My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend...

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/17 20:13:53 (permalink)
nice. at least she was cool with it. like how she tells you straight up she uses it to monitor people...

- jack the ex-cynic
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/17 20:59:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jinga8

Thanks for all the advice guys. I played the "your my supervisor, it just seems weird" card, and she was cool with it. Although she did mention she checks other people's accounts that she IS friends with to see if they are posting during work hours. Creepy...

But you are still unsure as to whether she is a championship standard human flame thrower?

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/17 21:10:16 (permalink)
the thing about it jinga is in a few places they wouldn't even allow you to check webmail. I only could go to sites which were for driver updates etc. . The IT people could block that assuming you have an IT department.

she doesn't even need to be friends with you to see that or if your visiting odd sites etc. if your gateway machine is logging them. I guess you don't have a big IT department with people who are clued up?

my friend at his work place was forever blocking proxy's etc.as people were trying to go on myspace etc via indirect means.If a certain site/address was visited LOADS it would flag up.. and my friend would look at it and block it if it was a proxy etc.

although perhaps you should introduce her to Jon's facebook..hehe

post edited by Fog - 2009/02/17 21:16:21
jacktheexcynic
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/17 21:38:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Jonbouy
But you are still unsure as to whether she is a championship standard human flame thrower?

that's the real tragedy here.

- jack the ex-cynic
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/17 21:59:11 (permalink)
Pretty strange, but as above said she seems pretty cool with it. Although I didn't advise so, usually the truth works best. I usually have good luck with that with that. It is when people don't believe the truth things get really weird.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
jhughs
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1179
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/17 22:03:28 (permalink)
jinga - that's classic.

now, if she asks you to dance with her next....

(that happened to one of my managers and our director... it was innocent, she was just very fun loving, but he looked sooooooo uncomfortable through the whole thing)

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
i8ipop
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 568
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/18 05:17:58 (permalink)
Sounds like you sure dodged a bullet there man!

Still raining...still dreaming!
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/18 08:29:37 (permalink)
The Facebook freind finder automatically sends requests to people I beleive. I canceled my account there due to problems.She might not be aware yet that the request was sent. You should ask her about it anyway and see if she did in fact personally send it. And if you like your job perhaps put some chapstick on and kiss A** baby!

Craig DuBuc
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/18 08:35:08 (permalink)
no, it doesn't send friend requests automatically - someone has to initiate it. there are friend suggestions that can be sent out by your friends out of their friend list if they choose to initiate it, but even with those you still have to initiate the friend request out of those suggestions - there are no automatic friend requests.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
jacktheexcynic
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/18 17:45:45 (permalink)
beagle is correct. there are friend suggestions and also "people you may know" but nothing happens until someone does something. now there may be an application that does that, but it is not part of the normal facebook.

- jack the ex-cynic
Crg
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/18 19:36:18 (permalink)
Oh I see, I never used it actually. I didn't want an unkown site <--facebook, accesssing my computers email files to see who I might know on facebook. The reason I deleted facebook was because it suddenly became unaccessable at login. My browser would totally freeze and I would have to end process on it. While it was frozen my CPU usage as detailed in task manager would shoot up to wellover fifty percent with the hard drive activity light going beserk. Several exchanges later with Norton -Symantec I found that I could get back on facebook if I disabled auto protect, for a short time. That spells hack to me. After following this thread it's clear the supervisor was aware of the request, I think. But anyway I digress. My advice was to alert that yes, freind requests can be sent by" applications" as jack the ex cynic called them, automatically.You're right, someone has to intiate them. That's why I suggested asking her. Even after canceling my account, I can't get near facebook. You tell me.

ORIGINAL: Beagle

no, it doesn't send friend requests automatically - someone has to initiate it. there are friend suggestions that can be sent out by your friends out of their friend list if they choose to initiate it, but even with those you still have to initiate the friend request out of those suggestions - there are no automatic friend requests.

