My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform.

Author
zippsinc
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 456
2008/07/14 20:58:42 (permalink)

My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform.

Hi everyone

Just thought I'd share the details of the platform I just built for my TD-12KV BK electric drum kit. I am doing so just in case any of you have issues with neighbours below or family members who spend time in a lower levels of the house you play in.

Say goodbye once and for all to neighbours who besiege your home with fitchforks and burning torches. This was the scene outside my house just last night.

I'm happy to report that those days are now gone thanks to my tennis ball riser/sandwich platform. Phew !!!

I found out how to buid it at the V-Drums forum on several old posts from several years ago.

Basically, it comprises:

• Two 4'x4' crash mats.
  • Two 4'x4' Pieces of 18mm thick Plywood, each with twenty five 1 3/4" holes which I cut with a hole saw.
  • 25 Tennis Balls
  • A 4'x4' piece of carpet

See the pics of the various stages below.

York Fitness Floor Guard (£14.99)

4'x4' 18mm thick piece Plywood with 1 3/4" holes (£12.99) - The pilot holes were marked 4" from each edge with 10" between each hole's marking.

25 Tennis balls in the holes (£20.00)

Another '4x4' 18mm thick piece Plywood with 1 3/4" holes (£12.99)

Another York Fitness Floor Guard (£14.99)

4'x4' Piece of carpet from my local carpet fitters (end of roll cast-off £10.00)

Roland TD-12KV BK V-Drum Kit on the finished platform.

And again.

Total cost of Platform = £85.96

Note: Although the MDS-12 stand/frame specifies that it requires a minimum of 4' in width, if you have the space I would go with a 5'x5' platform or 4.5'x4.5' if in a pinch. I had to go with the minimum so that I could still squeeze past it etc. However, it still works in the 4'x4' space but I know wish I had a bit more to play with. A slightly wider space with a bigger platform would allow for the MDS-12 to have it's side portions open wider. Some folks may prefer this. I would still probably opt for the 25 tennis balls if using a larger platform but the choice is yours.

Given that any surface you play on will be required to be at least 4' in width and at least 4' or so in depth, this means that the surface area presented to the kit for transference of vibration will be approximately 14884cm squared. However, with the tennis ball riser, the area of transference from the upper platform to the lower one (via the tennis balls) is a mere 94.2cm squared. This is 158 time less scope for transference of vibration than a solid platform would create. Also, with this platform the vibration needs to travel through the carpet and floor guard first before reaching the upper wooden part. It then has to travel through the tennis balls, then through the lower floor guard too. All this before it gets to my own flat's carpets and floorboards etc.

The platform itself is fairly sturdy. However, if you make one I would avoid stepping onto it on its edges just to be on the safe side. In my estimation it would easily hold even the heavier drummers out there, providing that user don't jump up and down on it. Also, it all stores away at around 15 minutes notice.

Like I said, I would go with 5'x5' if I could have and had the space. However, not being an experienced drummer having not been accustomed to a lavish setup previously, the 4'x4' platform is good enough for my needs. I would strongly recommend 4.5'x4.5' though.

It's now 1.59am here and I'm off work this week and am full of life right now. Therefore, I'm off through to do my facial impressions of Keith Moon....

Hope this helps other.

ZippsInc
post edited by zippsinc - 2008/08/03 11:11:19

17 Replies Related Threads

David
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/15 15:57:34 (permalink)
    very cool!

David F

zippsinc
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/16 09:24:48 (permalink)
    Thanks David.
    bobr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 709
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/16 19:13:31 (permalink)
    I'm glad I wasn't outside your house last night. Them look like some perty unruley neighbors.

Very cool platform. Zippsinc the tennis ball drummer.

Take care,

Bob
    Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/16 21:14:04 (permalink)
    I found out how to buid it at the V-Drums forum on several old posts from several years ago.

Thats funny, I just viewed that thread not too long ago and thought it was a great low budget drum riser that would work perfectly for my noise issues as well.

The only thing I would do different is to add some sort of flexible material to connect the 2pcs of plywood together snugly, so like you said, you dont hurt yourself or the kit if you happen to step on the edge. I was thinking of using an inner tube from a tire to make the connection. Now if I could just find the time to do all my cool projects.

