Music Creator 2

Author
jdcart
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2010/08/05 19:30:31 (permalink)

Music Creator 2

I have MC 2.  I realize that it is no longer supported, but I have reason to believe that it has been disabled by Cakewalk.  This would seem to me to be illegal since there was no time-frame on the original purchase license.  I am contemplating on contacting my lawyer just on the principle of it.  An email to Cakewalk has received no response.  If a product is doing its purpose, I see no need to upgrade and have to relearn the software.  Any advice or comments from forum members?

15 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/05 19:39:17 (permalink)
    Yeah.... MC2 is old but NO...cake walk doesn't shut off their old software.

Most likely, the program will NOT run on the newer operating systems. A buddy of mine has MC2..... I think it's on XP.....

So...... what OS are you trying to run it on? If it's Vista or W7, that could be the reason it doesn't run.   As I understand it.... MC4, which I have and use on Vista will NOT run on W7...which is why they have MC5 released now......

Cake doesn't support MC with any version other than on email or here..... MC2 is not supported because it is too old.

Tell us what computer and what OS you are trying to run it on and we will help where and if we can.

Lawyers are a waste of time and money for a $40 more than 3 generations back program, don't you think? I'm sure they will take your money...loots of it to file a case...... but if it was me..... I'd just spend the money on a few upgrades and be happy.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/08/05 19:41:35

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/05 19:41:42 (permalink)

Well, OK then.

That seems a bit drastic and silly.

I'm sure it was not disabled however it may not work with your current/new operating system. Technology moves quickly in today's world and software products that are 10 years old are no longer compatible with today's operating systems.

You can't really expect Cakewalk to offer updates and patches eternally for a 10 year old, 30 dollar program.

I suppose you could always "downgrade" your computer so that it will fit the system requirements of the old software.

An easier solution would be to shell out the 30 or 40 bucks and get the more current version of the software.

Pete

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/05 22:22:42 (permalink)
    I hope your lawyer has a sense of humor.
    Actually, I hope you come to your senses before you approach him with such an absurd notion.

"If a product is doing its purpose, I see no need to upgrade and have to relearn the software."

This statement leads me to believe you are using MC2 on an older computer, which was fine perhaps, when it was new.
    Do you allow MS updates to your OS? It's possible an update has caused a conflict with MC, or more likely, with drivers for sound devices.
    Do you do any major housekeeping on your system?
    In time, the heads on your HD will drift out of alignment, causing some files and programs to be inaccesable.
    Reformatting the drive(s) and reloading the software is a tedious procedure, but keeps the system in tune. I do it every year or two.
    if you are having problems with older software, on an older machine, it is most likely a resulf of mechanical failure or software corruption. The notion that Cakewalk deliberately disabled your software is rather silly.
    That's my thoughts.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/05 23:07:33 (permalink)
    lol!  this is so funny I literally laughed out loud!

you're going to contact a lawyer because you feel they are ripping you off for a $40 piece of software?  the lawyer will cost you a minimum of $200 just for him/her just to send cakewalk a formal letter.  costs go up from there.  cakewalk obviously didn't reply to your email because they have no response to a threat like that. 

ok - drama out of the way, the older software does not have a time limit or a disabling function.  as these guys have said above, if you'll give us some more information we might could help you with it IF you're using it on a machine that's capable of running MC2.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/05 23:53:54 (permalink)
    Well, I learned something new. You can get a new copy of MC2 from Amazon.com for $49.97 or a used version for $33.90. According to their site this software should work on Windows XP / NT / Me / 2000 / 98 . 

If anyone is interested here's a link ... It's worth reading the reviews.
    Amazon MC2

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Beagle
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/06 06:59:56 (permalink)
    it doesn't surprise me that amazon would have listings for MC2 new in box.  some companies out there must still have some inventory available.  and while it doesn't surprise me that they have used ones for sale because the people selling the used ones either don't know better or if they do then cakewalk hasn't pursued them to get them removed (I've been told that there is cakewalk staff who regularly file complaints with ebay, amazon and others for resale of their software).

the reviews don't surprise me either.  people get the software, put it on their system and expect it to work right out of the box without any "work" from them.  marketing for cake is a big part of the blame for that, but so is our "immediate gratification" society.  99% of those users could have come to the forum and gotten help to get running.  most of them just need to change to MME driver mode or download ASIO4ALL.

jdcart
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/06 17:44:14 (permalink)
    Mr. Beagle, I wonder if you get a paycheck from Cakewalk?
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/06 18:19:31 (permalink)
    No he gets an extra portion of kibbles and bits!!

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/06 20:48:46 (permalink)
    JD... grow up  and act mature, we are trying to help... we are ALL users, not Cake Staff.... no one here gets paid for this.....

Start again with a respectful attitude or you will get no help at all.

We joke with each other but we also have been here helping one another..... you appear to be the new kid on the block here.......

Wanna give it another try and answer some of our questions?
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/08/06 20:50:28

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/06 22:22:18 (permalink)
    jdcart

Mr. Beagle, I wonder if you get a paycheck from Cakewalk?

nope.  I do this for FREE! 

and will gladly help you if you really want help.  if you just want to make silly threats that no one will take seriously then ??? whatever...

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/06 23:37:51 (permalink)
    It is pretty funny.
    Of course the lawyer will take your money... and tell you it would be pointless to file a lawsuit. After the check clears.

"Mr. Beagle, I wonder if you get a paycheck from Cakewalk?"

See, now if you had written something like "my OS is **** and the computer is X years old. I'm using a ****** sound card and I have ?MB of memory. The problem began when I kept getting 'File not found' messages when I tried to open a project" we could have offered some suggestions that could have helped you.
    Instead you come back with that smart-alecky comment, which doesn't help you, and certainly disinclines us from helping you, too.

So, what OS are you using? How much memory does the computer have? How old is the computer? What problems are you having  with the program that leads you to believe it's been disabled? It won't open at all? Or projects won't open?
    More information on what your problem is can help us help you.
    But if you just wanted comments or advice on the possibility of you contacting a lawyer about sueing Cakewalk over a $40 program, I think that's what you have gotten.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/07 00:16:43 (permalink)
    jdcart

I have reason to believe that it has been disabled by Cakewalk.

My curiosity has gotten the best of me. What might that reason be?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    jdcart
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/07 11:55:15 (permalink)
    OK Guys.  No more MC2.  I now have MC5 for $40 more.  Still a great deal.
    Beagle
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/07 12:26:37 (permalink)
    let us know if you need help with it and we'll be glad to help.

Guitarhacker
    Re:Music Creator 2 2010/08/07 12:36:15 (permalink)
    I just hope you bought the boxed version (it's available at local big box retailers)..... no biggie really.... the DL is OK... but the box version comes with a disk and more stuff is on the disk due to it's ability to hold more samples....

But either way.... it's a great deal.  As Beagle said.... let us know if you need help.

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1