My Screensets. Link and logic

Author
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
2014/01/03 05:59:58 (permalink)

My Screensets. Link and logic

This was mentioned in a previous post and I have put a link there as well but rather than hijack that thread completely with my ramblings I've started a fresh one.

As some of you know I've been a huge fan of screensets since they first appeared in X1. The earlier thread mentioned sharing some ideas so........

.......here is a link to a project with my current set of screensets.

https://dl.dropboxusercon.../Screenset%20dummy.cwp

It is the remnants of a project I'm currently tracking so there are several tracks and busses (all blank) so you can get an idea of them in use. You may as a result get complaints of missing plugins etc when loading it - just ignore them.

Feel free to use as you see fit. If you want to import some but not others into your own projects lock the screenset number you don't want to import in your project.

i.e. If you don't want to import my MIDI screenset lock screenset 5 in your project.

For some of these to display correctly you'll also need to set up some "Track Control Manager" presets as follows (Top of the track view header). I'll refer to these later in the text as well

"Minimal" - Everything turned off on all track/buss types
"Sends" Everything off on all tracks/busses  except the "Aux"
"Edit Filter" Everything off on all tracks/busses except the Edit filter

Remember as well that these are all scaled/sized for my set up. I have triple monitors but TBH only use two for working. (The other is for duplicating when I'm at my keyboards). They are set up side by side and I use a full screen stretched across both. Great for seeing the whole length of a project and especially the CV view where I can see 37 full width console strips
I've found for me that the need for two separate views on different monitors has become almost redundant since the introduction of screensets, multidock etc.

For those that want a bit of background for how I use them and the logic (or not) behind them here it is....

Screenset 1 is "Project Overview"

As the name suggests pretty much everything is visible here and probably gets used the most as a general purpose workspace.
Like almost all of my screensets it has a floating inspector, useful for clip info, name changing etc.

Screenset 2 is "Tracking"

The CV is set up as a meter bridge and I use it mainly for recording audio tracks. I get a good view of the track view - timeline etc as well as an easy to see visual clue for levels etc.

Screenset 3 is "Tracks"

In this busses etc are hidden except for the CV view where I leave the master buss visible. I use a trick here that varies depending on whether the Control bar is visible or not.

With the CB in view the multidock isn't full screen - it's tall enough so that I can still see the timeline in the track view for project position reference. With the control bar hidden the autozoomed track is sized to fill the gap left by the control bar.

Clicking on any of the CV strips automatically brings that track into view maximised to the gap. Pressing C brings back the control bar returning to the "Timeline" view.

I use it mainly when mixing with the CV in view but of course that can be hidden instantly by pressing D

Screenset 4 is "Busses"

This is just a duplicate of the previous screenset but only displays busses. Unfortunately  the buss view in the track view doesn't stay visible after switching screensets so it's not quite as neat as the previous one with the control bar hidden but I tend not to view busses with the waveform shown so it doesn't bother me that much. Be nice to have it fixed though.
Again I use this mainly when mixing and want to see all of the busses (or 37 of them anyway ).

Screenset 5 is "MIDI"

Geared towards a full screen multidock with the PRV open. I use this for all my MIDI editing. Remember that multiple PRVs can be opened by locking them - (right click on tab.)

When I can be bothered I hide the audio tracks in the TV view of this screenset because I'm probably a little OCD and just like stuff tidy rather than any practical reason, although I don't often use huge amounts of MIDI tracks in a project

Screenset 6 is "Audio"

Probably my least used screenset I use this as a reference view more than any thing else.

Again there's a neat trick in this one that I use in several of my screensets. The track view has a full maximised track to fill the view. Autozoom is on. At the bottom is a minimal view of the CV in the multidock. It is dragged down to show only track name and number. Click on the track here to bring it to a fully maximised view in the TV.

Screenset 7 is "CV Mix - timeline"

This is really just a combination of screensets 3 and 4. CV with tracks and busses displayed. Timeline visible at the top with CB visible. With CB hidden the "in focus" track fills the gap. One difference between 3 and 4 is the Track View header is completely minimised so I see the whole timeline across the top.

I use this when mixing and want an overview of tracks and busses while still having project position reference. remember across my dual displays I can see 37 strips so this may have limited use on a  single monitor.

Screenset 8 is "CV Mix - Sends"

This one is my pride and joy.

As I mentioned earlier I have a widget view set up in the "track control manager" called "Sends" which only shows the send widget.

The track header is minimised widthwise completely.

The CV is open in the multidock with all modules except "Sends", "Icon" and "In/out" displayed. It's just tall enough to show all visible controls leaving a gap at the top where you can see the track view

In the TV the track is sized to fill the gap with "Auto zoom" on. Clicking on a track in the CV shows that track at the top but because of the "Track Control Manager" (or widget) settings and the minimised track header all that is visible are the sends on that track.

In my set up this allows me to see loads of sends for the current track. I don't know how many exactly, I've never used that many but it must be more than 50.