Nice work!

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    zippsinc
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/17 16:07:28 (permalink)
    Thanks bobr and Lay In Wait

For your kind comments.

The flexible material between the wood sounds like a good idea. I'll definitely be looking into this if stability becomes an issue. However, at the moment it appears rock solid. The trick is, for stabilities sake, is to get plywood which isn't warped in the slightest. This way it'll sit more evenly and squarely.

Thanks again

ZippsInc
    post edited by zippsinc - 2008/07/20 19:01:18
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/17 17:32:40 (permalink)
    wow it looks like it will tip because of the tennis balls. Did you get them to fit real tight in the wholes built for them? That is one cool rig!

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    zippsinc
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/17 20:49:01 (permalink)
    Hi Lance

Thankyou for the comment on the rig.

Actually, I decided earlier that I feel so confident on the platform I could easliy dance along to music. It's so surprisingly sturdy that it feels like a solid platform with no feeling what-so-ever that it may tip or slide. My only concern is people who visit me stepping on the edges or corners when squeezing past it in order to go for a beer from the fridge. The concern being that some of the plywood may snap or crack. I doubt it would tip due to the weight of the kit along with leverage factors. I think the frame/stand alone is 13Kg. Having said this, I'm just being cautious. 18mm is fairly thick and when you consider the uniformed spaces and even distribution of weight I think it will fair really well.

A close up of the tennis balls. They fit really well and are really secure. Pic #4 in the orginal post does highlight a bit of a warp in the upper layer of plywood which makes the back left part of the platform fail to come into full contact with one or two of the balls. However, once everything was on the platform and I'm plonked on the stool, everything's fine.

The rig. It totally rocks by the way. The mesh heads are very realistic when compared to accoustic drums. The module has a MIDI In and an Out/Thru and comes with 50 kits which can be edited amd also has mono or stereo output capacity. There's plenty scope recording-wise with some folks reporting to using EZdrummer and such like. Here's a link to a demo of the kit - (Japanese Language).

Oh....word of warning to anyone who does build one of these. Do not do your drilling and hole cutting indoors. After working on construction sites for years I can't believe I failed to predict this. The amount of fine sawdust that is produced is enough to make even the most hardcore OCD sufferer cry. I made this mistake and decided after cutting 2 holes that it wouldn't make much of a difference if I continued. It took me over hours to clean up afterwards. Take heed.

ZippsInc
    post edited by zippsinc - 2008/07/17 21:16:44
    taphappy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/18 01:32:08 (permalink)
    Oh man...I just laughed so hard. Awesome!! Had this problem before my vdrums got jacked (sigh)...even in a basement apartment with poured flooring, with the old kick style (reverse beater pounding on a rubber pad - eek), it didn't make my neighbors happy, in the least.

Good work, man :)
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/18 02:19:28 (permalink)
    Nice man! That is a smart rig. I like a guy that knows how to solve problems :) Think outside the box(which is an apartment building in this case)

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    zippsinc
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/18 15:33:55 (permalink)
    Thank you Lance and Taphappy

I have the good folks over at the Vdrums forum to thank as it was their idea. Credit goes to them.

Unbelievably though, I was playing between 3.00am and 5.00am this morning totally unrestrained. Nobody was any the wiser to what I was doing. Totally Ace....24/7 drumming.

ZippsInc
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/18 16:10:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Lay In Wait

Thats funny, I just viewed that thread not too long ago and thought it was a great low budget drum riser that would work perfectly for my noise issues as well.

The only thing I would do different is to add some sort of flexible material to connect the 2pcs of plywood together snugly, so like you said, you dont hurt yourself or the kit if you happen to step on the edge. I was thinking of using an inner tube from a tire to make the connection. Now if I could just find the time to do all my cool projects.

Nice work!

Or you could put pegs at each corner to act as a stop if the top board tilted when stepped on. They would need to be just short of the full gap so no transfer would happen when the top was fully level but would keep the top from tilting too far when unbalanced like when you step on the edge. I would use 1" dowel with rubber chair leg feet on them.

