My first OC experience

Author
tcbetka
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
2008/09/10 21:26:19 (permalink)

My first OC experience

Well, it was easier than I thought--my first OC experience. I did some research online today and found a couple of good links, and read up on the what's, why's & how-to's of OC'ing...and worked up some courage.

So I opened my BIOS and used the uGuru utility; piece of cake. I couldn't increase the multiplier at all, so that was out for OC methods. And I didn't see a way to reduce the RAM speed in order to make some headroom for increasing the FSB. So in the end, I simply increased the FSB speed by 5MHz at a time, and the CPU speed increased by 40 MHz each time. Then I would reboot to make sure nothing was wrong--and each time it worked just fine. I stopped when I got her up to 3.000GHz though, simply because I am not exactly sure I am doing everything correctly. I know Jim pushes his systems farther, so I figure I have a safety factor yet.

As I mentioned above, one of the references I read indicated that it was a good practice to reduce the speed of the RAM in order to make headroom--because they said that the RAM speed would increase as the system was OC'd. But like I said, I couldn't find a way to do that, so I didn't...lol.

Is there a way to do this--do I *need* to do this? Is there any truth to it? It sure sounded reasonable to me, but...

Thanks.

TB

EDIT: I went back into the BIOS and looked at the DRAM speed options again. It looks to me that all a person can do is to select a ratio (like 1:1.50) that results in a *faster* RAM speed; not a slower one. I didn't try this to OC the machine, because I was a bit concerned about the RAM headroom issue...so I left it alone and set on "default."
post edited by tcbetka - 2008/09/10 21:43:59

Gretsch drums
Mackie 1640 Onyx, Firewire I/O
Audix mics
Sonar 8.5 PE / Pro Tools LE 7.4
M-audio MobilePre USB / M-box 2
Windows XP / Q9450 2.66 GHz Quad / Abit mobo / 4GB RAM
Seagate 1000, 500, 250, 80 & 80 GB hard drives
Glyph 120GB firewire drive

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1