Muting MIDI notes in CbB

Author
Dilaco1
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
2018/08/24 14:13:13 (permalink)

Muting MIDI notes in CbB

Only just moved over from Sonar Platinum to the Bandlab version. In Platinum I would mute a MIDI note in the PRV by using Alt + right click. This isn't working in CbB. So how do we do it now? I don't want to have to swap over from the Smart tool to the Mute tool and back again every time.  

Cakewalk by Bandlab; RME Fireface 800 audio interface; Windows 7 (64bit);

12 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Dilaco1
    Re: Muting MIDI notes in CbB 2018/08/25 04:08:57 (permalink)
    Thanks Scook. I guess I should have looked harder for the documentation. I work offline and when I hit CbB's Help tab to bring up the manual it took me to a 'no access to the internet' page.

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Muting MIDI notes in CbB 2018/08/25 04:28:10 (permalink)
    Even with internet access, the help system is still a pain. It involves searching the old Cakewalk web-based help then substituting Cakewalk for SONAR in the Artist/Professional/Platinum url. Occasionally, due to changes between the two products the process fails to return a usable result. Hopefully someday (soon) BandLab will improve this process. I really don't care if they provide only html but it should be searchable and ultimately downloadable for those who cannot maintain an internet connection.
    Brian Cadoret
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: Muting MIDI notes in CbB 2018/08/25 07:25:49 (permalink)
    scook
    Even with internet access, the help system is still a pain. It involves searching the old Cakewalk web-based help then substituting Cakewalk for SONAR in the Artist/Professional/Platinum url. Occasionally, due to changes between the two products the process fails to return a usable result. Hopefully someday (soon) BandLab will improve this process. I really don't care if they provide only html but it should be searchable and ultimately downloadable for those who cannot maintain an internet connection.

+1000 !
    msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Muting MIDI notes in CbB 2018/08/25 09:43:54 (permalink)
    I posted a thread a week or so ago requesting that BandLab make the old SPLAT help file available for download for those who are new to CbB, or came from an earlier version of Sonar.

There's so many RTFM type questions here nowadays, I feel it makes sense to make this available for download. 

I've got SPLAT, so it doesn't affect me, but not everyone has SPLAT.

I guess in theory we could share it, but it really isn't "ours" to share... hence the request to make it available as a download.

Also, having it as a separate download avoids the whole "it's out of date, so we don't want to bundle it with CbB" thing.

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Muting MIDI notes in CbB 2018/08/25 13:47:03 (permalink)
    The old help is wrong in this case. It IS out of date. Sharing it is not answer to the OP or a good idea.

Rather than RTFM threads, publishing an obsolete help file would lead to bad bug reports and reports of broken context searches...probably a worse outcome that not publishing an old help file. Of course, this assumes users would RTFM before posting. Many threads here are the result of not searching the help for solutions.

My guess is the old help is nobody's to share except the old Gibson/Cakewalk company. While BandLab purchased IP from Gibson, they did not purchase the actual products and may not have a distribution agreement.

Rather than publish an out of date and broken help system, the better solution is make the current help searchable. At least those who RTFM before posting would have a decent tool to look for help.
    Dilaco1
    Re: Muting MIDI notes in CbB 2018/08/25 14:17:25 (permalink)
    Yes. I think a good manual is important, especially for something as complex as a DAW. It seems with every update the goal posts are moved, and documentation needs to be easily accessible as a reference for these changes.

These days when I learn something about a plugin or a virtual instrument library I type the information into what becomes a personal manual for that particular product. If I ever forget how a particular function works, or how to access an obscure tool or menu, or whatever, I will often find the answer in my own reference notes. 

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Muting MIDI notes in CbB 2018/08/25 14:29:04 (permalink)
    scook
    The old help is wrong in this case. It IS out of date. Sharing it is not answer to the OP or a good idea.

Rather than RTFM threads, publishing an obsolete help file would lead to bad bug reports and reports of broken context searches...probably a worse outcome that not publishing an old help file. Of course, this assumes users would RTFM before posting. Many threads here are the result of not searching the help for solutions.

My guess is the old help is nobody's to share except the old Gibson/Cakewalk company. While BandLab purchased IP from Gibson, they did not purchase the actual products and may not have a distribution agreement.

Rather than publish an out of date and broken help system, the better solution is make the current help searchable. At least those who RTFM before posting would have a decent tool to look for help.

so, all things considered, they need to get their **** together

just a sec

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Muting MIDI notes in CbB 2018/08/25 14:37:35 (permalink)
    Since we are not privy to the road map it is difficult to make that assessment. But I will say searching CbB help is an issue. The more CbB changes, the bigger this issue becomes and the more difficult the product is to use.
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Muting MIDI notes in CbB 2018/08/25 15:22:00 (permalink)
    after, what, 6 months (?) is it now, i think we don't need to see a road map to suggest they need to get their **** together

just a sec

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Muting MIDI notes in CbB 2018/08/25 15:52:57 (permalink)
    Why not take own advice and provide constructive posts
    Euthymia
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re: Muting MIDI notes in CbB 2018/08/31 12:35:10 (permalink)
    scook
    I really don't care if they provide only html but it should be searchable and ultimately downloadable for those who cannot maintain an internet connection.

I would also really like to see documentation available in e-reader format and even printable for those of us who like to print out and haul around hard copy manuals for our reading pleasure.

In the short term, I'd like to be able to search the documentation for Cakewalk by Bandlab and get results from only the documentation for that program, no advertisements for hand planes and dog grooming supplies when I search for "clip bevel" followed by a redundant list of results regarding long-dead versions of Cakewalk products.

-Erik
    Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1