Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
2011/10/15 08:33:23 (permalink)

My first song in this forum............REMIXED

Hi

I haven't posted anything in here before, mainly because I'm never overly happy with the way things turn out but I figured if I don't get some opinions/advice soon I'll never get better. So.............

Here's my millionth attempt at mixing one of my songs for advice and opinion on. Although I'm interested in opinions on all aspects of the song I'm particularly interested in comments about the mixing and general production.

All input appreciated.....thanks.

Song Here

Link:updated to latest mix
post edited by FastBikerBoy - 2011/11/26 04:56:42

52 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/15 09:12:37 (permalink)
    I like it.... reminds me of the music I listened to in the 70's and 80's.... cool stuff. Some touches of Crimson, Floyd, and others in there.  What we used to call album cuts for FM radio. 

On my computer speakers it sounds good.... overall. The bass was hard to hear but again I'm listening on 2" speakers, and they don't do bass well... I'll listen again on my lappy with cans later.

OK...what I can hear...

The snare sticks out a bit. I'd have to listen on better speakers to comment more on it. 

The guitar solo at 4m is cool. But I'm hearing some high freq disto ..... something sounds "edgy" in the top.....  nice playing and nice tone on it BTW..... 

IMHO I think the vox are a bit to low.. by just a few db. 

It seems to be reverb heavy, but that seems to work well with the song. Especially on the vox. 

Overall, a good song. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

I like this.  Thumbs up from me!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Rus W
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/15 09:20:46 (permalink)
    Yeah, I got an 80's vibe as well. And complaining about falling in love with somebody? How dare you! That's supposed to be a good thing. lol

I don't have trained ears, so there isn't much I can offer mix wise.

Again, great song and the guitar solo was brilliant!

iBM (Color of Music) MCS (Digital Orchestration)  

"The Amateur works until he (or she) gets it right. The professional works until he (or she) can't get it wrong." - Julie Andrews

BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/15 10:23:44 (permalink)
    + + + 1 - - - - 80's vibe
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/15 11:04:00 (permalink)

Sounds really good FBB.

I just love the tone on that lead guitar, and the bass is very clear. In fact, the mix sounds spot on to me.

Nice one

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/15 11:26:56 (permalink)
    Sounds fine here other than the vocals being a little buried in places some automation on the vox might help.

All in all good work deserves the of approval.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    tonydean
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/15 12:15:18 (permalink)
    Good work mate, think I noticed first was the piano sound was very dry and needs to be put back in the mix a little thought it sat on top a bit, true pianos that you have in x1 if that's what you used, add some reverb and it will sound a lot better!

Intel Core i7 920, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Dual screen,   Sonar X3e, Producer64bit, BFD2 64bit with Andy Johns
    Waves Mercury, M-Audio Profire 610, Fender Strat Guitar, Cole Clark, Angel 2 Acoustic, Takamine G-Series Acoustic Guitar
    Jackson Skulls Guitar, Rode NT-2 Condenser Mic
    2 TB, Samsung pro840 256 gig SSD, USB 3.0 WD external HD, Sonar V-Studio 700c.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/15 13:11:32 (permalink)
    I like this!  love the piano, guitar and bass on this.  really nice!

this is pretty darn good for someone who's so UNTALENTED!!! LOL!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Purple Rhapsody
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 469
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/15 13:52:58 (permalink)
    I like the song - difficult to comment on the mix because I'm a purely instrumental guy but there were places where the vocal did sound a bit drowned.

Good lyrics too.

Cheers,
    Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/15 14:15:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the replies........

@Russ W, BIABDude, & Guitarhacker..... I guess 80s vibe shows my age, could be worse it could be 60s.

@Steve & Wookiee - Thanks very much.

@Guitarhacker & Wookiee - I'll revisit the mix for the 1,000,001st time ... and try and get the vocals a little more consistent.

@tonydean - while I'm there I'll try a little more reverb on the piano (which is from my Roland Sonic Cell BTW). I thought if anything the piano after the first verse was a little buried but I'll pay it a little more attention.

@Purple Rhapsody - Thanks. That re-enforces the comments about drowned vocals earlier.

@beagle - Thanks. This was recorded before I was fully untalented though. I've got much worse now.

The guitar tone is my trusty old JCM600 with a 4 x 10 cab BTW.
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/15 14:51:15 (permalink)
    I like this song as well. It's a great song with the 80s vibe that is unmistakable yet, it still has a fresh feel to it.