Craig DuBuc
jinga8
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5817
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 05:27:51 (permalink)
She told me straight up, "Hey Greg, I sent a friend request to you on Facebook. I feel like we're getting to know each other better and I thought it would be cool. But don't feel pressured, I'm just interested in your life." Now she's 63 and I'm 31 (on Tuesday), so there is no romantic intention (she's having an affair with a doctor from Alaska ). She has a Masters in psych and family therapy, so she treats our meetings like a therapy session... But the fact that she told me she checks out what time other people in the office are posting tells me I made a good call in shooting her down. She's also way into nepotism, as her daughter shot up the ranks to senior management in a couple years, and her son-in-law is a manager making more than me with his greatest qualification for the Human Services field having been selling cell-phones at a mall kiosk and being a cashier at Stop and Shop. But that part doesn't really bother me, just adds to her legacy as a crazy lady...
jacktheexcynic
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 07:22:43 (permalink)
if i had to bet on facebook or norton causing problems, i'd take norton every time. but facebook is for people who are comfortable putting their lives on the internet. it's cleaner, more private and more robust than myspace, but it's still a social networking site. (if myspace is the ghetto of the internet, then facebook is the suburbs.) but it's not for everyone. you're a lot more likely to get infected through myspace than facebook though, since facebook doesn't let you go nuts with profiles and they are more selective with their ads.

- jack the ex-cynic
Beagle
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 08:34:18 (permalink)
+1 ^ Norton =

and jack's right - facebook isn't for everyone - it's just a "cleaner" venue than myspace and is mainly geared toward people keeping up with friends new and old.

mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 11:54:20 (permalink)
I keep hearing bad things about Norton. I've been using their utilities for close to 20 years, and have never had a problem I could attribute to Norton. On the other hand, I signed up for Facebook three days ago, and my system has been doing some VERY strange things. Browser windows freeze up. I run out of virtual memory, something I've NEVER had happen before. I think I can blame Mafia Wars, but it might be Facebook. Still puzzling it out.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
Beagle
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 12:50:57 (permalink)
on the other hand I've had nothing BUT problems with norton for years. every time I install it on a computer it takes it over and causes all kinds of lock ups and slow moving apps.

Mark - did you happen to think that it's not facebook causing the problems, but norton causing the problems WITH facebook? there are many people using facebook without those problems - I'd be quick to blame norton myself. try disabling norton and see if facebook doesn't stop causing problems.

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 17:04:28 (permalink)
The whole idea sounds creepy to me.

Best
John
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 17:58:44 (permalink)

on the other hand I've had nothing BUT problems with norton for years. every time I install it on a computer it takes it over and causes all kinds of lock ups and slow moving apps.

Mark - did you happen to think that it's not facebook causing the problems, but norton causing the problems WITH facebook? there are many people using facebook without those problems - I'd be quick to blame norton myself. try disabling norton and see if facebook doesn't stop causing problems.

Reece, it's a notion worth considering, and worth investigating. I'll check it out, and if I find anything worth reporting, I'll be sure to do so.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
jacktheexcynic
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 18:24:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mcourter
I keep hearing bad things about Norton. I've been using their utilities for close to 20 years, and have never had a problem I could attribute to Norton. On the other hand, I signed up for Facebook three days ago, and my system has been doing some VERY strange things. Browser windows freeze up. I run out of virtual memory, something I've NEVER had happen before. I think I can blame Mafia Wars, but it might be Facebook. Still puzzling it out.

could be the mafia wars app. firefox has the same "problem" - it works great until you start messing with add-ons. get too many and it can blow up memory like nothing else. i've had it upwards of 1.2GB a couple times at work (of course that was with over 50 tabs open), but even then it still ran fine (thanks to 4GB of RAM and no swapfile). i don't have that app (i have very few facebook apps) and facebook works great.

it depends on what norton programs you are running. if it's AV/firewall then that can cause a lot of issues. if it's the utilities that's not such a big deal.

i personally don't use anti-virus as i find it next to useless. a lot of malware can take down most popular AV solutions, and if you get infected, you will NEVER EVER know if your machine is completely clean again. so even if AV says your system is clean, you don't know for sure. i do run spybot S&D as it can intercept spyware before it has a chance to persist, but i rely on running programs as an unprivileged user (google "dropmyrights") and using firefox/chrome instead of IE.

but then i'm an information security analyst, so i'm not the average user.

