Multi PC DAW Configuration?

Author
Grave Protocol
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 75
2016/07/16 21:12:45 (permalink)

Multi PC DAW Configuration?

Hi! I'm wondering about how Sonar Platinum would work with using one or more extra pc's to handle VST processing.  Any advice on where to go to start?

15 Replies Related Threads

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/17 04:58:11 (permalink)
    I can't contribute (yet) but I want to throw in that you might want to add some of your hardware constraints (i.e. what you own/intend to use) as there are probably hundreds of ways, each with their own pitfalls ...

Do you want to just connect via MIDI and convert audio several times? Or do you envision some sort of digital connection, which is not trivial considering interfaces, clock sync etc ...

I will listen in on this thread, hopefully those who use mulitple DAW configs can share their experiences

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/17 11:12:36 (permalink)
    Something like VEP would probably be the least amount of fuss (Once you set it up correctly, of course):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCoagnXH1a8

The other argument is that once you start spending over $200 towards a multi-PC setup, maybe you should be looking at just upgrading to a single fast PC.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    Grave Protocol
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/17 12:43:42 (permalink)
    Hey thanks!  I'm really not sure how I want to connect them, but it will definitely have to be by more than midi since VST's will be producing audio on the remote machine, probably over ethernet or Firewire?  I guess Firewire would be best.

The thing with a single fast pc is that I will probably run out of CPU eventually like I have with my i7-950 (at 4Ghz).  So instead of building a new $1200+ pc, I figured it would be better to just pick up a used core i5 / i7 every now and then.  I see them on sale pretty often for $200 - $250.  Added costs would then be I don't know what...  FX-Teleport is free, but old and 32-bit only I think.

This is what I have at present:

core i7-950 @ 4Ghz
    16Gb RAM
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 (firewire interface)
    Sonar Platinum
    tons of VSTs

The "Vienna Ensemble PRO" JonD suggested looks like a pretty good option....

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/17 13:03:27 (permalink)
    JonD
    Something like VEP would probably be the least amount of fuss (Once you set it up correctly, of course):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCoagnXH1a8

The other argument is that once you start spending over $200 towards a multi-PC setup, maybe you should be looking at just upgrading to a single fast PC.

just watched the video. interesting tool - and incredibly cheap compared to any solution using hardware ... but latency for live playing VEP adds 2x buffer size (=triple latency!?!) ... how do you play live then ??? you can disable the buffer, but does it still work ... ?

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/18 09:23:33 (permalink)
    I'm currently using one fast PC, but I'm about to add at least one, and maybe two additional machines. I've run a bunch of different machine configurations over the years, from single machine to Master plus GigaStudio slave (for those that remember Giga) to single machine using VEPro to host Kontakt to Master plus Audio+MIDI slave using Lightpipe and MidiOverLan to Master plus Audio+MIDI slave using VEPro... well, you get the idea<G>.
    While FXTransport, MIDIOverLAN, Dante, and other such tools work, VEPro simplifies things so much that I recommend just starting there. It will still require some work,

The hardware requirements for a secondary machine depend on what you plan to host there. It doesn't need to be a fire-breathing dragon, but it still needs to be reasonably fast, and you may be limited to CPU/Motherboard choices by your memory requirements.

I have a Q6600 based system (my previous DAW) which is limited to 8GB of memory. I will use this to host a bunch of synthesizers, and since it still has "real" PCI slots I've loaded it up with a Frontier Dakota/Montana/Sierra giving me 32 audio inputs for my (hardware) synth rack, and 32 CV outputs for my analog synths, and an 8x8 MIDI interface, also for the hardware synths. All of which will use VEPro to get back and forth.

Then, when I've recovered from that adventure I will need to build a machine to host Kontakt and Vienna Instruments. Currently 64 GB seems to be the practical (affordable) limit, and that's my target. I'm also concerned that just because a machine can host 64GB (approx) of instruments doesn't mean it can stream them all. There  could be other bottlenecks. So it's always a game of optimization, and 64GB seems to be optimal at the moment.

So the only thing I can say definitively is start with VEPro and save yourself some aggravation<G>!

