Multi headphone outs in a recording situation more of me and all of that type of thing....

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2011/01/14 22:28:05 (permalink)

Multi headphone outs in a recording situation more of me and all of that type of thing....

Hi Guys

Ive been wondering in Sonar If I was to say be recording a full band wanting to do live tracks so thats say 4 head phone mixes

Obviously there not all going to want to hear the same amount of each instrument so what would I do in this situation ?

Obviously I would need a headphone amp because the Vs700 only has 2 but would I need another mixing desk and make sends from the VS 700 to that then to the head phone amp?

I have only ever done recording track by track but this has had me wondering how Iwould do it if I needed to.

Also what would I need to buy ?

Thanks guys

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

11 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Multi headphone outs in a recording situation more of me and all of that type of thing. 2011/01/14 23:09:46 (permalink)
    You could try something like this

http://pro-audio.musician...e-Amplifier?sku=182040

http://pro-audio.musician...adphone-Amp?sku=620994

http://pro-audio.musician...adphone-Amp?sku=621107

http://www.musiciansfrien.com/navigation?q=jam+hub

There are plenty of different headphone amplifiers available. Just a quick search at Musicians Friend turned up a lot. If you want to have headphone mixes that allow users to adjust the sound of multiple channels then you're getting into mixer territory. There are mixers that can do that but they cost a bit more than headphone amps. The Jam Hub looks interesting as it seems to incorporate more mixing features than your average headphone amp.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Multi headphone outs in a recording situation more of me and all of that type of thing. 2011/01/14 23:56:27 (permalink)
    It all depends on how your latencies can be setup. If you are getting very low latencies through your computer and back out for monitoring purposes, then you can create all those headphone mixes on busses in Sonar and send those busses out to the analog outs on your VS700R eg 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 etc 4 stereo phone mixes at once.

Then you will need a headphone amp distribution system and many of them allow for two inputs at once and some individual headphone amps can have their own stereo inputs feeding them especially.

But this is only good if you can get the lowest possibly latency on your computer so no real audible delays are present. But if the delays are present then you are sort of stuck. This is where another mixer comes into its own and you feed all the mic inputs into it and then from it into your VS700R. The mixer can usually setup latency free monitoring especially if its analog or evan a digital mixer can do it as well.

If you are going to be doing this on a regular basis you really need to setup for it and be able to patch it quickly. eg a second mixing console. Or at least a bunch of audio interfaces that can do it and offer zero latency monitoring. But you can only get another 8 channels working with the VS700R for a max of 16 inputs mostly.

I was getting away with the VS700R and using the direct mixer to setup a lesser number of headphone mixes. At least the direct mixer has zero latency. If the band can survive with a lesser number of headphone mixes and many can, its easier. Its often just a matter of getting the headphone mix right in the first place so most people can hear everything. Take your time here it is well worth it in the long run. Do not rush setting up the headphone mix anytime. It is where many engineers go wrong and it causes much grief once you start tracking and playing later.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Multi headphone outs in a recording situation more of me and all of that type of thing. 2011/01/15 10:07:56 (permalink)
    If you are setting up a studio, where you'll be recording many different bands and artists.... I would recommend the Aviom A-16  system. Probably the sweetest headphone mix on the market (that I know about).

The church I attend uses it. It picks the signals off of the inputs to the board, and puts it into a digital signal. You network the A-16's on a data network. Each person gets one of the A-16 controllers, and they can easily set their own levels of the various instruments and vocals going into the board. Settings can be saved into presets for quick recall of a particular sound scene.

A bit pricey for a home studio or a band but sweet for someone doing this commercially. Everyone sets their own headphone mix.... no more arguments.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:Multi headphone outs in a recording situation more of me and all of that type of thing. 2011/01/16 12:18:08 (permalink)
    Norrie,

One of these http://www.samash.com/p/Samson_Sphone%20Four%20Channel%20Headphone%20Amplifier_-49977293 is cheap and loud enough for use while recording. The important feature is separate stereo inputs for each channel. In essense it is 4 little amplifiers in one case. I use this one all the time.

In Sonar, set up four aux busses and assign the output of each bus to a separate pair of the VS-700 outputs. Then set up a Send on the Master bus to each of the aux busses and also create a send from any tracks that you want to highlight inthe mixes.

For instance, if the vocal headphone bus is Aux1, put a send to that bus on the vocals track. That way you can boost the vocals on just the vocal headphone bus by playing with the send levels. Repeat as necessary.

Finally, plug the 1/4" unbalanced output pairs from the VS-700 into the 1/4" stereo inputs on the headphone amp. You'll need a Y connector for each pair.
    Norrie
    Re:Multi headphone outs in a recording situation more of me and all of that type of thing. 2011/01/16 15:20:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the info guys :)

You have all given me a lot of great info to think about I wont be needing to work this out for the next month or so

I am in the middle of looking for a place to have my mxing room and live room then I will need to make sure I can do this

I have always been lucky that when I have recorded anyone they have all been happy with what they hear is but ive never recorded more than a couple of people at a time and never had to do a live recording of a full band always tracking each instrument seperate

I guess all it would take is for one person to be not happy with the sound so I need to be able to make sure I can deal with that when it happens :)

I like the Idea of the jam hub with the remotes aswell that would be cool so they can all be in control of there own mix then theres no blameing me if they can hear anything :P the samson looks good for the funds and also the aviom looks awesome.

Like Jeff said though it might be worth my while with a desk just incase of latency problems

I dont seem to have trouble with latency at all and I can track all day at 7.2ms with no problems no latency and the computers not breaking a swet but for the price of a chee mising desk it mght be worth while

A lot of food for thought you guys have given me :)

Thanks to everyone for all your help and info I just need to decide whats going to be best for my situation and I dealy it would be nice to give every one playing control of there own mix then I can sit back and wory about my own:)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Multi headphone outs in a recording situation more of me and all of that type of thing. 2011/01/17 04:52:39 (permalink)
    Norrie, I've got one of these which works well for distributing headphone signals around. Setting up individual mixes is beyond it's capabilities, but it's been rock solid for me for over 10 years, and of course you can rackmount it.

Pair it with a desk which has enough sends and you're laughing.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=headphone+amps&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17053228159197230990&os=reviews

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    jimmyrage
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Multi headphone outs in a recording situation more of me and all of that type of thing. 2011/01/17 05:28:02 (permalink)
    If you get a headphone amp with an aux. input per channel you can use it to alter what is sent to certain channels. For example you could send an additional vocal to 1 or 2 channels and not the others.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Multi headphone outs in a recording situation more of me and all of that type of thing. 2011/01/17 12:16:35 (permalink)
    I would recommend the Aviom A-16 system.

They had one of the coolest booths at NAMM this year. That's a real airplane:

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Multi headphone outs in a recording situation more of me and all of that type of thing. 2011/01/17 12:33:55 (permalink)
    Audio and airplanes..... wow!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Multi headphone outs in a recording situation more of me and all of that type of thing. 2011/01/17 12:47:56 (permalink)
    Funny thing is, I watched them setting up that booth Wednesday night, came back again on Thursday, walked past it many times the next two days because it was in a hallway location -- and still had no idea what product they were selling! The airplane was a good attention-getter but did little to drive home the product image. I made a point of taking a photo of the actual product so I'd remember what it was they were really advertising:

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Norrie
    Re:Multi headphone outs in a recording situation more of me and all of that type of thing. 2011/01/17 17:47:49 (permalink)
    Haha cool

Did you ask then what the deal with the plane was ? was it an on the day deal buy a Aviom A-16 and take home a free plane :D

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1