Helpful ReplyMy First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace

Author
jvgiannini
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2010/08/16 11:08:36 (permalink)

My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace

I recently finished recording / mixing my first song. Song was produced using Sonar 8.5.

"God of Peace", by MarLane Knuppel. Performed by my band, TouchPoint.

Let me know what you think. You can listen to it on ReverbNation which can be accessed through our web site

http://www.touchpointband.com/our-music

Thanks,
Jim Giannini
cho_drummer
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 116
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/16 11:24:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Really good for a first mix. I don't like the delay onthe vocals one bit. Its destracting.
Some timing issues from the band. The clicks on the snare are lost. It sounds like the bassist is pushing the drummer, but the drum part needs work.

One or two issues, the first time she sings 'noble' there's some horrible digital clipping, probably on her vocal. The bass drum sounds nice with a fat round bass like that. The whole thing lacks top end attack for me. The guitar tone for the solo sounds very out of place.

The harmonies could do with tightening.

But overall very good for a first mix.

Think about this. If you're a band, you're likely to be in the same place and want to put that across. However, this sounds as though the drummer is about a mile away from the rest of the band. The vocals are VERY upfront and so is the bass. So i get a feeling of the band being disjointed by the position in the mix. Try using a slight convolution reverb on the master bus to bring everything together.

This brings me to my final point. The piano sound seems to be fighting against the bass in the low end and the guitar in the mids. Its important to try to find a space in the mix for each instrument so that everything is clear and audiable but the mix sounds very full and the band sounds together. To learn this, try mixing with just signal strength, pan and EQ. That'll give you a better understanding of how different sounds work together in a mix.

But having said all that, overall its really nice for a first attempt, very good indeed.
peggysuechan
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 581
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/16 18:19:05 (permalink)
Is Reverbnation having problems today? Your player won't play. And my own site on Reverbnation won't play today, either. Is it my computer or their site?

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
jvgiannini
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/16 18:23:15 (permalink)
It is working for me.
peggysuechan
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 581
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/17 00:46:51 (permalink)
Reverbnation's working now.

Intro lives up to it's name--peaceful. The whole song does, in fact.

That electric guitar has a gorgeous sound. And a great line throughout. 

But what a voice. Such control and beauty. Smooth and clear.

Voice harmonies sound good.

Everything sounds clear from my end. Ambiance perfect. Keep in mind, though, I'm listening through broken, blown speakers. My own Kurzweil keyboard doesn't sound this good through these speakers, though. 

This is song is very beautiful and well done. Then again, that voice would make any song sound beautiful.
post edited by peggysuechan - 2010/08/17 00:51:39

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
radio
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2782
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/17 01:12:41 (permalink)

Hey this is great stuff , its too bad too many people here and on the internet in general don't live by the message in the music you and your band created .
I enjoyed you ,your band and the music  , God Bless you and your band .
GREAT VOCALS !

Cheers from A FRIEND !

benstat
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 972
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/17 07:45:51 (permalink)
Yes, I enjoyed this too. I couldn't find anything wrong with the mixing/mastering at all - all voices and instruments were clear, crisp and well defined. Nice melody.
jvgiannini
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/17 12:02:09 (permalink)
Wow, Thanks for the positive comments. I am blessed to be surrounded by great musicians. I'm not a novice guitar player but I'm a novice at mixing and must admit this one song took a long time to do. The sound is still not exactly where I want it to be so I love the constructive criticism. It reflected some of my thoughts as well.

Yes, music with a message for me is what it is all about. Again thank you for the comments. We are now working on another song. Once we are done, we will may look at getting it professional mixed.

Thanks again!
notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/17 12:41:32 (permalink)
Welcome to the forum...
This is an excellent 1st post... Really well done...
Thatsastrat
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1267
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/17 14:01:32 (permalink)
Jim,
I liked the song and the female vocals. Quite relaxing! I will agree with the crit given by Cho that the drums are being pushed by the bass. The timing with the rhythm section could use some tightening. I also would have liked to have heard more of a mellow guitar tone. The tone you have to me is too bright for me. The guitar tone is a matter of creative difference and not a crit.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/17 16:49:30 (permalink)
I can't get to your website from work because of our firewall blocking it.  if you have a soundclick or facebook alternative I could get it there.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
jvgiannini
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/17 17:51:39 (permalink)
Thanks,

You can find us on www.facebook.com/touchpointband.

It still plays our music off of Reverbnation but hopefully that will work.
Daylaa
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/17 18:13:33 (permalink)
I found this very peaceful to listen to and it certainly has an atmosphere to it. I really like the vocals.
My concern is with the bass timing - perhaps a little off in parts which makes it sound weaker.

I also think the guitar come be a bit darker - it would still cut thru i'm sure.

I have yet to post my first song on the songs forum so take what i say as merely some dude's opinion - it must be pretty frightening posting a track on here amongst the mixing gods.

I really liked this tho - well done!

Sonar X3 Producer
Rain Computer's Nimbus Z2 I7 Processor
32GB RAM
Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
M Audio Audiophile 192
M Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe's

Edirol PCR 500
Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

I am 'I Woke a Giant' Hear my stuff at:
https://soundcloud.com/i-woke-a-giant
Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/17 18:39:38 (permalink)
Jim,

Lovely song, lovely band performance. For what it's worth it sounded as good as anything else I have heard on my laptop speakers.

Garry

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:My First Produced Song - Contemporary Christian Song - God of Peace 2010/08/20 00:09:45 (permalink)
I enjoyed this song. The band sounds good. The singers are good too.

Crits: Timing issues, tuning issues with the vox in a few places.  I felt the vox were a bit too much upfront. The song had a heaviness about it... EQ issues there. I think maybe a bit mid heavy.

I have to agree with the comment about the lead guitar solo. The tone and melody for the solo was totally wrong. It didn't fit the rest of the music.

But the crits are nitpicking.... over all the song is good. I definitely want to hear more of this band.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1