Multiple soundcards

Author
jimmy77611
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
2009/04/01 21:32:34 (permalink)

Multiple soundcards

I'm currently using Sonar PE 8 and a Delta 1010lt on a Windows XP based DAW. Can I add another soundcard, like a usb or firewire of a different brand? Will I see both devices in my Sonar input selection menu? When I open the Sonar ASIO panel, it opens my Delta control panel. Will it open both control panels if I'm able to use another card?

4 Replies Related Threads

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    RE: Multiple soundcards 2009/04/02 02:07:32 (permalink)
    Mixing interfaces is fraught with problems of timing. They need to run off the same clock.

I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that the Delta series are not capable of slaving from another source only providing master clock, but check your manual. Having said that, I believe it is possible to run 2 delta cards together with one providing the master clock but I've not tried that (I had a 44 for a short while). Again the manual should provide details

If you do get them to clock correctly you won't be able to run ASIO drivers as they by design limit you to one interface. WDM is capable of running 2 together and I run 2 interfaces with great success using ASIO4ALL which is more stable and provides lower latency times on my system. I also have no apparent timing link between my DMX6Fire24/96 and Alesis Multimix and it works great but in theory shouldn't. It also took a great deal of trial and error to get it all together.

The best advice I can give is do your research before you buy. If the 1010 can't provide a digital timing signal to another device (which is capable of receiving it) then the short answer is no. If it can the answer is, in theory yes.

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Multiple sound cards 2009/04/02 07:33:26 (permalink)
    ASIO only supports one card at a time and using 2 different cards in WDM mode will cause problems due to clocking. you either need to get a bigger sound card with more inputs or get 2 of the same cards making sure the cards can be daisy chained together. Most cards cant, but motu, and RME and Lynx can. Or you can get a preamps with light pipe connection or digital connections if you need more inputs.
    Your delta can be daisy chained to another delta though, so maybe get another one of those

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Klinke777
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Multiple sound cards 2009/04/10 13:33:02 (permalink)
    Hi, i have a Delta1010lt and DeltaAudiophile2496, both M-audio.

No problem....U can run them as one card. When you put them in-sync(like this gay boygroup..). ...And yes it just works with Delta-family(-driver).

Look at the M-audio FAQ (mainsite)for details.

You have to install the 1010lt first(im nor sure how it was exactly) . Just build One!! card in the desktop. The 1010lt first was better..i think.
    When one is running shut computer down and install the smaller one. Connect the spdif output of the 1010lt with spdif input of the smaller card(my case..)
    This you do with a normal Chinch-cable(and u just need one wire).
    in the controlpanel in ur taskbar u can choose 2 cards and all settings of the 2.
    -then just set the smaller cards(second build-in) Master-clock section to spdif in. It should be locked then. Underneath u let Multitrackdevices on : Single and in-sync.
    This way the both cards appear as one for all programs. U loose one spdif connection on both cards but get some nice audio inputs in the whole procedur.
    In the Daw/instrument set the channels. Ready for action.
    post edited by Klinke777 - 2009/04/10 13:50:57
    Cookie Jarvis
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Multiple sound cards 2009/04/18 22:53:46 (permalink)
    I run an Echo Layla 3G, it allows you to run as many cards as you have available PCI slots. You just need to choose which card is Master and slave the others using sync cables :)

Bill

If I had a hammer....I'd be dangerous ;)

http://www.reverbnation.com/daylight
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1