That's what I know at the moment... good luck and please share your results so the rest of us can piggyback off your hard work<G>!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/18 13:31:53 (permalink)
    I am not at all sure what you are running with for a load, but I have a single PC running Windows 8.1, with 32 GB of memory and an AMD A10-7850 CPU.  I have a single SSD as a primary drive, holding all applications and the OS, and 5 HDD's that are each 2 TB in size, holding Cakewalk Projects, Content, user libraries (documents, downloads, etc.), and 2 sample library drives.

I have never ever even once had to freeze any tracks or take any additional measures for any project I have ever created, so I am really wondering how you are running yourself out of a single computer.

Can you please provide additional detail as to how your typical projects are put together, so I can better understand?

Thanks, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    wst3
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/18 15:26:46 (permalink)
    I can try...

Machine Specs:
    > CPU: Intel i7-4790k @ 4GHz
    > Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    > BIOS: AMI P1.30 (05/23/2014)
    > Power supply: Corsair CX600M 600 Watt ATX Modular
    > Operating system: Windows 10
    > Amount & type of RAM: 32GB - Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 32GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9
    > Graphics card/driver: none currently, using on-chip GPU
    > Hard-Drives:
    • Drive #1 (OS/Apps)- Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD
    • Drive #2 (samples)- SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE1T0BW 1TB SATA III MLC SSD
    • Drive #3 (data) - Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 7200 1TB SATA III HDD
    • Drive #4 (content) - Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1000GB, 7200rpm, SATA II HDD
    • Optical Drive: LG 24X Internal DVD ReWritable Drive SATA
    > Audio Interface: UA Apollo Twin USB, Presonus 1818VSL
    > MIDI Interface: Alyseum AL88C
    > DSP: UA UAD2/Quad

No such thing as a "typical" project, but one recent project that gave me fits included:
    • 14 stereo audio tracks - 24 bits, 96 kHz, each has a compressor and equalizer, typically UAD stuff)
    • 474 virtual instrument audio tracks - little or no insert processing on these
    • 464 Virtual instrument MIDI tracks
    • 12 Reverb Auxes (mostly algorithmic, and mostly UAD, 3 instances of Reverberate)
    • 16 Delay Auxes
    • 1 instance of VSS2

Virtual  Instruments (all hosted in VEPro):
    • 5 instances of Kontakt5 for strings
    • 4 instances of Kontakt5 for winds
    • 4 instances of Kontakt5 for brass
    • 2 instances of Kontakt5 for percussion
    • 3 instances of Kontakt5 for tuned percussion
    • 2 instances of Kontakt5 for ensemble instruments
    • 6 instances of Kontakt5 for keyboards & miscellaneous instruments
    • 6 instances of VIPro (all of the Special Editions Volume 1 loaded)
    • 2 instances of Toontrack Superior 2
    • 32 synth tracks
    Now obviously I do not use every single track, and with background loading ALL of the Kontakt stuff is loaded fully purged, so I am only using the memory that I absolutely need. And not every instance has 16 instruments loaded - I try to divide by instrument family to make things a little more organized.

There are times where I'm above 30GB of memory in use, and the machine does start to complain at that point.

Why work that way? Well that's personal preference I guess - I do not have all my Kontakt libraries at my fingertips, but I do have the majority of my strings, brass, winds, percussion and keyboards ready, and I have some of the specialty stuff that I (over?) use ready as well. A couple of the "miscellaneous" instances of Kontakt are reserved for stuff I might want to add on the fly.

Oh yeah, settings - mine are almost identical to yours, which makes sense since  I spent a great deal of time tweaking them when I put the 1818VSL into service, and I never bothered to test again when I added the Apollo Twin.

I use 24 bit word length for everything.

I was using 48 kHz for live audio, but recently I've been experimenting with 96 kHz for love audio and 48 kHz for virtual instruments (love that  I can mix and match). Not that  most sample libraries provide choices of sample rate<G>!

For tracking I keep the ASIO Buffer Size at 64, or even 32 if I can get away with it. For mixing I'll bump up the buffer size to at least 128, and sometimes 256 if I am running into problems. Record/Playback I/O Buffers are set to 512k.

Do you see anything obviously wrong?

I definitely want to re-purpose the old DAW (Q6600) as an audio/MIDI interface for the hardware synths using VEPro. Doesn't cost me anything but a little time and probably some hair pulling.

I'd love to skip over a third machine for Kontakt if I can. Not that I'm cheap or anything<G>...

