My First Project with Sonar

Author
pjchappy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2011/02/18 21:35:07 (permalink)

My First Project with Sonar

I'm trying to wrap up my first ever project with decent software (using X1A Producer).  I've spent WAAAAAYYY too much time on this and have lost all objectivity.  I probably should walk away for a few weeks then re-visit. . .

Anyways, I would love some input.  I'm just an amateur and it's just me on this (instruments, vox, mixing).  At this point, I'm about to throw my computer out the window, then toss in all my instruments and software. . .throw in a little kerosene. . .and then a lit Zippo.

Here's the link to the download:  http://cid-4894951a5bd211b1.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/The%20Unknown.wav

Gracias!

Paul
post edited by pjchappy - 2011/02/18 21:37:06

11 Replies Related Threads

Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:My First Project with Sonar 2011/02/18 21:50:08 (permalink)
    First,

There's a song forum :)

Second, you should really upload to a sound site, like soundclick or soundcloud etc.   The download took WAY to long.

As for the song, it's not bad.   But it does feel sloppy in a number of places.   The mix could use some work as well, the sounds kind of blend, could use some EQ.   Also, bring the kick up a bit imo.

That's my two cents for whatever they are worth.

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

pjchappy
    Re:My First Project with Sonar 2011/02/18 21:55:10 (permalink)
    Thanks!  I didn't know there was a song forum.  New here.  Whoever can, please move this (or should I start a new thread?).

If I'm asking too much, let me know. . .but. . .Where does it sound sloppy?  What specifically do you think blends too much?  I've done quite a bit of EQ, including a good amount of notching.

As far as the kick, to me, it sounds fine. . . but again, I appreciate the input.

Paul
    Kroneborge
    Re:My First Project with Sonar 2011/02/18 22:09:10 (permalink)
    Well, I coudn't hardly hear the kick, so I thought it that's why I thought it should be louder in particular it doesn't have any low end.. 

As for the sloppy, it just felt that way in a couple of places when you had several things playing at once.  Sorry, but I'm not going to timeline them for you, I'm working on my own mix between chattering on the forums.

Mathew

Hip Hop

BreakBeats

StarTekh
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2007
    Re:My First Project with Sonar 2011/02/18 22:22:17 (permalink)

Paul first off nice effort..but Matt is quite correct in his
    statements the drums are a big issue in there placement
    there are some performance issues. i wont go there and ..
    the guitar is just wrong, unless that your sound.

I confirmed this on Yamaha ns10's my tracking monitors
    and Sony MDR 7509 phones, maby Matt can give you further input..again good effort
    pjchappy
    Re:My First Project with Sonar 2011/02/18 22:33:49 (permalink)
    Appreciate it.

Regarding the drums, they are easy to fix, as they were done with Superior Drummer.  Beyond the levels, when you refer to placement, are they too much in a stereo spread?  I used a standard setting on SD.

Regarding the guitar, what do you mean by it's just wrong?  Not sure what you're referring to, exactly.

StarTekh
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2007
    Re:My First Project with Sonar 2011/02/18 22:48:33 (permalink)
    pjchappy

Appreciate it.

Regarding the drums, they are easy to fix, as they were done with Superior Drummer.  Beyond the levels, when you refer to placement, are they too much in a stereo spread?  I used a standard setting on SD.

Regarding the guitar, what do you mean by it's just wrong?  Not sure what you're referring to, exactly.

Paul: there to far in the back and the EQ is not very good... if its single tracks you can fix it. the guitar is in your face, id have to listen again 

again good effort, and keep working at it, this is not a short term process, 35 yrs and im still learning..

arlen2133
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    Re:My First Project with Sonar 2011/02/19 00:49:31 (permalink)
    Hi Paul,
    Just finished listening to your song and I echo Startekh's sentiments.  Good effort.
    If I were to give any advice, I would say it would be to work really hard on the drum timing.
    I venture to say that if your drums were tighter (both in timing and mix), you would be a lot further along.  Once you get the drums tight, you'll start to "see" where other items aren't and you could fix them.  As for the mix, I think that Matt hit it on the head so I won't say it again.  If you want to get better, it's going to take some critical listening.  Get some professional recordings that are similar to your musical style.  They aren't perfect either, but are more "in the ballpark" of where you should be.  They can help you see and feel where the drums should be and how the sound should come across.
    Hope that helps..

Arlen
    aka
    Mr Grant
    my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:My First Project with Sonar 2011/02/19 03:02:14 (permalink)

Hello Paul , like the others were pointing out you have something good to work with but the drum track needs some help badly .
    The guitar has it moments that are IF's but on the upside I like your changes within your song .
    I can see this ending to be a great song with some more hard work .
    Stick with it  , its worth working things out so you end up with a winner .

Don't throw in the towel , your on the right track you just need to clean it up so it sounds right .

Radio

Kroneborge
    Re:My First Project with Sonar 2011/02/19 11:01:31 (permalink)
    I think the thing to remember is that making good music is harder (or at least harder that what most of us expect before we start).  There's a lot of stuff to know and be able to do.   For example

Be a good musician or know how to program midi to give a good performance (I'm not sure which one is harder, lol)

Know how to use EQ, Compression, Reverb, and a whole host of other effects to polish your recording and get that sound

plus in professional circles they usually having mixing and mastering as seperate jobs from the actual creative process, but you will probably do both of those as well.

With all that said there are plenty of good resources out there.  Just by getting subscriptions to some of the music magainzes you can learn a lot.    Or get the groove3 videos and watch how they go through a whole song (plus the X1 video of course).

With all that being said, I find making music very frustrating at times when the song isn't coming out how I want.   But when it's finally done, and you've created something good, well that's very satisfying too.

If you want to make music, I encourage you to do so, just make sure you are willing to put the time (and money) into it.

Good luck :)

Mathew

Hip Hop

BreakBeats

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:My First Project with Sonar 2011/02/20 17:00:11 (permalink)
    I'd like to listen, but the download is not working for me. Might be an idea to put it up on one of the streaming sites too.
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:My First Project with Sonar 2011/02/20 19:43:29 (permalink)
    yup...upload it to a site so we can put an ear on it!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1