My New Preamp - Connection Advice Please!!!

Author
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
2010/12/06 16:33:11 (permalink)

My New Preamp - Connection Advice Please!!!

I just bought a new Art Pro MPA II (above) and I want to integrate it with my dual Sapphire Pro 40 AI's.  I want (obviously) to warm up my mic signal going into the AI's (I think?)  The Focusrite Saffire Pro 40's are Firewire daisychained and go firewire into the computer.

Based upon the pics below, how should I go about this?

ART REAR:

FOCUSRITE REAR:

THANKS!!

5 Replies Related Threads

spindlebox
    Re:My New Preamp - Connection Advice Please!!! 2010/12/06 16:43:50 (permalink)

By the way, my initial idea is this:

I will have 2 channels dedicated to the preamp at all times.

• I will put my #'s 9&10 channels into the back of the preamp (XLR)
    • I will use the 1/4" balanced outs of the ART (with MONO patch cables) to
    • the two 1/4" inputs on the front of the Focusrite.
    Will this be a good plan?  Those two channels I can use for overheads, and hook up ANY mics at any time into.  Plus, I can use the 1/4" inputs on the front of the preamp for D/I instruments in the control room.

Whatcha think?

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:My New Preamp - Connection Advice Please!!! 2010/12/06 17:21:02 (permalink)
    spindlebox

I just bought a new Art Pro MPA II (above) and I want to integrate it with my dual Sapphire Pro 40 AI's.  I want (obviously) to warm up my mic signal going into the AI's (I think?)  The Focusrite Saffire Pro 40's are Firewire daisychained and go firewire into the computer.

Based upon the pics below, how should I go about this?

ART REAR:

FOCUSRITE REAR:

THANKS!!

The Pro 40 manual is kinda confusing on the inputs, that "auto" select stuff is kinda scary. To be safe I would use XLR to TRS cables to be sure the thing knows it's line level and not mic level with phantom power.  That is XLR out of the ART to TRS (balanced) on the Pro 40 side.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:My New Preamp - Connection Advice Please!!! 2010/12/06 18:00:39 (permalink)
    Spindle,

the two front inputs (1&2) are also your DI boxes.  I think I'd hook the output of the ART to the line ins on the back.  You might just get a band w/ 2 guitars and bass and need those DIs.

I've never had a problem w/ auto sensing inputs.  But yea, I would use 1/4 inch just to keep it simple.  Be sure to order them online - you pay out the wazoo at guitar center etc.  That is where their money is - selling cords for $25 that you can get online for $5.  That way you can buy more - you'll always need them.

looks good otherwise.  At some point you'll want a patch bay.  And the impedance variable is nice, if my ISA is any guide.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:My New Preamp - Connection Advice Please!!! 2010/12/06 19:10:09 (permalink)
    I’d try ¼” balanced out (ART) to two of the rear ¼” line ins. (Pro 40)
    spindlebox
    Re:My New Preamp - Connection Advice Please!!! 2010/12/07 21:01:06 (permalink)
    OK, I actually hooked it up with 3' mono patch cables (mogami) from ART out to the FRONT inputs of the Sapphires!  It works pretty darn well.

I haven't really lost anything, because as I still have 1 other Sapphire - I still have those front XLR/1/4" inputs available.  The front of the ART has 1/4 inch Low-Z inputs, so I can go D/I right in the control room, and hit those ins with Tube saturation in varying degrees.  The only thing that the 1/4 inch ins on the front don't allow me to do is adjust the impedence, but I'm not going to be going into those with Mics anyway.

But, it sounds REALLY good.  I was playing my bass through it yesterday and spent A LOT of time downstairs.

I still am going to replace the stock Chinese tubes with matched NOS Mullard 12AT7's.
    http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-12at7-mullard.html

The word on the street is, this combo is the BOMB.

post edited by spindlebox - 2010/12/07 21:02:55

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1