My Savior **UPDATED**

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
RE: My Savior 2008/11/11 20:40:16 (permalink)
Rick (No How) - thanks very much for listening! I plan to change the maj7 at the ending into a C. thanks for sticking up for my piano solo in the instrumental 8! I appreciate it! thanks again for the kind words!

M. Man - thanks so much for listening and commenting! Yeah, horns! Honestly I DID consider asking you to put some horns on this, but changed my mind and decided to not ask THIS time, but I still love your horn playing and will definitely will ask you for some more horns some day! thanks for the comments about the vocals! I'm working on it!

Gary (gdugan) - glad you took it back! I might still beef it up a little more, even if only by EQ or verb or something! thanks for listening again!

RobertB - thanks, Bob! I appreciate the listen and the kind words about the vocals and piano! obviously those are the things I'm most concerned about! I'll look at the master bus EQ and the guitar EQ and see what I can do with them. thanks very much for the suggestions!

Steve - thanks so much for listening and the kind words about my vocals! I truly appreciate you - probably more than you realize! thanks again!

I'm working on an update! stay tuned!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Beagle
RE: My Savior 2008/11/13 08:59:24 (permalink)
OK, new version is up based on your feedback. as usual, all constructive criticism is appreciated!

new mix up -
I changed the EQ on the guitars to fill them out more and brought them up a few dB
I fixed a couple of problems in the lead vox
I brought the BGVs up a couple of dB throughout
I resampled the piano after changing the ending from a CMaj7 to a C (and I did not use the heavy low chord in the ending, Janet and Gary! )
I had to remix/re-balance everything after those changes.
I brought the drums and bass up some (tell me if it's enough)
I backed off of the final compression/limiting to give the song more dynamics.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=704510

Mamabear
  • Total Posts : 8954
RE: My Savior 2008/11/13 09:07:49 (permalink)
Ah, the ending it MUCH better! (Thanks Gary! He wouldn't listen to me! LOL)

Seriously, I thought it sounded good before, but you've brought it up a notch!
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: My Savior 2008/11/13 09:13:18 (permalink)

Hi Reece

That's top banana - the acoustic guitar especially sits just right in there now.

Now whereabouts do you want me to fit in the twelve minute guitar solo

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Beagle
RE: My Savior 2008/11/13 09:32:24 (permalink)
Thanks, Janet! I guess I should ALWAYS listen to Mama, huh?

Thanks Steve! well...actually I'd be honored if we could do something together sometime! If you can bring the metal down a notch to Hard Rock, I can certainly bring my stuff up to Hard Rock level and we could meet there!

OH - one thing I haven't done yet that I might still do is add another instrument, strings, flute, something to the intro like Gary suggested. if I do that - it's still to come!
post edited by Beagle - 2008/11/13 09:33:41

Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: My Savior 2008/11/13 13:17:17 (permalink)
Excellent and some profound changes there Reece.

The rhythm track is punching through really nicely now I couldn't really make out the acoustic guitars before but now they sound nice among the big piano sound the vocals sound less vulnerable and exposed the BGV tweak really paid off there and the ending really leads out of the song now.

Nicely polished up and sounding great.

hmm, a Beagle vs Strummy duet now THAT is a collab that I would REALLY like to hear. Go fer it fellas!

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
tcaylor
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 701
RE: My Savior 2008/11/13 16:44:24 (permalink)
Good job Reece, your vocals were great and I loved the harmonies. You were able to interject a lot of passion into this tune and the piano and vocals were the strongest parts. I liked the bridge too.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
Beagle
RE: My Savior 2008/11/14 10:30:44 (permalink)
Thanks for the 2nd listen and kind words, Jon!

Thanks for stopping by and giving a listen, Tom! I truly appreciate it! One of these days I need to get you to play guitar on something with me!

Spaceduck
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2499
RE: My Savior 2008/11/14 10:46:35 (permalink)
Beags! I missed this the 1st time around, but I love this version. Like others have said, you have a great natural sounding voice. Really rich & resonant; it reminds me of John Wetton (Asia) but he tended to go overboard w/ reverb. I like the up close & personal vocals you've got. Backups =

I also really like the piano sound you got. It sounds almost like an old Yamaha CP70 (U2 - "New Year's Day"). My only suggestion would be to bring the drums & bass up (yes, a tad more!) The bass is doing some really interesting stuff, but I can't hear it too well. It could be my cheap sound system, though...

