Multiple MIDI tracks output to same instrument track?

Author
Calkwalker
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
2010/11/19 02:19:53 (permalink)

Multiple MIDI tracks output to same instrument track?

I made a recording with some audio tracks and 6 MIDI tracks, and then I added an instrument track and set the output of all 6 MIDI tracks to that one instrument track.

Now I find that if I drop the fader position on any one of the MIDI tracks, it drops the volume of all six.  Is there any way to mix the volume of the 6 MIDI tracks individually, or does SONAR not support that?

Asked another way, if I want to mix the 6 MIDI tracks individually (fader / pan / EQ / etc), do I have to insert 6 instrument tracks, one for each MIDI track?

4 Replies Related Threads

lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:Multiple MIDI tracks output to same instrument track? 2010/11/19 02:32:36 (permalink)
    It depends on what VST you are using and whether you can separate the tracks to channels in the VST.  However, some controls are going to be like a master control for the total output of the VST(eg Volume CC7).  I usually will open up a new instance of the VST for each track to ensure I can control all aspects of it easier. If you freeze the synth they are all lumped together and if you want 1 instrument loader it is more difficult to accomplish.  With individual instances you have much more flexibility after the fact to make slight changes.
    Calkwalker
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re:Multiple MIDI tracks output to same instrument track? 2010/11/19 02:49:28 (permalink)
    I'm using Dimension Pro in this project, in SONAR 8.5 Producer.  I don't remember making any selections when I initialized Dimension Pro in regard to DX or VST versions, so it it is the default configuration.

The 6 MIDI tracks were input on 6 different MIDI channels.  They are independent.  They are assigned to 6 separate channels in the project, and all routed to the Dimension Pro synth track.

From what you said, it sounds like there's nothing wrong with inserting 6 Dimension Pro instrument tracks (or a mix of different synths for that matter), and routing the output of each MIDI track to its own instrument.  It would actually be a better setup.  It means a bit more work to set up, but then I could easily mix the MIDI tracks independently, which is what I want to do.

Did I understand you correctly?

Thanks.
    lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:Multiple MIDI tracks output to same instrument track? 2010/11/19 04:11:55 (permalink)
    Yes, that should work well for you.  Panning and levels are much easier to accomplish with that scenario.   You can also clone midi tracks and send them to 2 different synths as well for layering to add to the fullness of the sound as well.  I do that a lot with brass instruments. Usually when I do that I also use Franks Midi plug in using the Humanize utility so both tracks aren't exactly identical.  There is also a CAL humanize in Sonar that you can use for that but I find Franks easier to use and quicker.  It costs a few bucks but I found t was worth it.

http://www.midi-plugins.de/
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Multiple MIDI tracks output to same instrument track? 2010/11/19 07:15:41 (permalink)
    Do you have Dem Pro set to multi-trimbral mode? And why use an instrument track when you have six midi channels inputting? The six channels have been grouped. I'm not sure why. It seems a split synth track would be better for this.

Craig DuBuc
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1