Helpful ReplyMy initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II

Author
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
2014/08/25 14:16:39 (permalink)

My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II

Hi all, I promised I would post my thoughts on this when I had a chance to use it. It's a piece of hardware, but since there are crickets there and most of my friends are here, I thought this would be OK. It does have a software interface! :)

So, I have been enjoying Amplitube a lot, but it's still not quite "there" for me. Also, dealing with even small latency when playing just kills the vibe for me. Danny was pushing (gently, I might add! lol) the Fractal Axe FX II as the next level in modelling. After listening to some sound clips and watching videos on youtube, I had to check it out.

I had an opportunity to try a Kemper once I decided on the Axe FX II, but I found it a bit unwieldy, and it did not have the depth of effects that I craved. I have built many versions of pedal boards, and I've owned all sorts of vintage and new gear. I even had a rack system with 3 GCX switchers and an Axxess ground system (with expander) to run the entire rig. I had soldered every single cable, and it was all midi aware. I LOVE effects. :) The Axe Edit software is like having the ability to build a pedal board or rack in real-time. Truly, this software is as amazing as the Axe itself, and I'm not sure I would keep the Axe without it. It just simplified everything, and is a real joy to use.

I picked up the XL unit just to help future-proof my purchase a bit. There was already a firmware upgrade available and I applied it with no problem. The unit looks very professional and polished, but other than plugging things in I haven't used it much at all - I use the Axe Edit software for everything.

The sounds that come from this thing are stunning - absolutely stunning. The most realistic modelling I have ever heard (or thought I might hear). There are so many tones in this, it is mind blowing. Not only are there something like 150+ modeled amps (and at least as many cabs), you can tweak them as though you were an amp tech. You can adjust paramters (if you want to) that you could only do in real life by cracking up the chassis and changing out caps, resisters, etc. You can move tone stacks around and tweak EQ curves - you can basically build your own amps if you want to. You then have a crazy number of cabs, and about a dozen mics to choose from. There are also a dizzying array of effects to choose from, and again, beyond the basic controls for these effects you can "get inside them" and tweak like you were changing the hardware. Wow.

The routing functionality is also a work of art. You literally create virtual wiring and can create incredibly complex effects configurations if you want to (and I want to). You can run two amps and two cabs per preset, and each amp and each effect slot has an X and a Y configuration for each switching with the floorboard if you have it. 

I played for hours with it this weekend, and it is a keeper for me. To be able to get that recorded amp sound, without warming up tubes or cracking things to 11 is a huge workflow improvement for me. I am software guy and a gear nut, so I find this pretty intuitive (as much as it can be) but some might find it a challenge. I've played with a few custom configurations, but mostly just clicking through presets and adjusting parameters. It's amazing how you just magically hear sounds from albums you know as you do this.

It's a very pricey unit and the honeymoon period could wear out, and I'll be honest about that if it does. However, the Axe FX II XL feels like the holy grail I've searched for for many years. I personally thank Danny for turning me on to this - it's rekindled a fire for playing that I haven't had in awhile. And if you play, you know how cool it is to find a piece of gear that actually inspires you to play.

I'll try and post more as I get more time with it...
Eddie TX
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1104
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/25 15:53:24 (permalink)
James, thanks for this great writeup.  Even though the price puts this out of reach for many, it's good to know that it's possible to get real amp sounds without the amp.  

It's likely that this level of tech will trickle down to more affordable software solutions over time.  Maybe Amplitube 5 or 6 will match it. 

Cheers,
Eddie

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
The future exists in all directions.
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/25 22:42:49 (permalink)
Although it is pricey...go price a sax, upright bass, great keyboard, etc.  As guitar players, we got spoiled with Mexi Strats and half decent Korean values.  I'll stop at the Chinese junk.
For the price a a good Les Paul or two and/or a pair of Am Strats, you're in the same ballpark.
I LOVE reading good news reports.  I'm gonna have to figure out a way to thin the herd and apply it towards one of these.  My Boss GT-100, although nice...is just nice.  Same with the HD500.  Infact my J-station has a preset I almost prefer best.
The AxeFX is appearing to be the preference over the Kemper, from what I"ve read.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/25 22:56:56 (permalink)
Yes thanks for the review. Keep us informed as you get to know it better.

Do you also have the foot pedal?

Mixmkr: You still have a J-Station too?😊

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/25 23:19:11 (permalink)
Grem...I've still got my 1st generation POD.  Why ditch it for $35 when it can collect dust instead?  I did sell my 1st gen ProCo Rat for $300+ this spring though ;-(     naw....  ;-)  !!

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/26 08:34:25 (permalink)
I'm so SCREWED!
Home for about 3 more weeks, I've successfully avoided ordering for now.
I can see I'll have to have one come November.
Why did you have to reveal you can "build" your own amp in the software?
But really, THANKS James!
I think the software interface is the "key" for me.
Abandoned my GSP2101, got tired of the little screen and tedious editing.
Oh, I remember LA Music had 100 watt stacks priced at a grand ($1500 MSRP?) in the very early seventies.
How much was a Strat or LP in '71?
And remember; armed with a good guitar and a great amp, you can conquer the world!
Tom

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
smallstonefan
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/26 09:20:54 (permalink)
So my wife was OK with me ordering the Axe FX II XL when I had half the funds. I'm just about done raising the other half and when I have half the foot pedal I'll order that next. :)

This caused a big shed of gear, and I'm OK with that (I'm sort of enjoying the simplification):