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/18 23:36:27 (permalink)
    Wow - I would never have guessed in a million years that someone would build projects with close to a thousand tracks in them, and I have absolutely ZERO experience with things that stacked.

I was aware of at least one other individual who at least at one point a couple years ago was running with templates that pretty much loaded every single thing he had, and he too had into the hundreds of tracks and synths that were loaded but never actually accessed.

To the best of my understanding, he just didn't feel like dealing with picking and choosing for full orchestral projects, so he just loaded it ALL in, all the time.

Do you get into freezing things as they get to where you are ready to move on to another section?  I suppose if this is really how you want to approach it, I suppose trying to move to a system with a CPU and motherboard that can deal with 64 GB memory would be the last frontier that comes to mind, other than as I indicated either freezing or bouncing things that can be, as soon as practical, to free up resources and reduce load on the system.

I just don't EVER come within several hundred tracks or soft synth instances of what you apparently load and run on a regular basis, so I have very little to offer.

I DO hope that you come up with a way to work with things so that you don't run out of running threshold at a crucial spot in any of your projects.

I would be quite curious as to what research you have done with targeted freezing/bouncing, in terms of freed up resources.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    wst3
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/19 07:47:23 (permalink)
    Freezing and bouncing certainly free up resources, but I haven't needed to do that, yet. For the most part when  I run into problems with playback it is a stutter or a click and bumping up the latency gets me back on track.

As far as workflow goes - I'd give my right... turn signal for an orchestral library that occupied one track per instrument, and included all the articulations in each track, accessible via CCs. That would reduce my template to what, 35-40 MIDI tracks and 35-40 audio tracks for the orchestra. Pretty significant savings!

But library developers don't ask me<G>!

So the choices are:
    1) build on the fly and load only those instruments and articulations you need
    2) work with a template

As libraries increase is capabilities (and size) and until there is a uniform way to handle multiple articulations per track I think the template wins because loading on the fly is a real concentration breaker. At least for me.

Second (and third, and so on) machine is the easiest way to manage the load today. Not entirely true, I suspect a single machine with 64 GB  would do the  trick too, but I don't feel like building a new primary DAW right now.

Thanks,

Bill

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Siluroo
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/19 08:29:11 (permalink)
    wst3

So the choices are:
    2) work with a template

3) win the lottery, or save up, mabye even rob a bank, and then invest in dual cpu XEON mainboard such as https://www.endpcnoise.co...audio_workstation.html

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, i5-3570K @ 3.40Ghz
    16 GB RAM, 2x2TB WD 7200 rpm HDD's
    AMD Radeon HD7950, Steinberg UR-44
    Novation SL MKII Midi Keyboard
    3 Acoustic Guitars, Yamaha PSR-E33 Keyboard
    Sonar Platinum, Cubase Pro 8.5
    Z3ta +2, Rapture Pro, AAS Modelling Collection
    Plus all the other stuff
    Grave Protocol
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/19 17:57:03 (permalink)
    @wst3 - Thanks for the layout.  I don't presently use that much stuff because I can't - I am at 24 / 48 and going to 96khz and 192khz puts me past the cpu limits.

I wish I had a clearer understanding of how RAM is used, but at my 16GB limit, if that gets maxed out which is soooo easy using Kontakt libraries and such, then the cpu has to start trying to swap stuff out from hard disk to RAM.  I just OC'ed my RAM for a 12-15% boost, and it is slightly noticeable, but it won't be enough for long. I'll max out my RAM soon, then I can load more libraries, then I'm out of machine power again :)  Most of this at 48khz is not so bad UNTIL I start trying to track a bass or guitar through VSTs with little latency.

Time for VEPro and slave machines I guess.

@Siluroo - I have been thinking about going dual cpu for my next board, and on those boards you can get RAM slots for days.  The caveat being that you end up trading thread count for clock count.  Still thinking about it.
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/20 08:28:30 (permalink)
    I would recommend to stick with one computer whenever possible. Note that 24+ cores and 128GB+ RAM system are no longer expensive, I mean for those who need them and use MCU, UAD, RME, etc. I do not have personal experience running such workstations under consumer Windows, I have heard compatibility should be checked first (most companies are selling them with Linux). But I could compare serving 400+ desktop PC as a farm with even more total resources in rack format. The idea (not my) for the first solution was "big money saving", but I would never plan to use it for anything serious again. I understand that 3-5 desktops can work more or less smooth, but why worry with tricky setup when it makes no difference in final numbers? (I mean not only the price of hardware, but the time to setup and serve, power consumption, possible heating problems, strange communication problems, etc.)