- jack the ex-cynic
Crg
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 20:02:16 (permalink)
I don't know if I agree with you Jack on facebook being safer than Myspace. Myspace is the hackers playground, no doubt about that. As for Norton causing problems with unidetified script and things that could be malware, yes it is problematic at times as are all Internet security programs.Nortons wanting me to turn off the seperate features of auto protect and attempt login to see which one is the problem is to risky. At least Norton is willing to talk. I have encountered some bad ads on facebook in as much as they contained bad tracking cookes by third parties. I'm comfortable being me on the internet, I am me whereever I go.
When a social connection site becomes an unusable-unreachable link in your communication network with no avenus to contact their technical staff short of a lawsuit, It's just not worth the hassle, especially if facebook is at fault. I hope it doesn't happen to you.
ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

if i had to bet on facebook or norton causing problems, i'd take norton every time. but facebook is for people who are comfortable putting their lives on the internet. it's cleaner, more private and more robust than myspace, but it's still a social networking site. (if myspace is the ghetto of the internet, then facebook is the suburbs.) but it's not for everyone. you're a lot more likely to get infected through myspace than facebook though, since facebook doesn't let you go nuts with profiles and they are more selective with their ads.

post edited by Crg - 2009/02/19 20:07:44

Craig DuBuc
jacktheexcynic
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 20:12:26 (permalink)
both have had their share of worms, although myspace has had more. but myspace ads are a lot more sketchy than facebook. i know because i use both. most ads contain tracking cookies, but not all of them get you infected with real spyware, which has happened on myspace at least once (and not on facebook that i've ever heard).

norton should be willing to talk since it's probably their issue. facebook is used by over a hundred million people and if most of them were having problems logging on i think it'd be bigger news than a coffeehouse thread.

- jack the ex-cynic
Crg
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 20:19:35 (permalink)
Hey Beagle, I did disable Norton to get back on facebook. It worked four times and then went fluey again. In addition I couldn't get on facebook when my local high speed internet provider home page was open when I surfed to facebook. Never happened before, I went to facebook many times from my local home page. You can blame everyone else but when you consider the the fact that you can go anywhere else on the internet with norton and your internet provider homepage as your starting point, I at least have to conclude that facebook is the culprit.

Craig DuBuc
jacktheexcynic
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 20:22:49 (permalink)
are you using a custom browser provided by your high-speed internet provider? did you install something that came on a CD?

- jack the ex-cynic
Crg
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 20:30:44 (permalink)
I'm not sure I follow you there Jack. Are you saying the problem is specific to IE or antivirus programs or the combination of both? Or al of the above in different combinations?

ORIGINAL: mcourter

could be the mafia wars app. firefox has the same "problem" - it works great until you start messing with add-ons. get too many and it can blow up memory like nothing else. i've had it upwards of 1.2GB a couple times at work (of course that was with over 50 tabs open), but even then it still ran fine (thanks to 4GB of RAM and no swapfile). i don't have that app (i have very few facebook apps) and facebook works great.

it depends on what norton programs you are running. if it's AV/firewall then that can cause a lot of issues. if it's the utilities that's not such a big deal.

i personally don't use anti-virus as i find it next to useless. a lot of malware can take down most popular AV solutions, and if you get infected, you will NEVER EVER know if your machine is completely clean again. so even if AV says your system is clean, you don't know for sure. i do run spybot S&D as it can intercept spyware before it has a chance to persist, but i rely on running programs as an unprivileged user (google "dropmyrights") and using firefox/chrome instead of IE.

but then i'm an information security analyst, so i'm not the average user.

