My WIN-HD disk failed! I'm going now for RAID 1.

Author
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
2010/10/21 15:55:45 (permalink)

My WIN-HD disk failed! I'm going now for RAID 1.

My WIN HD-fail so now I'm going for new multi RAID 1 disks..

Q1: Should I go Windows 7 x64bit Software RAID or ASUS Intel BIOS RAID or buy a hardware RAID card?

Q2: What RAID gives me best READ or perhaps both, Read & Write performance?  *Note, I'm not interesting in RAID 0

Hope for answers, thanks in advance. In Monday I start installing!

Best Regards
Freddie

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!

5 Replies Related Threads

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:My WIN-HD disk failed! I'm going now for RAID 1. 2010/10/21 17:06:11 (permalink)
    NONE

image your OS drive weekly.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:My WIN-HD disk failed! I'm going now for RAID 1. 2010/10/21 17:19:41 (permalink)
    I agree, making regular full hard drive backups to a second drive is what I do.   I use Acronis True Image software for the backups. 

If I do some recording, I make a backup that day, thus nothing is ever really lost.  If the hard drive would fail, I can restore in about an hour (plus or minus) and be back to the entire PC configuration of the last backup.   

I do full hard drive backups, not incremental.  Incremental can be a problem keeping track of them and it will take less time for a full backup.  If you have increments, and you need to restore, you have to restore the full backup and then however many incrementals you have.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:My WIN-HD disk failed! I'm going now for RAID 1. 2010/10/22 02:54:21 (permalink)
    Yes, thanks for your inputs...

"image OS" that will not help me.  If my HD-crash example the one with "image OS" or even worse other disks like:----> "AUDIO" or "Sample-disk" I'm still would be seriously F-ucked!

I need redundancy in my system. Now my business is down over a week...
    I have no time to making backup every day, all day long while working, even though I do manual backup once a while too.

I need a fail safe system, something that take care of my backup and redundancy automatic.  I think I will go for RAID 10 that give me that solution I'm looking for + it gives me the disk performance as RAID 0, added on top of that  4x-times faster "READ from disk" that could be really good to have without going for large expensive SSD-disks.

So the question is: RAID Bios, Software RAID in Windows 7 or add a additional RAID card?

Best Regards
    Freddie

post edited by Freddie H - 2010/10/22 02:56:35

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:My WIN-HD disk failed! I'm going now for RAID 1. 2010/10/22 06:23:00 (permalink)
    RAID isn't always the answer.  One forum I belong to had a disc crash last year.  It was operating with a MAC as the forum server and RAID (Don't know what mode) and both drives crashed at the same time. 

Murphy's Law rules.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:My WIN-HD disk failed! I'm going now for RAID 1. 2010/10/22 09:06:57 (permalink)
    Freddie H

Yes, thanks for your inputs...

"image OS" that will not help me.  If my HD-crash example the one with "image OS" or even worse other disks like:----> "AUDIO" or "Sample-disk" I'm still would be seriously F-ucked!

I need redundancy in my system. Now my business is down over a week...
    I have no time to making backup every day, all day long while working, even though I do manual backup once a while too.

I need a fail safe system, something that take care of my backup and redundancy automatic.  I think I will go for RAID 10 that give me that solution I'm looking for + it gives me the disk performance as RAID 0, added on top of that  4x-times faster "READ from disk" that could be really good to have without going for large expensive SSD-disks.

So the question is: RAID Bios, Software RAID in Windows 7 or add a additional RAID card?

Best Regards
    Freddie

1) a program like Paragon will do auto back up for you as well as auto image. so no excuse there.

2) if you really want redundancy then the only RIGHT way is a raid 5/6 with a very good raid card ($400 plus) and 3 drive minimum (actually need 3 drives for audio, 3 drives for samples) you still never never raid your OS.

then you still have to back up the raid 5 if you have any sense to a NAS raid 5 (like a drobo 4 or 8 bay unit)
    i am always amazed when i get the phone call "i lost my data"

having experianced it first hand i now have double redundacy.
    even my tech system files (drivers, programs etc we use daily) has double redundacy never mind the accounting software etc.  (2 different servers)

its expsensive to set up but after that!

or just make backups to external drives like i mentioned with Paragon.
    Raid 1 is NOT the right way.

without it its like saying:
     crap my studio got broke into and i lost everything.
    i forgot to lock the door and turn on the alarm...

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1