full monty will sound like a matchbox full of roaches. :-/ But... just as sure you guys will line me out in the end! :D

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/29 23:39:37 (permalink)
    Just to throw a wrench in the works, here's a variation on the theme.
    I don't use "what you hear". Instead, I select the master bus.
    It's important to make sure all of your busses and appropriate track outputs are routed to the master bus if you go this way.
    The advantage, to me, is that the meters in the master bus give you a final check on cumulative levels. And if I want to put a final compressor or reverb on the entire mix, I can do it in the master bus.
    Not suggesting the guys are wrong, by any means, just that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Beagle
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/30 08:13:23 (permalink)
    actually that's the way I do it as well. 

Guitarhacker
    Re:Muffled Mumbled Mess 2010/08/30 08:38:24 (permalink)
    I use the WHAT YOU HEAR preset but I also make sure all teh tracks are routed through the proper busses and all go to the master buss.

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1