My Sweet Little Angel - Update!

Author
tomjeff76
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 114
2008/10/29 00:43:46 (permalink)

My Sweet Little Angel - Update!

This is the update to my rough draft "Unnamed As Yet." This is the first complete song (music and vocals) that I have ever taken to this point. I have many song ideas recorded but this is my first complete song.

Click on My Songs below. Thanks in advance for listening.

I have Updated/Re-mixed "My Sweet Little Angel." I redid the vocals and made them louder and brighter. I bumped up the drums and the bass and lowered the synth solo. I also seperated the first verse and and first chorus. I hope you all like this version better. Thank you so much for the comments about the song and the mix. It is greatly appreciated.
post edited by tomjeff76 - 2008/10/31 00:57:35

TomJeff

My Songs

Yamaha MM6
Line 6 Tone Port UX2
Korg PadKontrol
Music Creator 4
EZDrummer

13 Replies Related Threads

tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: My Sweet Little Angel 2008/10/29 07:01:21 (permalink)
    TomJeff,

I like this one. It has a nice flow and the guitar part (or is that a keyboard synth guitar part???) peeks the interest. I felt the vocals were a bit too muddy and hard to understand. It had a little bit of a Fastball feel to it (mainly in the vocal).

My only suggestion would be change up the parts when you are entering/exiting a chorus so the listener has a better feel for when that happens.

OK, I lied... one more. Lay a real bass down rather than the synth sounding bass you have on the song at the moment.

Good song.

Tom
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: My Sweet Little Angel 2008/10/29 16:18:44 (permalink)
    It is a good song, Tom.

Vox need some clarity-boost-brightening maybe??? Your voice is very good to listen to I just can't hear it. I think the drums and bass can come up some too. It's going to sound great.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: My Sweet Little Angel 2008/10/29 19:05:21 (permalink)
    Cool tune Tom - liked the arrangement. I agree that the drums and the bass levels need a bump up. I had trouble hearing your vox as well.

I liked the tones of the electric piano (from the Yamaha MM6?) and the electric guitar.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: My Sweet Little Angel 2008/10/29 19:19:53 (permalink)
    Great tune. I agree with the others bring the vox up a bit. I also had a hard time hearing the bass line. Really good tune,Tom.

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: My Sweet Little Angel 2008/10/29 19:32:15 (permalink)
    Nice tune! It sounds like the synth lead is a bit too loud and the vocals were hard to hear. I liked the lyrics I could hear.
    tcaylor
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 701
    RE: My Sweet Little Angel 2008/10/29 23:14:22 (permalink)
    I thought this was going to break into "Hard to Handle" by the Black Crows with that signature drum intro.

This is a very good song, but it has the potential to be a great song. It has that good guitar melodic hook that could make it instantly recognizable. As has been mentioned, the vocals need clarity and take the most prominent part of the soundstage. Maybe polish up the structure a tad as it almost sounds like the song is going to stop at 1:12, just a little too much of an awkward pause interrupts the flow. You really do have a good song here.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
    tomjeff76
    RE: My Sweet Little Angel 2008/10/30 01:43:38 (permalink)
    Tyacko - Thanks for the listen and the comments. The guitar parts are keyboard guitar run through Line 6 Gearbox software. I know what you mean about the transition between the verse and the chorus. The first vocal part of the chorus sounds like the verse and it is confusing to everybody but me. Can't everybody read my mind? I want to redo the vocals anyway and will probably make the difference between the verse and the chorus more distinct. My wife said, "I can't hear the vocals," and I said, "What do you mean? I can hear every word." As far as the real bass goes, I would have to take my Musicman Sabre out of mothballs. Am I ready for that yet?

No How - Thanks for listening. I want to redo the vocals, record them clearer and bring them up. I was trying to drown out the sound of an air conditioner. I drowned out myself instead. I am so new to this vocal thing. It's a lot of fun though. I am going to bump up the drums and bass a little. Your comments are much appreciated.

Taylor_514C - Thanks for listening and I'm glad you liked it. Yeah, I love my MM6. Vocals, drums and bass all going up. Thanks for the comments.

Drumstixkev - Thanks for listening to my song. I'm glad you liked it. What? You can't hear the vocals and the bass? I greatly appreciate your comments.

Mamabear - I'm glad you liked my tune. I will play with the volume on the synth solo. When I redo the vocals and make them brighter, maybe you will like more of the lyrics. Thanks so much for listening and commenting.

Tcaylor - LOL! I love "Hard to Handle" by the Black Crows. I didn't even think of that. I just grabbed a nice pattern from EZ Drummer. You're right, though. The verdict is in. The vocals need to come up. Thanks for listening and I'm glad you liked it.

TomJeff

My Songs

Yamaha MM6
    Line 6 Tone Port UX2
    Korg PadKontrol
    Music Creator 4
    EZDrummer
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: My Sweet Little Angel 2008/10/30 10:55:20 (permalink)
    Tom - I feel that you have a good song in the making. Everyone gave you enough mix suggestions so not much I can add to what's already been said.. Like the chord changes used in this. Could use some chorus/flange on the air conditioner??? LOL!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: My Sweet Little Angel 2008/10/30 14:30:17 (permalink)
    Yeah...ditto on the levels things previously mentioned.

I like to use sound fonts for bass rather than synth basses. Check my web site for some font info & links.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    tomjeff76
    RE: My Sweet Little Angel 2008/10/31 00:59:33 (permalink)
    Lhanson - Thanks for the comments and the listen. I have updated the song. As far as the air-conditioner goes, I'm glad winter is about to set in.

Guitarhacker - Thanks for the comments. I will check your site for the sound fonts.

TomJeff

My Songs

Yamaha MM6
    Line 6 Tone Port UX2
    Korg PadKontrol
    Music Creator 4
    EZDrummer
    tcaylor
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 701
    RE: My Sweet Little Angel 2008/10/31 21:29:02 (permalink)
    TomJeff,

I think you've got something really good here. I caught myself humming that guitar hook all day long.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: My Sweet Little Angel 2008/11/01 10:57:42 (permalink)
    TomJeff,

Didn't hear before remix but this sounds like a clean mix now.
    Cool tune and great job.

Michael
    Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: My Sweet Little Angel 2008/11/03 03:31:21 (permalink)
    Hi TomJeff,

Pretty impressive for a first recorded tune. Really nice interplay between the guitar and piano.

To my ears, both the voc and drums need to be louder.

I listened to the old mix... Check out the updated version... I'm pretty sure the file is corrupted and you need to re-upload.

Peace,

Ian

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1