Spaceduck music [HERE]
Spaceduck videos [HERE]
musiccontinuum
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 636
RE: My Savior 2008/11/14 11:35:28 (permalink)
Great improvement on the mix, it's a much fully sound with the bass and drums up. Good work on that mix sir.

Jon

Platinum 2016 (latest patch)
Windows 10 - x64
Tascam US-2x2 or Focusrite Scarlett
DELL Inspiron 3000 (I3847-3846BK) Intel i3-4130 3.40GHz / 8GB Memory / Windows 10 64-bit
http://www.joncoble.com
jayhill
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 578
RE: My Savior 2008/11/14 15:24:32 (permalink)
Vocals have improved tremendously since I last listened to your material.

Jeff
lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
RE: My Savior 2008/11/14 15:39:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

OK, new version is up based on your feedback. as usual, all constructive criticism is appreciated!

new mix up -
I changed the EQ on the guitars to fill them out more and brought them up a few dB
I fixed a couple of problems in the lead vox
I brought the BGVs up a couple of dB throughout
I resampled the piano after changing the ending from a CMaj7 to a C (and I did not use the heavy low chord in the ending, Janet and Gary! )
I had to remix/re-balance everything after those changes.
I brought the drums and bass up some (tell me if it's enough)
I backed off of the final compression/limiting to give the song more dynamics.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=704510

Much better Reece (tho I thought the 1st version was good). Now, after doing all that, did you take out the trash and wash the car???

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
Beagle
RE: My Savior 2008/11/14 16:37:51 (permalink)
Ducky - WOW! I'm flattered beyond belief! Yes, I know who John Wetton is! In fact I saw them in concert once at the Fox Theater in Atlanta! Not a WHOLE lot of people can say that considering they didn't tour but 2 years? or was it only 1? I don't remember. but wow - thanks! Ok - I'll bring the drums and bass up a little more. lets's see. so far I've brought UP everything except the lead vox and the synth (which is proabaly completely buried by now!)!

Jon C - thanks so much for the remix listen and kind comments! I do appreciate it very much!

Jeff - thanks so much! It has been a while since you've commented on one of my songs! If I'm not mistaken, you're the one who got me to stop cloning my vocals and realize that doing that was adding phase problems! thanks so much for listening and the kind words here! (and thanks for the past as well - that helped me a LOT!)

Larry - this is a DOG house, buddy!!! Whaddya mean wash the CAT??? OH....you said CAR...my bad!

thanks for the listen buddy! I appreciate it!

Spaceduck
  • Total Posts : 2499
RE: My Savior 2008/11/14 17:09:55 (permalink)

Ducky - WOW! I'm flattered beyond belief! Yes, I know who John Wetton is! In fact I saw them in concert once at the Fox Theater in Atlanta! Not a WHOLE lot of people can say that considering they didn't tour but 2 years? or was it only 1? I don't remember.

Oh MAN! Not only would it have been great to see Asia, but AT THE FOX!!! I know that theater very well. Best live venue in the world. THE WORLD.

^ note this is an indoor venue. The sky & stars are painted on the ceiling.

Must've been an awesome show man. I'm pretty sure the Fox is closed down now, right?

Ok - I'll bring the drums and bass up a little more. lets's see. so far I've brought UP everything except the lead vox and the synth (which is proabaly completely buried by now!)!

Yeah, doncha love the way everyone always suggests bringing things up.... by the time you're done, it's the exact same song only 3dB louder! Haha. Well I only mentioned it because I noticed some really cool bass riffs, but I only heard them on headphones. Minor nitpick... really the song is fantastic as it is!

You got some great eq separation between instruments which is comforting because I learned all my eq tips from you!

Spaceduck music [HERE]
Spaceduck videos [HERE]
foxwolfen
  • Total Posts : 8256
RE: My Savior 2008/11/14 18:38:25 (permalink)
I am not going to let you off the hook.

I thought about it for a few days, and the reality is, while it may be more work, God is not in a rush. You need to re-record the vocals. You need to accommodate your voice and your natural limits. Sung within your "envelope", you have a voice most people would kill for, myself included. Do not waste it with a false sense of Pride about wanting to force yourself into something not natural and that does not work.