I sold:
  • 1979 Marshall JMP Head
  • Bass Pod Pro XT
  • Waves CLA Signature Native
  • Mojo vibe
  • Pitchfactor
  • Boss SE70 and EQ (used to create shimmer effects)
 I am selling:
  • Mid 80's Roland JC120 with cover
  • Waves HLS
  • Waves REDD
  • Waves Vitamin
  • Boss RC-50 Loopstation
  • Skreddy Pink Flesh
  • Fender 1979 Strat
It's all about keeping the gear fund rolling! 

clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/26 10:16:54 (permalink)
Here's a great budget solution...I sold my HD500 and DT50 and bought a Zoom G5, Zoom MS-70CDR, Two Alto TS112A's and finally a Logidy Epsi with Ownhammer Studio Mix (Modern) IRs.  I paid $922 total and I couldn't be happier with the tones. I was really wanting a Axefx or Kemper, but just didn't want to invest that much cash at the moment.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/26 15:06:48 (permalink)
clintmartin
Here's a great budget solution...I sold my HD500 and DT50 and bought a Zoom G5, Zoom MS-70CDR, Two Alto TS112A's and finally a Logidy Epsi with Ownhammer Studio Mix (Modern) IRs.  I paid $922 total and I couldn't be happier with the tones. I was really wanting a Axefx or Kemper, but just didn't want to invest that much cash at the moment.

The G5 is the BOMB....that thing has some awesome sounds....

Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/26 18:03:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2014/08/26 17:57:53
clintmartin
 I was really wanting a Axefx or Kemper, but just didn't want to invest that much cash at the moment.

Another potential quiet recording solution:
Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36
It's a 36w Four-channel Tube head (completely programmable - via tablet or footswitch) with RedBox cab sim output and integrated Reverb, Delay, and Modulation EFX... as well as noise-gate and power-soak.
Just got one last night
Very versatile with the four completely independent channels
The distortion isn't quite a sweet "thick and saggy" as the Engl Ironball... but it has a nice full aggressive sounding heavy crunch (in both the Lead and Ultra channels).  Dynamic response is very good...
Total recall of all settings except the Master Volume (this includes the noise-gate and power-soak).
The RedBox cab sim actually sounds pretty decent.  Not as good as mic'ing a real cab... but certainly better than many simulated/modeled cabs

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/26 22:19:53 (permalink)
James,
That's a great review!  Why not post us some sound files?
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/26 23:13:11 (permalink)
I've been eye balling that Tubemeister 5w head Jim. It has the Red Box and power soak as well. I've just got to figure out what I'm going to sell to fund that. 😊

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
strikinglyhandsome1
Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7224
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/27 09:36:29 (permalink)
I bought the original Axe-fx when it came out. The idea was to not buy anything else and all these years later I haven't bought any extra pedals. I bought the old Yamaha MFC10 midi foot controller to operate it in a simplistic fashion.

The Axe-fx is the best I've used. The ultra, II and II XL are a massive step up. Most of the old criticism was by people who never played it and were never going to pay the high price for it anyway. Tedious.

Try it, buy it, like it or not.

Does the bedroom player need it and is it X amount better than the ones aimed at the hobbyist? Well, you can still get great sounds out of any of them but this is a step up. I'd be happy to use a cheaper one (I have done) but I'm glad I have it.

Although it shouldn't matter if johnny famous player uses it, there was definitely a shift when x,y and z started using it, mainly for the effects, which are fantastic.

I'd buy the new version in a heartbeat if anyone could lend me a few grand.
clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/27 23:24:08 (permalink)
cclarry
clintmartin

The G5 is the BOMB....that thing has some awesome sounds....

You should hear it with the Ownhammer IRs. I think the Redwirez IRs are great too. They (Redwirez) require more work, but you have a lot more options for mic placement. Good times for us guitar players. A bunch of the Axefx guys are using these OH studio series IRs also...FWIW.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

strikinglyhandsome1
Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7224
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/28 05:26:30 (permalink)
I use the OH stuff and Redwirez.
MagicMike
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/28 06:03:39 (permalink)
I'm getting brilliant results by running either my VOX or HIWATT full pelt into the LOAD setting on my THD Hotplate, and then line out into SONAR with RedWirez Cab sims. So much better than a soft-sim.

Windows 10 x64, 16 gb RAM,i7 4.2GHz, 250GB Samsung SSD for OS/Programs, SSD for current projects,  1TB Disk for audio and backup project files, RME UCX interface on USB, ASUS motherboard, dual screen setup with latest AMD FX 5450 catalyst drivers for graphics, Cakewalk by Bandlab. Samson Graphite 49 keyboard.
Genghis
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 827
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/28 07:44:54 (permalink)
strikinglyhandsome1
The Axe-fx is the best I've used. The ultra, II and II XL are a massive step up. Most of the old criticism was by people who never played it and were never going to pay the high price for it anyway. Tedious.

Agree 100%. There are still critics who have never played an Axe-FX and plenty of people who will suggest that solution X or Y is just as good at a fraction of the cost.  While you can get decent results with other tools, the Axe-FX II is really ahead of the class.  Haven't tried the Kemper, but I've heard very good things about that as well.

Gotta love the Axe-FX II with the latest Ownhammer offerings. Great amp tones through great IRs.

Great first review from the OP! Hope the honeymoon phase lasts as long for you as it has for me.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
smallstonefan
Re: My initial thoughts on the Fractal Axe FX II 2014/08/28 13:34:26 (permalink)
I've got to clear some items off my plate and then perhaps I can get some sound files!

I'd really like to use the tone matching on my 1964 Super Reverb. :) The process intrigues me but I don't have the time (yet).
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1