Craig DuBuc
Crg
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 20:35:35 (permalink)
I'm sure most facebook users are not having the same problem. I can't help but wonder how many of them are bots for an unknown party creating a network that even facebook doesn't know about.

both have had their share of worms, although myspace has had more. but myspace ads are a lot more sketchy than facebook. i know because i use both. most ads contain tracking cookies, but not all of them get you infected with real spyware, which has happened on myspace at least once (and not on facebook that i've ever heard).

norton should be willing to talk since it's probably their issue. facebook is used by over a hundred million people and if most of them were having problems logging on i think it'd be bigger news than a coffeehouse thread.

Craig DuBuc
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 20:36:04 (permalink)

She told me straight up, "Hey Greg, I sent a friend request to you on Facebook. I feel like we're getting to know each other better and I thought it would be cool. But don't feel pressured, I'm just interested in your life."

that statement alone would EURK (?) me into feeling something strange is afoot at circle K..
as members of grange hill said years ago... just say no

I've worked with people a LONG time, I know them at work... I don't know too much of their personal life and thats like coming up to 20 years in some cases.

although one bloke is weird in the sense of... you'd bump into him in the most random of places around London.

Crg
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 20:39:51 (permalink)
No I use IE 7. My internet provider provides a home page that has basically the same features for anyone at the same level of service.

are you using a custom browser provided by your high-speed internet provider? did you install something that came on a CD?

Craig DuBuc
jacktheexcynic
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 20:44:21 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Crg
I'm not sure I follow you there Jack. Are you saying the problem is specific to IE or antivirus programs or the combination of both? Or al of the above in different combinations?

it's probably a combination. i've been on facebook using only chrome and firefox, and i don't run AV. i just think if it was widespread they'd be getting a lot of complaints about it and they would be fixing the problem. without knowing what is on your computer i couldn't really say though. a lot of stuff messes with the internet now.

if you got a "custom" browser from your ISP that can make things even less reliable as they usually do stuff to it for their own purposes. i would also make sure norton didn't turn itself back on, as some AV programs will do that depending on how you turn them off, or if you log off and log back on...

- jack the ex-cynic
Crg
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 20:49:36 (permalink)
There is always something strange afoot when comes to human behavior. I've known many of my "boss"s" for over fifteen years. I don't really hang out with them personally. Everybody wants to get away from work after eight. But if they wanted to be my freind on a remote link like facebook, it wouldn't erk me at all. They have my address and phone number already. If they're gonna screw ya, whatever you're doing on facebook won't be clincher.
ORIGINAL: Fog

She told me straight up, "Hey Greg, I sent a friend request to you on Facebook. I feel like we're getting to know each other better and I thought it would be cool. But don't feel pressured, I'm just interested in your life."

that statement alone would EURK (?) me into feeling something strange is afoot at circle K..
as members of grange hill said years ago... just say no

I've worked with people a LONG time, I know them at work... I don't know too much of their personal life and thats like coming up to 20 years in some cases.

although one bloke is weird in the sense of... you'd bump into him in the most random of places around London.

Craig DuBuc
Crg
RE: My Boss wants to be my Facebook Friend... 2009/02/19 20:52:01 (permalink)
Please! Please! Show me where you can complain to facebook!

ORIGINAL: Crg

it's probably a combination. i've been on facebook using only chrome and firefox, and i don't run AV. i just think if it was widespread they'd be getting a lot of complaints about it and they would be fixing the problem. without knowing what is on your computer i couldn't really say though. a lot of stuff messes with the internet now.

if you got a "custom" browser from your ISP that can make things even less reliable as they usually do stuff to it for their own purposes. i would also make sure norton didn't turn itself back on, as some AV programs will do that depending on how you turn them off, or if you log off and log back on...

Craig DuBuc
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1