I admire the desire to improve, but you are not, IMO, talking about improving (which means making the most of what you have right now) but about changing (which means trying to force yourself to be something you are not).

I am not sure if I can stress any more clearly what I mean than this... the difference between your natural voice and your forced voice is night and day. Your natural one is remarkably passionate, resonant and rich in tone and harmonics. It can accommodate the style of song and the emotion you want to bring to it, but only if set free. Stop being afraid of who you are, start making the most of the incredible gift you have been given.

I want to hear this song sung properly Reece. I am not letting you off the hook, because I KNOW you can do it. So do it.

Sincerely and respectfully
Shad

(in case anybody failed to notice, its "kick in the pants" week here in CW song Forum .)

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: My Savior 2008/11/14 19:10:11 (permalink)

(in case anybody failed to notice, its "kick in the pants" week here in CW song Forum .)

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
thepogue
  • Total Posts : 2458
RE: My Savior 2008/11/14 19:21:49 (permalink)
I hate to steal max's words...but its very well said....you've come a long long way vocally....good work!
ORIGINAL: Maxprizm

Hey Reece, I can tell you put alot of yourself into this. I seem to remember hearing some of your stuff a long time ago and it sounds like you have made some large strides towards improving. This is a very nice song, almost prayer-like. The instrumentation sounds great. I love the piano chord changes around 3:35. The vocal sounds a tad loud but you do go from very soft to loud rather quickly in spots. I agree with Shad in that there are sweet spots to your voice, when you are "going for it" you have a nice honest tone but tend to waver or have less confidence in the more subdued areas. I dont want to harp on the vocals but I will offer one last peice of advice. When you are singing try to relax as much as possible and dont think of it as a 'performance' you have to get right, but rather focus on the intimate lyrics and what they mean to you, and who you are singing to. Especially in a praise song like this wich lends itself to deep conviction. To me, there is no right or wrong in a song like this, there is just the emotion and power of the message.

Danley
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: My Savior 2008/11/14 21:42:15 (permalink)
Beagle,

I ain't heard you in a while, and I am absolutely impressed with your vocals!!

And the harmonies!! Absolutely great.

I have always been impressed with your mix.

Well Done,

Danley
Beagle
RE: My Savior 2008/11/16 09:01:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Spaceduck
Oh MAN! Not only would it have been great to see Asia, but AT THE FOX!!! I know that theater very well. Best live venue in the world. THE WORLD.

^ note this is an indoor venue. The sky & stars are painted on the ceiling.

Must've been an awesome show man. I'm pretty sure the Fox is closed down now, right?

Duck - YEP - that's the place! The painted ceiling was incredible and the acoustics were really tight in that place! I think it is closed now, but I don't know. I've not been to Atlanta in many years, now. An interesting tidbit about the show - Asia's opening act was a JUGGLER! And I have heard from others who saw them on that tour that they also had a magician on some shows.

But it was an awesome show!

You got some great eq separation between instruments which is comforting because I learned all my eq tips from you!
Thanks, Duck! At least I can do PART of this process really well! And it helps to hear it! thanks again!

Shad - I do truly appreciate your persistence and your honesty. I may well try to re-record the vocals, but I do not know if I will rewrite the melody or not. See, I really don't think that a song of me belting out full vocals throughout the song is really going to be a good song. I think the song needs dynamics in the vocals and if I change it to what I think you're asking me to do, then I don't think it will be a good song. I may re-do the vocals and I might even rewrite some of the melody and/or lyrics, but I'm afraid I don't agree with having it all full belting vocals throughout the song.

thanks again for pushing me to be my best! I do appreciate it!

Jon -

Tom - thanks so much for the listen and the comments. I agree with Ed's critique as well and I am working hard to try to correct those parts of my vocals which do not shine. I appreciate you, Ed, Shad and everyone else who are keeping me accountable in the parts of my vocals which are NOT the best and I encourage you to continue to keep me informed about those parts when they are not the best. I will strive to continue to improve! Thanks!

Danley - thanks so much for the listen and the kind words! I appreciate it very much!

Danley
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: My Savior **UPDATED** 2008/11/16 10:49:45 (permalink)
Reece,

Been ages since I heard one of your pieces, and I have to say, your vocals are like 800% improved. You are really pouring your soul into your voice. It seems the more you push it, the better it sounds.

Very well done! Also, loved the harmonies!!!

