"My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April

Author
mikeinFL
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 536
2009/03/22 13:05:00 (permalink)

"My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April

"My Life Is Ordinary"
vocals/lyrics: Charlene April (of Blind Faith and Envy)
music: Michael John

Comments welcome on my new track featuring vocalist Charlene April. This is an Acid Planet remix contest entry, I used only the vocal tracks, writing all new music for the song. I think it's kind of a retro pop thing maybe. Made in Sonar 7 and features the guitar, piano, strings and organ from my Motif XS. Listen=listen!

Mike

click Play Song at:
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1220329&t=5120

ARTIST AND CONTEST INFO

Blind Faith & Envy 2 remix contest:
http://www.acidplanet.com/blindfaithandenvy2

Blind Faith and Envy web:
http://www.blindfaithandenvy.com/

LYRICS

I cross the street
Maybe I'll meet up
With someone that I know
Heavenly save me a seat at
The same old town freak show
My head around it
My head around it
Play is just a game
My head around it
My head around it
This town is much too

I have these feelings inside
It's such a mess to be me
Why do I hold back and hide
My life is ordinary

(It's the sound of the mockery)

I sit back
You dim the lights
It's the night of many stars
After dark
I feel allright
The stage is ours
Maybe it's just the beginning
Maybe it's just a beginning
Of rain
Of rain

I have these feelings inside
It's such a mess to be me
Why do I hold back and hide
My life is ordinary

(It's the sound of the mockery)

Stay the same
Play is just a game
Right into the hands of
everyone is vain
I'm the same
This play is just a game
Right into the hands of
Everyone's the same...

post edited by mikeinFL - 2009/03/30 14:10:53

19 Replies Related Threads

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/22 13:17:16 (permalink)
    God this was beautiful.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/22 13:37:17 (permalink)
    WOW, that didn't sound like it was easy to do. What a challenge but I think you did a FANTASTIC job. Your performance and the mix sounds clean and full. Good luck on the contest. KUDOS!

LATER
    Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/22 14:31:43 (permalink)
    I always like your music, Mike and this was no exception. Beautiful arrangement!
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/22 15:27:30 (permalink)
    This is stunning! Yes..I do like!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    mikeinFL
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/22 15:51:09 (permalink)
    thanks all- I just uploaded a new version with improved string part in the middle section, and improved guitar part in the ending section
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/22 16:00:58 (permalink)
    Yeah i can imagine this being quite a hard thing to pull-off, but your arrangement works really well wit the vocal tracks. Very nice mix and production quality as well. Nice work.
    munmun
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/23 18:56:17 (permalink)
    Wow that was beautiful! Gorgeous!
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/24 12:58:46 (permalink)
    I love the sound of that Classic Guitar.....

that made it for me!!

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/24 13:15:08 (permalink)
    Hi Mike,

Here is a song that is both amazing and in need of something.....I love the pop arrangement and instrumentation....but (sorry ):
    Intro is way too long (although the guitar is LOVELY)..
    Her voice is awesome but her singing is a bit lame...she's not hitting EVERY note..in fact she's missing most.
    That hook at 1:40 ish..."my head around it"...is FANTASTIC very very good...superb...catchy..HIT.
    The chorus at around 1:58 is packed with waaaaaayyyyyyy to much conflicting dissonance...i think the main culprit is the organ underneath...You have clashing notes and not the one's you're intending. Her singing is very pop and can be AMAZING if she will take the time to REALLY sing EVERY Note, especially those seeming inconsequential passing ones.
    FWIW

i hope this is useful because I really like this song an aweful lot.
    post edited by No How - 2009/03/24 13:24:42

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/24 13:49:47 (permalink)
    Michael,
    Very nice classical guitar playing. Actually, the intro made the song for me. Very sweet arangement, I'm not totally crazy about her singing and maybe there is something that needs to help blend your style with hers to get this arrangement a bit more cohesive.
    You put a lot of effort into this one, though and that shows. It does work and is really brilliant !!!! Excellent endeavor, I really like your style and talent. Fantastic Job.

- TAP -

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

mikeinFL
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/24 14:10:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: No How

Hi Mike,

Here is a song that is both amazing and in need of something.....I love the pop arrangement and instrumentation....but (sorry ):
    Intro is way too long (although the guitar is LOVELY)..
    Her voice is awesome but her singing is a bit lame...she's not hitting EVERY note..in fact she's missing most.
    That hook at 1:40 ish..."my head around it"...is FANTASTIC very very good...superb...catchy..HIT.
    The chorus at around 1:58 is packed with waaaaaayyyyyyy to much conflicting dissonance...i think the main culprit is the organ underneath...You have clashing notes and not the one's you're intending. Her singing is very pop and can be AMAZING if she will take the time to REALLY sing EVERY Note, especially those seeming inconsequential passing ones.
    FWIW

i hope this is useful because I really like this song an aweful lot.

good comments and yes she is singing in a strange way, intended for IDM genre, not easy listening/pop like I made it. There is some bitonality as well in sections that you hear and I admit is not as good as it could be. If she recorded again to my track, she would sing much differently. Good observations.