As far as the mix.

To me, the bass is too loud. It seems to staccoto during runs. The dotted quarter/eighth rhythm is fine for that but the runs should be more legato. At least that's how I would play them. Great bass line though. Softsynth or player? It almost sounds like a Scarbee bass.

Your toms are causing congestion in the low end. They start crowding out everthing down there when you hit the lower toms. Rolling of the low end will help there.

I think the guitars are a bit dark sounding. Maybe brighten them  up a bit. If you lower the bass, they should be at a good level.

There are times your vox gets buried. They could be a little brighter. I think the problem though is how the vox is eqed in the mix rather than a level. There are two types of eqing. Corrective and combining. I think your voice could be brighter so that would be on the recorded track/corrective eq. On the vox bus you would combine everything by bringing certain frequencies up or down so they fit with everything else. That means you'll have to do it for all the busses so everything works together and has it's own space.

I love this song! I love how the backing vocals work. everything just gels so well. I think I would prefer a fade out end rather than the abrupt ending you have.

Very well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    PGShadow
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/15 16:00:02 (permalink)
    I really like it, good mix over all. I only noticed a few small things in spots.
    1) the snare rim work in the opening could come up a little bit.
    2) the over all snare could come down( as suggested earlier) maybe through automation in sections, may help add more dynamics to the mix
    3)the low tom in the fill @ 1:45 sounds a bit overdriven.
    4) and this is just my personal prefrence...alittle more "beef" in the low end Bass guitar.

Love the lead guitar tone, sounds close to Slash's Les Paul tone in GnR November Rain.
    Nice Job.
    Kevin

Gateway FX/intel i7-860/ 8gig DDR3/ 1TB Drive/Win7-64/ Sonar 8.5Pro/X1Pro/X2Pro w/QF308/Tascam US-1641/Yamaha HS-50 Monitor's & HS-10sub/ Digitech GnX3 guitar processor/ Digitech BP100 Bass processor/ART DSP II preamp/ MXL 770 &990/ Yamaha RM50 Drum Brain,Custom Mesh head Kit/ rack "O" toyz......And ONE BIG VIsa bill
    Basradaem
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/15 16:42:18 (permalink)
    Diggin' the 80s vibe.  I really enjoyed this.  Excellent job man!

Luke Sarro
    --------------
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit on Windows 10 x64 

ATS
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 877
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/15 19:58:10 (permalink)
    I just want to say, you got a GREAT voice.  I love it!
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/16 00:23:04 (permalink)
    Hey FBB really cool stuff.  I enjoyed the song. I agree with the others about the vox being buried in some spots.  A little automation should fix that.  Not a huge fan of the verb on the kick but maybe it fits this genre.

My measly opinion - no verb on kick and a smidgen more verb on the snare.

Nice song and good vox, great job 

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/16 04:39:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input...........

@Guitarpima. The bass is real although I'd never claim to be a bass player, so you're probably hearing my technical limitations. It's a cheap Peavey something or other that I bought years ago while I was a Guitar Tracks Pro user before I switched to Sonar at V2 just so that I had something to record bass on.

The consensus seems to be the vocal levels need looking at so that's something I'll be looking at soon. EQ is something I'm really still getting to grips with how to use for mix positioning but I understand the theory so I guess I'll get better at it with practice.

Strange you should mention the ending I was undecided for a long time whether to fade or go with the abrupt finish. That's sort of a hangover from playing it live that has stuck.

@PGShadow. I think the very last change I made to the mix was bring the rimshot level down, perhaps I should have left it. It's not often I get mentioned in the same sentence as Slash, in fact I never get mentioned in the same sentence as him. the lead guitar was my old MIJ Squier Strat I bought new in '85 that has twin humbuckers on it straight into a JCM600 through the matching 4 x 10.

@Dreambliss. Thanks for the props.

@ATS - thanks I've not got the greatest confidence in my voice so that means a lot, my voice has always just been a 'means to an end' to me.

@LpMike75 - Vox complimented twice in two posts. I'm flattered. Thanks for the props.

The responses to this song have really given me confidence in my mixing so thanks for that, now I have a ton of stuff I want to re-mix.......
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/16 05:15:03 (permalink)
    Hi, Karl,

Very cool song with a definite retro Pink Floyd/Peter Gabriel vibe!