Danley
spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
RE: My Savior **UPDATED** 2008/11/16 15:33:24 (permalink)
Sounds very good Reece.
It has a nice full sound and I can hear the acoustics better. You didn't bring them up much but I like where it.

You made some good moves..I enjoyed it. Great job!

Mike
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
RE: My Savior **UPDATED** 2008/11/17 19:25:22 (permalink)
Sorry Reece,

The vox is fatally drowned, to my ears; my family and I can't hear any of it (on my Adams).

Please, Reece, the instruments ... drop their levels 3-6 dcbs when the vox commences and make them ebb back with reverb (when the vox commences) ... they killed your excellent vox the moment you started singing and through 90% of the song!

Even the rich piano melodies themselves are killing the emotive and critical vox element. I'm certain the others should agree with me on this. My doleful family agrees with me ,,, we only hear the piano and pads!

Get your vox 'up and front', please!

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
foxwolfen
  • Total Posts : 8256
RE: My Savior 2008/11/17 21:06:45 (permalink)

Shad - I do truly appreciate your persistence and your honesty. I may well try to re-record the vocals, but I do not know if I will rewrite the melody or not. See, I really don't think that a song of me belting out full vocals throughout the song is really going to be a good song. I think the song needs dynamics in the vocals and if I change it to what I think you're asking me to do, then I don't think it will be a good song. I may re-do the vocals and I might even rewrite some of the melody and/or lyrics, but I'm afraid I don't agree with having it all full belting vocals throughout the song.

thanks again for pushing me to be my best! I do appreciate it!

I think you misunderstood what I was suggesting. I am not suggesting you rewrite the song, only reconsider the way you sing it.

Your voice has all the dynamics you need to keep the mood and feel of the song intact. This is already discernible within the song as it is (within the parts that work for your voice).

This medium is sooo poor for communication sometimes. If you were sitting here I could show you and I think you would then see what I was trying to say. A vocal coach would probably have the words, but I seem to not.

When you try to sing softly, you seem to stop breathing correctly, which makes modulation of the tone difficult at best. This is what I meant about singing from the stomach/chest/diaphragm. If you sing too low in your stomach (which is what your soft parts sound to me like you are doing) one problem occurs (breathy modulation), if you sing too high in your chest, another occurs (pinched/stressed sounding vocals). When you sing from the diaphragm (which is what modulates breathing for speaking among other things) the tone will ring out purely, but it will also be a bit louder because you are allowing more air to pass over the vocal cords.

While it may seem louder or more forceful, you can modulate that with the mix or mic positioning. The dynamics will still be there.

They (the vocals) may be different than what you may want, but that is just the way it is (I want to sound like Jon Anderson, but it is not going to happen).

Nurture the voice you have and forget the one you do not.

Cheers
Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
Beagle
RE: My Savior 2008/11/17 21:39:09 (permalink)
Danley - thanks so much for the repeat listen and the kind comments!

Mike - glad you liked the changes and thanks for the comments and the listen!

Phillip - sorry this version disappointed you! I will likely do a re-do on at least some of the vocals and I will look at your suggestions. thanks very much for the comments!

Shad - Ah! I think I understand what you mean now. Yes, communication in this medium is difficult at times. I will try to redo at least part of the vocals which I know are trouble spots and work on those suggestions. I have had a few vocal lessons before, so I think I understand what you're after. I will do my best to get them better. thanks for your help!

It may be a while before I can get back to re-recording the vox, tho, I've got a quartet coming up in church that I have to prepare for as well as other things that occupy my time, but I will do my best to get to it in a couple of weeks. thanks again!

Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
RE: My Savior 2008/11/17 23:28:31 (permalink)
'Just lower the instrument bus 3-4 dcbs and I'll love and cherish "My Savior" exceedingly.

Later you can smear the instruments back with some reverb and/or get all self-conscious about trite beauties of vox and instruments.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
RE: My Savior 2008/11/17 23:34:38 (permalink)
Good work Reece... Well done...
Taylor_514C
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1215
RE: My Savior 2008/11/18 00:07:20 (permalink)
Hi Reece,

I agree with Philip, the instruments are overwhelming your vox on this latest mix, especially the piano. On the brighter side, the guitar sounds fuller

Taylor_514CMy Music:

No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
RE: My Savior 2008/11/18 10:30:10 (permalink)
Beag,

FANTASTIC!!!

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1