I like this screenset so much I'll carry on using it even if we ever get more than two sends visible in the CV.

Screenset 9 is "Automation"

This uses a similar "Mini console view" strip at the bottom as my "Audio" screenset. This one has only the track name, number, and the MSR module visible.

In the TV space I use either lanes shown or hidden depending on what I am working on. I use the "Edit filter" widget view I mentioned earlier here so the only thing in the track header is the edit filter.

Sometimes I prefer automating in the Track view, other time lane view. I also switch between autozoom on or off here (Shift + Z) depending on what I'm doing. This is one of my more "fluid" screensets.

As the name suggests I do all my automation work here.

Last but not least comes........

Screenset 10 "Lane edit"

This has replaced my old comping screenset. Similar in set up to "Automation" I show all lanes here and use it mainly for comping. Again it is quite fluid but a one time set up is needed for each project here.

Once I have all tracks in place I switch to this screenset, turn off autozoom, select all tracks, quick group and open lanes (hold down control key) then finally turn autozoom back on.

Clicking on tracks in the mini CV displays that track with lane view in the space above. Obviously lanes/tracks need adjusting for height for preferred work flow. I tend to keep the track height quiet low and maximise the lanes to fit but it does depend on whether I'm working on one track or across multiple grouped tracks. As I said a fluid screenset.

That's it, my current crop and I hope  that even if they aren't useful for you they give you a few ideas for what is possible with screensets.............

and I didn't even mention once how much I love 'em.

13 Replies Related Threads

markyzno
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1216
    Re: My Screensets. Link and logic 2014/01/03 06:25:41 (permalink)
     Cheers !!!

Sonar Platinum 64 bit > Pro tools 10.3.2 >Intel i7 3770K > 16Gb Ram > Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB > ATi RADEON HD5700 > 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD> Win 10 home 64 bit> Delta 1010 > MOTU Audio Express > MA-15D's > NI Ultimate 9 > NI Kontrol S61 1.1 > NI MAschine Studio 2.3 / KORG MS-20 Mini - Arturia MicroBrute > KORG SQ1 - KORG Kaoss Pad KP3 > iPad and IO Dock 2 running various bits > Bunch of guitars >

Sound Design on IMDB --

FCCfirstclass
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 969
    Re: My Screensets. Link and logic 2014/01/03 06:46:04 (permalink)
    Excellent work Karl.  Thanks for sharing.

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: My Screensets. Link and logic 2014/01/03 07:22:13 (permalink)
    Wow, thank you for sharing this Karl!

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Atsuko
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 365
    Re: My Screensets. Link and logic 2014/01/03 08:28:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing with us, it's very useful!

Desktop Intel I7 12GB RAM Win 10 64bit - Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen - Roland A-300 PRO - Yamaha HS50M speakers - Sonar Platinum/CbB - Samplitude Pro X3 - Studio One 4 - Melodyne 4 Studio - Ozone 8 Adv - Neutron 2 Adv - RX7 Adv - ARC2 // Notebook Dell I7 8GB RAM Win 10 64bit
    Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re: My Screensets. Link and logic 2014/01/03 08:35:44 (permalink)
    Karl, you're awesome!
    Have watched/purchased all your vids and am going through them again, in a dual monitor watch/do mode...now that I'm getting serious, to incorporate your wisdom into my own understanding of the baker's creation...

You've taken screen sets beyond what I ever could comprehend and I'll learn from this also.

Thanks, dude!

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    declan
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: My Screensets. Link and logic 2014/01/03 09:48:03 (permalink)
    Thanks Karl!
    abb
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    Re: My Screensets. Link and logic 2014/01/03 11:13:57 (permalink)
    Wow, these are very useful -- thanks for sharing!
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    Re: My Screensets. Link and logic 2014/01/03 12:05:49 (permalink)
    Thank you Karl! Very nice!

Dave
    Songs

Super Newbie
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: My Screensets. Link and logic 2014/01/03 14:23:18 (permalink)
    Joining the chorus of appreciation Karl...
    Thanks!!!!
    jamesday
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: My Screensets. Link and logic 2014/01/03 21:48:59 (permalink)
    Thanks very much Karl !  Both your "complete" and "workshop effects" have been have been so much help to me.

SONAR X3 PROD  AMD QUAD 2.6  8 GB   WIN 7-64      http://www.soundclick.com...07&songID=12710640
    keyzs
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re: My Screensets. Link and logic 2014/01/03 23:28:03 (permalink)
    Thank you Karl!!!
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re: My Screensets. Link and logic 2014/01/04 01:21:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the support.....

Glad you are finding them useful.
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    Re: My Screensets. Link and logic 2014/08/19 16:16:02 (permalink)
    Hey Karl, I appreciate Craig reminding us today of your excellent screen set collection. So I thought I would give this a bump for those who missed it earlier...

Thanks Again!

Dave
    Songs

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1