My Turn For Help Or Suggestions

Author
Malibu1328
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 462
2008/09/08 20:15:00 (permalink)

My Turn For Help Or Suggestions

I have purchased every Sonar update fron Sonar 1 through Sonar 7.
I have them all on my C drive. (which is very large)
This afternoon I tired to access Sonar 6 but it would not load.
I also tried Sonar 5 - same results.
I only use Sonar 7 PE now but I wanted to load these older Sonar's......
However, Sonar 3 and 4 loaded with no problems.
Also I can load Sonar 7 with no problems.
Cos my C drive is large - I have decided to keep all of the sonar's on that drive.
I have a few other drives for data, loops, etc.
If I click on Soar's 4 or 5 it just goes on forever with no results - I've waited more than 15 minutes for it to load - zero.
I'm running Windows XP (SP3) P4 - 3.00 Ghz - 2 GB Ram.
Help would be appreciated.
Thanks

5 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: My Turn For Help Or Suggestions 2008/09/08 20:18:40 (permalink)
    they used to work previously in xp?

you might try right clicking on the icon / properties and force it to use win 98 compatibility.. worth a try.. maybe the registry entries for it are messed up or the config files..

I only joined the ship at v7, so can't be of much help
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: My Turn For Help Or Suggestions 2008/09/08 20:22:00 (permalink)
    There's no good reason for them not to work.

I have v2, v4, v5, v6, and v7 on my laptop DAW.

Something must have been corrupted or discarded by mistake. If you really want access I'd try a reinstall of the problematic versions.

Is it possible you installed over them when you upgraded? By default they install in different directories... but maybe?

Have you launched them recently where they worked or has it been a year?

good luck,
    mike
    Malibu1328
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: My Turn For Help Or Suggestions 2008/09/08 20:35:12 (permalink)
    As the new (and improved ) Sonar's come out I move on........
    Such as when Sonar 7 PE came out I stopped using Sonar 6 and so on.......
    But I can't explain why Sonar 3 and Sonar 4 still load but Sonar 5 and Sonar 6 do NOT!
    It won't be the end of my world if these don't load but its a question that probably has a simple answer.
    Yes I guess I could re-install Sonar's 5 & 6 - maybe I will - but we know Sonar 8 (sigh) is just waiting in the wings.
    Don't we all know that?
    Too bad the CW guys wouldn't just set a target date and say - "Sonar 8 will be available October 1st."
    Kinda like they do for my son's video game releases - hey what a great idea!!!!!!!!!
    Anybody at Cakewalk read this stuff?
    Anyhow.......
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: My Turn For Help Or Suggestions 2008/09/08 21:32:12 (permalink)
    Too bad the CW guys wouldn't just set a target date and say - "Sonar 8 will be available October 1st."

There's a lot of valid business reasons why they don't do that. If they did, they would kill all Sonar 7 sales and then if there was a problem that delayed the release of Sonar 8, they could run into financial difficulties. The late Osbourne computer company announced the Osbourne 2 and killed all sales of the Osbourne 1. When they couldn't deliver the Osbourne 2 on schedule, they promptly went out of business.

Cakewalk will announce Sonar 8 (or whatever its called) when they are ready to deliver it.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Divinit
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: My Turn For Help Or Suggestions 2008/09/08 22:59:10 (permalink)
    There are functions in Sonar 2 and 3 that just don't port over well to 6 and 7, but I will wager that if you reinstall all the versions <you DO still have all of those old CD's, right?> they will probably work again. The cakewalk.ini file would be different in the later versions, especially if you have changed audio cards or settings.

You're still using the same computer you had back then? You either spent a pretty penny back then or you're way outdated now....might be time for a computer upgrade.

I reloaded some of the old versions just to get the vst.s and MIDI effects and DirectX plugins that they had back then. Some of them are cheesy by today's standards, but some are still very usable. But, if you don't need the old versions, dump 'em.

Just my two cents...

When one is doing the process of self-analysis, One should make sure that the Self that is doing the analysis is, in fact, sane.

Sonar X3 (always patched to current)
    Win7X64
    8gb RAM
    Quad Core AMD 3.6mhz
    TASCAM USB interface
    EMU 1616m PCIe interface w/breakout
    Rapture, Dimension Pro, Studio Instruments, Zeta 2, tons more of Cakewalk's software
    Tons of IK, NI Camel Audio and other softsynths, plugins
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1