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/24 16:30:41 (permalink)
    Hammerhole
    @wst3 - Thanks for the layout.  I don't presently use that much stuff because I can't - I am at 24 / 48 and going to 96khz and 192khz puts me past the cpu limits.

I wish I had a clearer understanding of how RAM is used, but at my 16GB limit, if that gets maxed out which is soooo easy using Kontakt libraries and such, then the cpu has to start trying to swap stuff out from hard disk to RAM.  I just OC'ed my RAM for a 12-15% boost, and it is slightly noticeable, but it won't be enough for long. I'll max out my RAM soon, then I can load more libraries, then I'm out of machine power again :)  Most of this at 48khz is not so bad UNTIL I start trying to track a bass or guitar through VSTs with little latency.

Time for VEPro and slave machines I guess.

@Siluroo - I have been thinking about going dual cpu for my next board, and on those boards you can get RAM slots for days.  The caveat being that you end up trading thread count for clock count.  Still thinking about it.

There's the problem. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/27 14:59:38 (permalink)
    wst3
    Freezing and bouncing certainly free up resources, but I haven't needed to do that, yet. For the most part when  I run into problems with playback it is a stutter or a click and bumping up the latency gets me back on track.

As far as workflow goes - I'd give my right... turn signal for an orchestral library that occupied one track per instrument, and included all the articulations in each track, accessible via CCs. That would reduce my template to what, 35-40 MIDI tracks and 35-40 audio tracks for the orchestra. Pretty significant savings!

But library developers don't ask me<G>!

So the choices are:
    2) work with a template

As libraries increase is capabilities (and size) and until there is a uniform way to handle multiple articulations per track I think the template wins because loading on the fly is a real concentration breaker. At least for me.

Second (and third, and so on) machine is the easiest way to manage the load today. Not entirely true, I suspect a single machine with 64 GB  would do the  trick too, but I don't feel like building a new primary DAW right now.

Thanks,

Bill

I am a bit confused about how you are dealing with articulations.

I use EastWest and Kontakt for sample-based instruments, and for an instrument where articulations are needed, I will usually insert one additional midi track for that instrument, but pointing it's midi output assignment to the same synth-rack instance of that instrument, so both midi tracks point to the same loaded instrument.  

I then in the 2nd midi track insert individual note-events for the appropriate key-switch for the articulation I want, between one note and the next from the 1st track's midi data.

What I mean is that if I need to change from one vibrato type to another, or to simply add one of the vibrato articulations for a solo violin instrument, I will record the played notes on the original midi track, and then between the last note before the vibrato is to occur, and the note that needs the vibrato, I will insert the needed key-switch note event to the 2nd midi track - at that precise gap between the two notes, so the 2nd midi track contains nothing but articulation key-switch events.

Doing articulations for myself, in the above manner, keeps a single instance of the given instrument, and very little data on a 2nd midi track, and this keeps me from having to use multiple instances of the same instrument, saving resources.

For the EastWest instruments, like Gypsy solo violin, they have multiple instruments, but I use I believe it is the Master instrument, which has all the key-switches set up, and then I have a printed document I keep handy for my usually-used instruments, with the articulation key-switch chart from the EastWest documentation copied/pasted to fit on a single page.

I wasn't quite sure how you approach dealing with articulations, from my read of your quoted post, so I thought I would share what I do.

Bob Bone

post edited by robert_e_bone - 2016/07/27 15:21:55

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Multi PC DAW Configuration? 2016/07/28 07:53:19 (permalink)
    My orchestral template (EWQLSO) is fully loaded and consists of approx 135 tracks

In the vast majority of cases, each instrument, say 1st violins, take up 3 tracks - Audio, Midi & another Midi for keyswitching.
    The keyswitch tracks are actually drum maps which I view "stacked" in the PRV with the Note midi track underneath the drum map.

The whole thing takes up about 9Gb of RAM

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1