The mix is clean sounding and your vocals sound really good.  I agree with Mike about adding a touch of automation to keep the vocals more forward in certain spots, and also maybe beefing up the low end in the mix a little, as PGShadow suggested.

Great song, really nice work, have a good weekend!
    Bob

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/16 09:25:58 (permalink)
    I like this song. Seems to me the power chord attack could come down a bit, and that might clear up the vocals being buried a bit. The lead guitar that comes in towards the lead break could come down a bit could come down a titch until the vocal ends. It kinda swamps the vocal there. Nice work Karl,

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/16 14:07:38 (permalink)
    First off, welcome to the lower floors - far more civilized down here ;) Second, I'm no kind of expert on a anything, so any opinions expressed are just those of a guy who's still tryin to figure all this stuff out too, so just sayin what I hear..........

Not read all the other comments, so sorry for any redundancies, but the way I see it is that if lots of people say the same stuff, then they're probably right.....

Anyhoo, on the whole I liked what I heard. My nit picks would be that the guitar is a bit overpowering in places and the vocals are a bit buried - possibly by the guitar. The snare could maybe be dialled back a smidge (technical term) and maybe a bit more lower end to fatten it up a bit. The vox is the main issue IMHO. What I usually do is have the vox just forward of the lead instrument (the guitar in your case) and to check this I just fade the song out and listen to what disappears in what order, so the guitar would be the second last thing to disappear followed by the vocal. Dunno if this is right or not technically speaking, but it seems to work for me.

Nice to hear someone from upstairs walking the walk instead of just talking the talk anyway, so keep em coming. Look forward to hearing some more.
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/16 15:44:35 (permalink)
    Hey FBB!

I like this song a lot. It's very charming, catching and interesting all the way through and it makes me want to have a beer with a good friend. It sounds pretty good to me. The only thing I'd like to point out is the Hi Hat and cymbals in general. Sounds like everything is going on pretty much the same velocity and end up being slightly drum machiny. A velocity MIDI FX with random parametres would do the trick. And changing between Hi Hat, Ride and Crash for the different parts would add a lot of realism to the drums. Or you could get a drummer to play it. Everything here sounds very organic to me but the tss-tss-tss-tss through out gets a little tedious

Oh, and don't forget to take out the hi-hats and cymbals during the tom fills - it kills the illusion

Vocals sounding pretty good to me. I like that they are placed a little back in the mix. Makes everything sound huge! The kick and snare is nice and the guitars are very nice. Perhaps the bass get's a little dominating over the guitars at times but that's just a maybe. In my ears this track is more or less finished

But come on here, you're just braggin'! Untalented? Dude, you got to work harder on that one!

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/16 20:08:51 (permalink)
    FBB,
    Thanks for posting your song.  I really like it!  My thoughts:

1.  All vocal tracks: add 6 db 5k and 12k.
    2.  Toms: take off 3 db at 400 hz, then bring them up 2 db.
    3.  Lead guitar: tone is great, bring it down 3 db in the solo.
    4.  Bkg vocs:bring all up 3 db.
    5.  Cymbals and hat, ProjectM has it right on this.  Add some 8k to 10k and adjust levels.
    6.  Do all these changes and then check out the mix at a very low volume.  Then adjust vocals, bass, guitars.  Then bring it up to standard volume and check this out.  I would love to hear the difference. 

Love your vocals and then song.  Many good things here.  Keep it up!

Rimshot 

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/16 20:50:15 (permalink)
    I like this - very cool.

Not fond of the snare though.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/16 20:54:58 (permalink)
    FBB,

Not knowing what you want comments on I'll cover both aspects of the song.

Structure
    Production

Structure: 
    Very very good. Kind of reminds me of PF & Dexie's Midnight Runners (or whatever they were called). Make me want to hear more.

Production: 
    Since it's a guitar tune I'll base my mix observations on that. 

The bass is a great tone quality for that song. I'd only drop the level about 1db or so. It's not bad but just a bit too strong for that style drumming. 

The drums seem a bit thin to me, I'd have chosen a little fatter snare (then maybe the bass would not sound too strong). The drums sound like they are in a different space (reverb wise). They are clear so that is good, but the sound out of character with the rest of the instruments (again because of the choice of reverb). 

The vox could come up by about 2db (or just drop all instrument levels by 2db).

Excellent job otherwise.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/17 02:52:04 (permalink)
    Wow, thanks again for all the replies..............