By the way I love the design, I would not have thought of the tennis balls. You could call it the "Balls to the walls" drum riser.
    post edited by ohhey - 2008/07/18 16:37:00
    zippsinc
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/19 10:31:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

Or you could put pegs at each corner to act as a stop if the top board tilted when stepped on. They would need to be just short of the full gap so no transfer would happen when the top was fully level but would keep the top from tilting too far when unbalanced like when you step on the edge. I would use 1" dowel with rubber chair leg feet on them.

By the way I love the design, I would not have thought of the tennis balls. You could call it the "Balls to the walls" drum riser.

Nice ohhey.

Ha ha ha ha. Perhaps a patent application is in order.

Funny that you mentioned the corner pegs. Although I don't think it's entirely necessary, I was and still am considering something like this in order to give full peice of mind. Even if they were to be say 1/2 cm below the platform when even distribution is spread. They would undoubtedly prevent anything silly from happening should someone step on a part they shouldn't have. Hell I nearly did it last night as I squeezed past the platform to get to the kitchen for a beer. Mind you I'd had a few by this stage.

Thanks for the dowel and rubber feet idea. I hadn't got that far and thought about the specifics yet. A joint patent? lol

Regards

ZippsInc
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/19 15:32:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: zippsinc

ORIGINAL: ohhey

Nice ohhey.

Ha ha ha ha. Perhaps a patent application is in order.

Funny that you mentioned the corner pegs. Although I don't think it's entirely necessary, I was and still am considering something like this in order to give full peice of mind. Even if they were to be say 1/2 cm below the platform when even distribution is spread. They would undoubtedly prevent anything silly from happening should someone step on a part they shouldn't have. Hell I nearly did it last night as I squeezed past the platform to get to the kitchen for a beer. Mind you I'd had a few by this stage.

Thanks for the dowel and rubber feet idea. I hadn't got that far and thought about the specifics yet. A joint patent? lol

Regards

ZippsInc

LOL ! No need to include me.. you take the patent.
    Lay In Wait
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/20 12:54:04 (permalink)

Ya that would work, but the advantage of a rubber skirt attached to both pieces of plywood on all 4 sides would allow you relocate or store the platform against the wall (yes, now its balls to the walls) if for some reason you needed to move it. And now that the OP has brought up drinkin beer near or around this platform, stability becomes a larger issue . When I get paid next, Im going to make one.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    zippsinc
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/20 14:53:59 (permalink)

Ya that would work, but the advantage of a rubber skirt attached to both pieces of plywood on all 4 sides would allow you relocate or store the platform against the wall (yes, now its balls to the walls) if for some reason you needed to move it. And now that the OP has brought up drinkin beer near or around this platform, stability becomes a larger issue . When I get paid next, Im going to make one.

Ha ha ha

I only drink beer as a treat once I've accomplished a goal such as building something that was bothering me for ages...kind of an incentive...lol

I just intend to dismantle my platform and put the plywood in a cupboard/closet and stack up the mats when not in use. I've no intention of leaving it assembled at all times.

Whe you're doing yours, just remember to aim for as large an area of platform space as you can with regards to your needs, space and storage capacity if need be. It's a fair amount of work to be repeating later down the line of not happy with it.

Also do your cutting outdoors if you can

Regards

ZippsInc

p.s. Just read your occupation on your profile....lol. Now I'm looking forward to the pics.
    post edited by zippsinc - 2008/07/20 15:18:10
    Lay In Wait
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/20 17:32:06 (permalink)
    p.s. Just read your occupation on your profile....lol. Now I'm looking forward to the pics.

Now that you mention it, I really should start a thread on all the things I have made for my studio, including custom desk, home made ekit and various knick knacks that have saved me money and been rewarding at the same time. I really need to get the rest of my acoustic treatment up, then some pics.

zippsinc
    RE: My Neighbour Friendly v-drums platform. 2008/07/20 18:40:35 (permalink)

Now that you mention it, I really should start a thread on all the things I have made for my studio, including custom desk, home made ekit and various knick knacks that have saved me money and been rewarding at the same time. I really need to get the rest of my acoustic treatment up, then some pics.

That'd be cool.

Make it happen. It may inspire others to do similar projects.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1