Multiple AttackDecayRelease - DP/RP Tutorial

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2006/08/06 15:00:14 (permalink)

Multiple AttackDecayRelease - DP/RP Tutorial

This tutorial delves into creating multi-stage envelopes using the node/segment scheme in Dimension, DP, and Rapture. It mixes 'reversed' attacks, 'hard- & soft-edged' decay, 'echoed' releases and sustained tones in an illustrated patch construction. Later sections expand on looping envelope segments and some optional finishing touches that transform the sound into a distinct second patch.

At the Project5 Wiki (part of the long overdue "The Envelopes, Please ..." series; finally in progress).

9 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Multiple AttackDecayRelease - DP/RP Tutorial 2006/08/06 23:15:46 (permalink)
    Thanks, Tom! Looking forward to these...User wiki's are great!
    Melvin J.
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: Multiple AttackDecayRelease - DP/RP Tutorial 2006/08/07 12:07:49 (permalink)
    Oh, this very nice B, thank you very much. This has cleared up a lot of questions that I was a bit too afraid to ask. Please keep up the great work. Thanks again.
    Mel
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Multiple AttackDecayRelease - DP/RP Tutorial 2006/08/07 13:45:25 (permalink)
    Ok, I can deal with the multi-attack/decay envelopes, but tutorial pictures with psychodelic colors? This is too much.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    MusicMaker5
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: Multiple AttackDecayRelease - DP/RP Tutorial 2006/08/07 14:40:11 (permalink)
    Great Job b rock!!!!

I happen to like to colors. Adds character to all of that technology.

Daniel

See me at http://www.danielnevels.com

Hear my music at http://www.ShofarMusic.Com
    B.M.M, BA Music, CEA
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Multiple AttackDecayRelease - DP/RP Tutorial 2006/08/08 23:16:03 (permalink)
    Whew. I'm so glad that I retained editorial rights in my tutorial 'contract'. The graphics are getting a little over-the-top, but there is a method to all this in the overall scheme: the progression has meaning. As always, all submissions are backed by a 100% money-back guarantee.

Thanks for the comments. For those of you who tried it, there is one thing that I should've added (and still can). For anyone with a sustain pedal, you can use it to (in effect) postpone the Note Off messages sent to the envelope generators. As an example: if you take the tutorial as far as the first looping example [to Fig. 4c], you can use the sustain pedal and the loop to fashion a type of "sample & hold" device.

The slow multiple attacks will loop continuously as long as you have the pedal down, and each note played will have its own loop sequence playing. The "sync" among looping multi-attack phrases is determined by the timing with which you play in the notes. You can get some very complex looping sequences generated that are continuously variable according to note input and scales used.

And when you release the pedal: Bam. The door suddenly slams shut with a staccato chord and four 'echoes'. Those consist of the notes held in the last looping phrase. Simple patch, but with a surprising amount of complexity possible in the sound results.
    three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: Multiple AttackDecayRelease - DP/RP Tutorial 2006/08/09 02:49:05 (permalink)
    For those of you who tried it, there is one thing that I should've added (and still can). For anyone with a sustain pedal, you can use it to (in effect) postpone the Note Off messages sent to the envelope generators. As an example: if you take the tutorial as far as the first looping example [to Fig. 4c], you can use the sustain pedal and the loop to fashion a type of "sample & hold" device.

The slow multiple attacks will loop continuously as long as you have the pedal down, and each note played will have its own loop sequence playing. The "sync" among looping multi-attack phrases is determined by the timing with which you play in the notes. You can get some very complex looping sequences generated that are continuously variable according to note input and scales used.

And when you release the pedal: Bam. The door suddenly slams shut with a staccato chord and four 'echoes'. Those consist of the notes held in the last looping phrase. Simple patch, but with a surprising amount of complexity possible in the sound results.

Where is the smiley shakin' its head in amazement when you need it.

have a good one
    3Eo
    MusicMaker5
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: Multiple AttackDecayRelease - DP/RP Tutorial 2006/08/09 10:01:20 (permalink)
    Yep

Totally Blown Away.....

Daniel

See me at http://www.danielnevels.com

Hear my music at http://www.ShofarMusic.Com
    B.M.M, BA Music, CEA
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Multiple AttackDecayRelease - DP/RP Tutorial 2006/08/12 15:10:54 (permalink)
    Awesome b. The graphics... is the vodka that bad in Miami?

-René
    Jim Wright
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1218
    RE: Multiple AttackDecayRelease - DP/RP Tutorial 2006/08/12 16:07:00 (permalink)
    Thanks, b! Makes me even happier I just "Pro'd up"!

- Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1