Multiband compressor to tame guitar palm mutes?

Author
Thomas Campitelli
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 598
2006/07/16 13:08:43 (permalink)

Multiband compressor to tame guitar palm mutes?

Howdy Folks,

I am working to complete mixing of about ten songs for my album. Most of the songs have heavy rhythm guitars that were recorded using various distored sounds from a Line 6 POD. I like the sounds, but excessive bass is a bit of a problem during palm-muted sections. It sounded good during tracking, but once it is in the mix, the 100 to 200 Hz area can get a bit crowded. The palm mutes can make certain speakers sound like they are overloading. I want some nice low end thump, but I don't want things to sound muddy. Applying EQ helps, but I often cannot tame the loudest mutes without making the rest of the track sound thin.

In comes Sonar 5, with its mighty impressive array of Sonitus effects. I've started to play around with the multiband compressor just to squash the lows and low mids (below 350 Hz). I set my knee pretty hard (3 db), the attack very low (15 ms), my ratio is reasonable (3:1), and I try and keep the threshold set so that I cut no more than about 3 db from these two channels. I want to tame the low end-transients. I am encouraged by the results so far. Does anyone else use this effect for this purpose, or am I missing something simpler? Using the normal Sonitus compressor colored the sound too much for my tastes.

Thomas Campitelli
http://www.crysknifeband.com

7 Replies Related Threads

chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: Multiband compressor to tame guitar palm mutes? 2006/07/16 14:34:41 (permalink)
    I would suggest placing highpass filters on each of the guitar tracks and tweaking them to where they will stand cut better through the mix. Start at around 200Hz-250Hz and work from there.

Fwiw..... It is hard to give advise without actually hearing the mix, but this will get you started.

edit..... Try placing the EQ before and after the compressor and see which one works best for the mix.
    post edited by chaz - 2006/07/16 14:47:04
    Thomas Campitelli
    RE: Multiband compressor to tame guitar palm mutes? 2006/07/16 16:07:42 (permalink)
    Howdy Chaz,

Thank you for the quick reply. In your opinion, should multi-band compression only be used for mastering, or is there a place for it on individual tracks? I'm using the built-in Sonitus EQ on S5PE as my high pass filter and I am only cutting a few dB with it. I will give it a try both before and after the compressor. Thanks again for your help.

Thomas Campitelli
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Multiband compressor to tame guitar palm mutes? 2006/07/16 16:55:47 (permalink)
    you could put an automated EQ envelope on the track and only low-cut during the CHUG CHUG parts.

The Poodle Chews It.

Thomas Campitelli
    RE: Multiband compressor to tame guitar palm mutes? 2006/07/16 17:54:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Clydewinder

you could put an automated EQ envelope on the track and only low-cut during the CHUG CHUG parts.

I could do that, but that would require dozens, if not hundreds of EQ automations. I might be able to do a copy and paste to get it right, but I want to save myself some time, if possible. That's when I started thinking about multiband. I wanted something subtle to back the chugs off for me.

Thomas Campitelli
    chaz
    RE: Multiband compressor to tame guitar palm mutes? 2006/07/16 18:31:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Thomas Campitelli

Howdy Chaz,

Thank you for the quick reply. In your opinion, should multi-band compression only be used for mastering, or is there a place for it on individual tracks? I'm using the built-in Sonitus EQ on S5PE as my high pass filter and I am only cutting a few dB with it. I will give it a try both before and after the compressor. Thanks again for your help.

Here is my thought on multiband compression.....

It should only be saved for the mastering stage. If one finds themself using it on individual tracks of a mix, something is definitely wrong. I have been mixing for over 30 years and have not once used multiband compression in a mix. I have used it in mastering only on occasion, but only sparingly.

Hope this helps.
    chaz
    RE: Multiband compressor to tame guitar palm mutes? 2006/07/16 18:35:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Clydewinder

This could be done without the use of any automation whatsoever. All you have to do is find the sweet spot that will cover everything or divide the tracks so the parts are seperated and treated differently fromn each other. Then again, I would have to hear the track to give specific advise.
    Thomas Campitelli
    RE: Multiband compressor to tame guitar palm mutes? 2006/07/16 21:45:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chaz
    Here is my thought on multiband compression.....

It should only be saved for the mastering stage. If one finds themself using it on individual tracks of a mix, something is definitely wrong.

Thank you, Chaz. I will see what I can accomplish with EQ alone.

Thomas Campitelli
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1