Mute Eleven Rack so can use/hear impulses correctly?

Author
TLTD
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2011/03/06 18:11:01 (permalink)

Mute Eleven Rack so can use/hear impulses correctly?

Eleven Rack is my interface.  I switched back to tried and tru CMC5 after deciding PT will never have my favorite plugins or come close.  However, to use any kind of impulse I can't get it to work like Pro Tools where you hear the effected sound.  You always hear the Eleven Rack sound no matter what.  I can easily record but I have to hear the direct sound and with no cabinet it is hard to know what I am getting.  I use Recabinet 3 and it works great but to make everything tolerable, I have to enable Eleven Racks cabinets and add Recabinet on top of that then it's a bit dull.  This could be a very, very good thing once we figure this out (as in pretty much becomes an Axe FX like sound with the power of impulses).   Recabinet isn't working in my version of Pro Tools either, I MUST figure this out :)  Thanks for any help.

7 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Mute Eleven Rack so can use/hear impulses correctly? 2011/03/06 20:52:49 (permalink)
    If I undertand your question correctly you are wanting to monitor FX real time druing recording?

if that's the case you need to click on the ECHO INPUT button on the track you're wanting to monitor the FX with.

make sure you have your latency set low for the Eleven Rack or you will have an "echo" when you are monitoring with those FX.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    TLTD
    Re:Mute Eleven Rack so can use/hear impulses correctly? 2011/04/13 14:45:53 (permalink)
    Ok, that is helpful but I still have the problem that you always hear the Eleven Rack sound AND the processed sound.  In Pro Tools, there is no sound until you arm a track.  In Cakewalk on my old sound card I had to use the mixer of the sound card to mute the incoming signal THEN do as you said but on the Eleven Rack we don't have a mixer or way to do this.  Yet.  If anyone however figures this out (PT doesn't need a mixer it just does it), let me know.  A lot of people are wanting to fix this with different software DAWs.
    Beagle
    Re:Mute Eleven Rack so can use/hear impulses correctly? 2011/04/13 15:42:36 (permalink)
    ok - I'm sorry, but I'm not getting full understanding of your problem, so you'll need to help me understand what you're talking about.

when you say the Elven Rack sound AND the processed sound - please tell me what you mean by those.  what exactly is the "Eleven Rack sound" and how is that different from the "processed sound"?

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Mute Eleven Rack so can use/hear impulses correctly? 2011/04/13 22:01:52 (permalink)
    If I understand what you're saying...eleven rack (ER) is your interface and it's output goes direct into the computer via USB.

You need to have the echo input turned on so you can hear the effected sound. The ER should be giving you ONLY the effected sound.

It is very similar I'm thinking to my POD2... the output IS the effected sound (includes reverb and all the other FX I have dialed in) I use a Saffire interface and never really gave it a second though..... when I set up my guitar track, select the input from the saffire (in your case the ER) I play the guitar and I hear the pure POD/Gibson sound in my monitors.

When I use amp sims ( not very often) I end up with a combo of clean and effected sound during recording and I hear only the effected sound on playback. The effected level is much higher than the clean so it doesn't bother me when I use those sims.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Mute Eleven Rack so can use/hear impulses correctly? 2011/04/14 00:37:43 (permalink)
    So, Eleven Rack is your interface, but you had to use another interface's (your old sound card) mixer to mute the incoming signal; can't you do the same thing with the computer you have now?
    Or were you using the audio outs from the Eleven Rack into the old sound card and not the USB connection?
    According to Avid's web site, the Eleven Rack records both the dry signal and the processed signal simultaneously. Is that what you're trying to stop? Or at least trying to stop hearing the dry signal?
    Won't clicking the Mute button on the track recording the dry signal work?
    Maybe not, I've never checked to see if that will mute a recording while recording.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    TLTD
    Re:Mute Eleven Rack so can use/hear impulses correctly? 2012/05/15 05:06:26 (permalink)
    Hi, sorry this is old but never did fix the problem. Unless you are in Pro Tools, you hear the Eleven Rack sound. It is always there no matter if you are in a DAW or not. In Pro Tools, you hear the effected sound never both at the same time. It's impossible to shut the cabinet off and use Redwirez or Ownhammer impulses without also hearing the terrible sound of the cabinet being off. In Pro Tools, you can use MellowMuse IR1A and do it that way but it's not my preffered method to use Pro Tools and I can't get done what I want to get done with my VST plugins. I can enjoy impulses and just jam around, but my method for making music is blown out the window. I hope they fix this some day. I've considered just getting a VS-100 and plugging the Eleven Rack into that but might hold off and buy the Torpedo CAB, which is a stomp box that you can put in your loop and load impulses into. But would save me so much hassle and money if I could get Cakewalk to process the audio and kill that nasty sound. The only other interface I have right now is a Toneport and it sounds terrible trying to plug into that in mono and get anything worth recording.
    Beagle
    Re:Mute Eleven Rack so can use/hear impulses correctly? 2012/05/15 10:12:44 (permalink)
    I don't know anything about PT. 

I cannot imagine a company would deliver a processor unit which does not allow you to adjust the reverb to NONE.  that does not make sense at all.  no one would buy it if you can't adjust the parameters to your taste. 

this is not something that cakewalk can do inherently.  it needs to be removed at the source.  I would never purchase an FX unit which cannot run dry signal through it if desired.  makes no sense at all.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1