@ Bob Oister, rsp@odyssey . net. - Thanks I'm def going to look at the vocal levels.

@paulo - Thanks for the welcome, I do wander into the coffee house from time to time and have quite often lurked in here but didn't feel really qualified to start advising others when I find my own stuff hard enough to get my head round. Your comments are pretty much what most people are saying so I've duly taken note and will be revisting the mix when I get time.

@projectM - yeah point about the drums taken. I really should change this on my older stuff, my later stuff I think I've got a lot better at drum progamming on. I've still got the MIDI track archived somewhere but they take a little time to re-record because 99% of my drums are external drum machines. Most of them a Zoom MRT-3 which has some great sounds on it, better than my SR-16 IMHO. Untalented?? Ssssssh I had to work hard to get the untalented badge, IIRC you were posting in on the thread where that happened. LOL

@Rimshot - I'll give those settings a whirl and see what it sounds like. Thanks for the comments.

@Clean - Thanks the snare seems to be attracting several comments, I have quite a tight sounding snare (I think) that I like but that looks like it might be a wrong call from the comments here. Another thing to look at.

@bapu - Thanks. I don't really know where my 'style' comes from, I just write how I feel. I'm actually a huge Stranglers fan (ask stevestrummerUK) but I've only just written a song very recently that even sounds vaguely like them. I guess it's an amalgamation of my very eclectic tastes. Thanks for the bass comment that means a lot coming from yourself. I think I need to reduce the amount of reverb busses I have kicking around a project, maybe that'll stop me getting too adventurous.

I'd just like to say a really big thanks to everyone that has commented. You'll never know how much confidence this has given me in my mixing - I know there's a way to go yet but I now have some where before I had none, so thanks for that. What a great forum this is..........
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/17 09:26:10 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

@projectM - yeah point about the drums taken. I really should change this on my older stuff, my later stuff I think I've got a lot better at drum progamming on. I've still got the MIDI track archived somewhere but they take a little time to re-record because 99% of my drums are external drum machines. Most of them a Zoom MRT-3 which has some great sounds on it, better than my SR-16 IMHO. Untalented?? Ssssssh I had to work hard to get the untalented badge, IIRC you were posting in on the thread where that happened. LOL

A ha, I understand. Well, like I said, the song is still good. It would just dot the 'I's and such so you haven't taken the plunge on Superior Dummer or EZDrummer etc?

Yeah I remember our dear friend who called you untalented. The same one who insisted that I've never used Sonar. Very funny in retrospect. I remember you worked hard to be called untalented - I'm just saying that this tune kind of make you not so untalented any more. Work harder!

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Venus
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/17 09:33:20 (permalink)
    "I'm never overly happy with the way things turn out".....welcome to the club!

Good progression. Sounds good considering what you're working with.

Yes, I'm back ...with minions. Luv, D

Collabs are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1208769 
    Past solo recordings (my mixes) are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=918473 
    The future is on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZqTJNpfZuGy7k62nVJ4eA

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/17 15:25:37 (permalink)
    I'm just listening on a small laptop and my ears aren't that great anyway, but I really like the song and it doesn't sound like you're too far off to get the mix everyone will be happy with.  Don't quit now!  And yes, this is a great forum. 

Well, most of the time.  :) 
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/17 17:19:18 (permalink)
    Welcome to the song forum FBB, I like this track, I really like the vocals, they are really heartfelt and I like the "Look what you've done" that's a great hook.

I don't mind the mix, maybe you need to turn the vox up slighty but it's a preference thing.

I like the lead guitar tone and the solo.

Really great job looking forward to more of your songs.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    Scoobie
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/17 18:35:53 (permalink)
    Cool song FBB !   Just as some has already siad, I think you need to carve out alittle
    space for the vocals to sit better in the mix .     I would start with cut'in some mids out
    of the guitar around where your vocal is.............. :)

Tim

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:My first song in this forum............ 2011/10/17 19:42:51 (permalink)
    There is a lot of low midrange overlap of the vocal, guitar and reverb. I would work on the EQ in that area and I agree with Ed, the bass needs to go down a bit. Where are the cymbals? I hear places they should be but they aren't (well I just heard one, they seem a bit washed out).

Just noticed the kick is a very static and needs to work a bit more with the bass notes. Also there is a lot of stuff in the middle of the mix that could be pushed to the sides.

Those are my first impressions.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1