...18 seconds remaining...
...14 seconds remaining...

*then about 4 minutes later*
...12 seconds remaining...

*then about 5 minutes later*
...8 seconds remaining...

*then anywhere from 3-9 minutes later*
...5 seconds remaining...

*then about 14 minutes later, it's finally done.

So why the countdown then, if you can't actually 'count' on it?
Why even bother?
I mean the 'minutes' seem accurate enough, but anything after '59 seconds and counting', the timing goes right out the 'Window', pardon the pun.
2. Creating A File:
I create a file in one of the on-board stock Windows Programs.
Then I save it.
Then I go to re-open it, and this pops up:

'Windows can't open this file. Windows needs to know which program created this file...'

"Uuhh - let me think for just a moment...

Hmmm... let's see...

OK, well here's a hint -"

"WINDOWS CREATED IT!!!!"  [Me yelling at the computer screen in utter disbelief & frustration!]

"You know - one of your own Programs - on this very computer - just a minute ago?!!"
3. Administrative Rights:
'You need Administrative Permission to access this file - [or perform this task]'.
[Even though I'm already logged on as the Administrator and the only one that uses this computer.]

Then here's the option that kills me -  

'Continue?'

Click that once and I'm instantly past the 'Ultra High Security Zone Level' reserved only for the 'Administrator' -
- just one mouse click - Lol.

So either I'm logged on as the Admin, [as always]
...AND/OR...
just one extra mouse click to bypass the dreaded 'Admin Brick Wall' - Lol

You'd think these simple little things would have been dealt with long ago and non-existent by now.

And this Bill Gates is worth how many billions by now?  

Old55
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19791
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/23 14:24:45 (permalink)
The pop-up message that says something like, "Then end of the world is upon us!".  

Then it only gives you one option:  "OK".

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
jimusic
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1325
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/23 14:50:15 (permalink)
Old55
The pop-up message that says something like, "Then end of the world is upon us!".  

Then it only gives you one option:  "OK".

Haha! Right!

That reminds me of another:

In any given window at any given time, you may see a message that tells you that you can't do something or another, or some type of error and then forces you to have to click 'Ok' -
- before you can do anything else - as if you can do anything else otherwise, instead of just a temporary message that goes away after 5-10 seconds.

Seems quite redundant.
Redundant.
redundant.
redund.
redun.
re.
r.

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/23 15:37:01 (permalink)
No 1 also happens on Mac. ;)

Cant say that the two others have happened here though.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/23 15:55:24 (permalink)
1. I've seen that. Doesn't really bother me.

The other two, never seen those, ever. Just lucky I guess.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/23 16:19:43 (permalink)
1. is unsolvable, Windows has no clue when a download will complete in minutes since it is not in control of the download site, the numbers are estimates based on what it thinks the total file size is and how fast it is receiving data.

2. Is due the fact that Windows did not create the file. The program that you used to create the file did so, using calls to Windows file system as the intermediary. Windows cannot know in advance what type of file will be created by every possible computer program, and cannot know what the file type is except for the file name extension used ( .doc, .cwp, .jpg etc.). In fact if a program (or a user which is how Windows sees a program) decides to save files of different types with the same extension (you can rename a word document with a jpg extension for example) Windows has to allow it albeit with a warning that it may not work as expected. Windows can associate a unique file extension with a particular program, and can make guesses that you want the association of common file types with common programs only, which is what it is complaining about--you have to tell it what program you want to try to open by clicking the file.

3. Is related to the fact that accounts that are members of the administrator group do not have all of the privileges of the account which is named "Administrator." That is why members of the administrator group must use the right click menu option "Run as Administrator" (not run as an administrator/member of the administrators group) to get full privileges. The unnecessary confusion between Administrator and Administrators is just a stupid naming convention that Microsoft chose to adopt, that has caused no end of confusion among users. Incidentally, the actual account named Administrator is hidden from even user members of the Administrators Group and can only be logged on to under special circumstances.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/
Do not do that as a routine, it defeats malware defenses built into windows and is like running Linux as root.
jimusic
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1325
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/23 20:26:21 (permalink)
Wow - thanks for the explanations there Slart.

Sounds like you know quite a bit about Windows. Sure you don't work for Microsoft?

I guess I should have been more specific on #2 - Creating a file.