But she is an amazing singer- listen to Gentle Delay, (she sounds like Alison Krauss) at:
    http://www.myspace.com/blindfaithandenvy
    blindfaithandenv
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/30 01:49:38 (permalink)
    Michael John,

I am sad and disappointing in the lack of respect you have for artists that go out of their way to help build credibility for remixers as yourself. When I first heard the beginning of your remix I was impressed, then upset because there was no way we could ever use it being that it is off time and you did not use the correct key for most of the music.

ACIDPLANET rules and regulations reads that you cannot post your mix outside of acidplanet unless I give you permission and WE (BF/E) do NOT give you permission.

Also if you post lyrics you should have specified that they are not the original lyrics and that they are in an order that you created.

No How,

You can not judge a vocalist by a remix, the remix you are listening to here is by Michael John and the music is not in the correct key for the vocals. The vocals were not recorder to this track, you can hear the original beautiful vocals and track at www.blindfaithandenvy.com.

No How
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/30 09:20:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: blindfaithandenv

No How,

You can not judge a vocalist by a remix, the remix you are listening to here is by Michael John and the music is not in the correct key for the vocals. The vocals were not recorder to this track, you can hear the original beautiful vocals and track at www.blindfaithandenvy.com.

Hello ms/mr blind, I'm not 'judging' anyone anyhow, other than what's posted of their work .

The vocalists was off key in many spots...no judgement...just how i hear it. In fact I said she has a remarkable voice but it sounded like she rushed through this song without getting to really know it. No offence intended. I'll listen to the link you gave. I'm sure she's amazing and I'm double glad it's in a better key because this is very nice song all around.

edit: More:
    OK...i listened to link....very cool page.
    I prefered Michael's mix far more than the heavy goth/metal one. It was much more melodic sounding and 'musical' to my ears than the straight ahead mix on your link. No doubt the techy parts were stronger and punchier but the overall direction Michael took seemed more refreshing and clever. As far as i can tell that is the same vocal performance though. She does have a very nice voice.
    post edited by No How - 2009/03/30 10:39:06

s o n g s

Texrat
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1531
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/30 10:10:20 (permalink)
    Oh I absolutely love this! You sir are a master.

New member blindfaithandenv needs to chillax IMO.
    post edited by Texrat - 2009/03/30 10:19:39
    mikeinFL
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/30 13:53:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: blindfaithandenv

Michael John,

I am sad and disappointing in the lack of respect you have for artists that go out of their way to help build credibility for remixers as yourself. When I first heard the beginning of your remix I was impressed, then upset because there was no way we could ever use it being that it is off time and you did not use the correct key for most of the music.

ACIDPLANET rules and regulations reads that you cannot post your mix outside of acidplanet unless I give you permission and WE (BF/E) do NOT give you permission.

Also if you post lyrics you should have specified that they are not the original lyrics and that they are in an order that you created.

No How,

blindfaithandenv

blindfaithandenv,

....If you don't like my remix that's ok, but I assure you it was my best effort. In fact, this is is one my most favorite remixes.

Mike
    post edited by mikeinFL - 2009/03/31 11:13:48
    blindfaithandenv
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/30 14:20:56 (permalink)
    I wouldn't read in to it so much!

Not sure where I said I didn't like your mix, I recall saying when I first started to hear it I was impressed. Also where did I say you intentionally did it to create a bad remix. Seriously you have to stop reading into everything you read. It is simple, I just wanted dude to know that the original is on time and on key and not assume that it was recorded for your track, he seemed a bit iffy on that.
    No How
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/30 14:47:49 (permalink)
    ....umm.....i sure am sorry for this confusion....and it's very much confusion.

The little 'off' places i heard in the vocals had NOTHING to do with the key. They are just as 'off' in the blindfaithandenv version.

Her singing has nothing to do with the mix.

either way, it's not a biggie that can't be fixed with another take....AND most folks here don't even mind it anyway!

i still prefer michael in florida's version on this. btw.....it's a pop masterpiece.

post edited by No How - 2009/03/30 15:20:33

s o n g s

mikeinFL
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/30 14:56:05 (permalink)
    blindfaith...

Understood, and thanks

To everyone- I should have pointed out that my 'remix' is in a different key from original song (intentional), and my timing of the vocals is different as well and I created a chorus section that wasn't in the original, etc. In truth, I don't make remixes- I make 'new version mixes', writing all new music.

The vocals fit ok to my ears in this different key but they also don't fit as perfect as I would have liked. Which of course is no fault of the vocalist or original, but simply because I'm trying to make my music fit a pre-recorded vocal track. Again, I take the risk of making new versions, without the benefit of re-recording the vocals to fit my music. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's just ok, sometimes it doesn't work good at all. All in the spirit of creativity.

Thanks to all for the listens and comments!
    post edited by mikeinFL - 2009/03/30 15:05:42
    Texrat
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1531
    RE: "My Life Is Ordinary" - featuring Charlene April 2009/03/30 15:58:36 (permalink)
    Mike, I think most of us can hear the key difference, and while it hit me as odd at first I got used to it. Since you knew what you were doing, it added character... not an easy thing to pull off!

Kudos.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1