Instead of Windows creating the file, I meant a fellow Microsoft product within that very Windows computer.

You'd think the 2 would be instantly compatible and recognize each other & sync up right away - you know - being both from Microsoft and all.
Particularly since the program(s) have been installed for a while, and have created, saved & opened files already in the past on the very same rig.
post edited by jimusic - 2014/08/23 20:27:36

slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/23 21:23:19 (permalink)
Everything I know about windows I learned trying to make the danged thing work on my own machine. I would go mad working for Microsoft.

Windows will in fact offer the option to open say a .doc file with MS Word because it does know that common association, but the problem is that you could have two programs (or users) that both create files with the .doc extension (several do), even though they are totally different kinds of files. You would not want to be locked in to that association if you ran both programs. The file association is really just a convenience for the user. You can use the right click menu option "open with" to open any file if you know the associated program, and that dialogue usually will offer a commonly associated program or give you the option of creating a permanent association to a program by checking the "always use the selected program to open this file" check box in the window that opens when you click "choose default program." 
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/24 02:12:00 (permalink)

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/24 12:28:43 (permalink)

bapu
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/24 12:31:49 (permalink)

MandolinPicker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/24 18:12:03 (permalink)
If it fails - reboot. Its Windows.

The Mandolin Picker
"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
bapu
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/24 18:21:12 (permalink)
slartabartfast
Everything I know about windows I learned trying to make the danged thing work on my own machine. I would go mad working for Microsoft.

Windows will in fact offer the option to open say a .doc file with MS Word because it does know that common association, but the problem is that you could have two programs (or users) that both create files with the .doc extension (several do), even though they are totally different kinds of files. You would not want to be locked in to that association if you ran both programs. The file association is really just a convenience for the user. You can use the right click menu option "open with" to open any file if you know the associated program, and that dialogue usually will offer a commonly associated program or give you the option of creating a permanent association to a program by checking the "always use the selected program to open this file" check box in the window that opens when you click "choose default program." 

I always wondered why files were not standardized (somehow) to know the program that created it (file header record perhaps?).

Probably wWaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooooo tuuuuuuuuuuffff for computer geeks.
craigb
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/24 18:34:36 (permalink)
bapu
slartabartfast

I always wondered why files were not standardized (somehow) to know the program that created it (file header record perhaps?).

Probably wWaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooooo tuuuuuuuuuuffff for computer geeks.

Because many programs might be able to work with the file other than just the program that created it? 

If someone made a wave file using Logic or Pro Tools, you can still work with it in SONAR, ya?

bapu
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/24 18:39:30 (permalink)
Not saying it was dictated to open it with that program but woudn't it be helpful to note when one did not have the program that created it and had even less ability to contact the sender of the file.

I can't tell you how many time (exactly) I've got files from computer neophytes that think they used "Windows" to create the file when in fact it was some obscure art program that I had never heard of as was incompatible.

OK, it would never work I see....

I'll get me coat.
MandolinPicker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/24 20:49:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mitch_I 2014/08/26 20:33:50
One of the problems with this is that now Windows 'hides' the file name extension by default. So its a good possibility that a user won't know that a Word file is a "doc" or "docx" or that "odt" is open document text.

If you want an idea of how many different file extensions there are, take a look at http://www.fileinfo.com/filetypes/common or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_formats. Also, just to make life a bit more difficult, take a notice of how many different files use the same extension (DBF — db/dbase II,III,IV and V, Clipper, Harbour/xHarbour, Fox/FoxPro, Oracle; FDB — Firebird Databases and Navision database files; etc).

The Mandolin Picker
"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
craigb
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/24 23:36:20 (permalink)
bapu
Not saying it was dictated to open it with that program but woudn't it be helpful to note when one did not have the program that created it and had even less ability to contact the sender of the file.

I can't tell you how many time (exactly) I've got files from computer neophytes that think they used "Windows" to create the file when in fact it was some obscure art program that I had never heard of as was incompatible.

OK, it would never work I see....

I'll get me coat.

Windows doesn't create files, but flies come in through windows. 

Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/25 10:12:07 (permalink)

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
craigb
Re: My 3 'Favourite' Things About Windows 2014/08/25 10:18:01 (permalink)
Mesh

I've actually had that happen with this forums lovely software.  It had an error then had another while trying to display the first!  Pathetic!

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1