My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what????

Author
joba51
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2011/02/11 13:07:40 (permalink)

My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what????

This is a dupe post I out up in Sonar Producer and was advised to put it up here, so...

I'm using Sonar 8.3 on a dual quad PC with an M-Audio Delta 44 card  88.2 at 24 bits, with either an M-Audio DMP3 preamp or Blue Tube preamp, with any of the following mics: Rode N1000, M-Audio Solaris, AKG C1000, PVM-280 or Shure Sm57. Alesis passive monitors. 
Vocals, regardless of the mic or preamp, sound terrible, like I'm in a box, kind of nasal, no "air". They literally all sound the same. 
I tried using a different interface - a Lexicon Lambda - same results. Tried 44.1 vs 88.2, same results. What's the issue here? Could it be the cables I'm using? I don't think these mics could be that bad. I actually have two of each except for the Shure, and I hear no difference between mics. 
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of older recordings I've made to compare to, I've been away from recording for some time and equipment has changed. At wit's end!

18 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 13:57:47 (permalink)
    Don't know for sure, except that you won't get much of a response out of the SM57.

One question - are you usig ANY sort of processing on the way into Sonar? EQ, Compression, Saturation etc.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 13:57:57 (permalink)
    how dead is the room? meaning, is it acoustically treated? are you adding air afterwards to compensate for the loss? can you patch a eq inline while you are recording? If the room is too dead, it will sound flat.

The sound card might need an upgrade. I use the M-audio 101LT, it is not bad but i feel it needs upgrading someday.

Also, i noticed you said you record at 88.2...no need my friend. unless you can hear dog whistles.. You are using up too much hard drive space for nothing. I record at 48k - 24 bit only. then afterwards you have to dither down to 44k - 16bit redbook standard anyway...

read this article.....

http://www.soundonsound.c...01/articles/warmth.asp

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
    FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
    Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
    Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    joba51
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 14:01:01 (permalink)
    No, no processing on the way in.
    joba51
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 14:03:32 (permalink)
    hmm..... too dead?  Might be, though then why would anyone use a vocal booth?  Yeah, I know, I'm just going (trying) to finish my projects in progress and switch back to 44 or 48. Thanks
    7-string_guy
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 14:06:32 (permalink)
    I generally record with a eq on bypass mode. if i see a problem, i will turn it on. I also record with a DBX 166XL compressor, to adjust the peaks... I would consider the room you are recording in. if you feel ALL of your mikes sound dead flat. especially cause you have that AKG, which is awesome IMO.

Also consider that passive speaker system....are they truth monitors?, try listening to a non-eq'd audition in your car. is it still dead? put the mix on your home stereo, see if it is any better there.

Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    7-string_guy
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 14:14:26 (permalink)
    vocal booths that i've seen or used, end up being a 8 x 8 room with half of it padded. wood floor, drywall, and tile ceilings. then again, it had processing on the way in.

After spending booku amounts of money in other peoples studios, i decided to try this out on my own and am so glad i did. Its an art. You have to make adjustments before and after a recording. add some air like that article i suggested said.  12-14 k, 0.7 or so Q,  4 decibels
    post edited by 7-string_guy - 2011/02/11 14:15:46

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 14:21:46 (permalink)
    Joba.....          The mics you listed all are fairly decent mics.... Rode, Shure....

I would play around and experiment a bit.

Set them up, be sure there is NO compression or EQ or any FX on the input side of the chain..... try them with and without the pre amps.

It sounds like you are recording dry, which is good.  My dry mic sound is not exactly the best. It's after I get a nice clean tracking of the mic's output (vocals) that the work begins.

At this point I add a bit of reverb and EQ to the  track in the FX bin. By contouring the EQ I can get the boxiness out of the vox, add some highs for sparkle, and roll off the mids and bottom as needed to clean it up nicely. Then by adding some reverb... just a touch, you can "open up some room" around the vox.

Try that.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 14:43:41 (permalink)
    You have some decent mics there, so I'm thinking its your position in the room, and possibly your mic technique.

Try recording a vocal in the middle of the room. Check your position from the mic by putting your thumb against your nose and spreading out your fingers til your pinky touches the mic. That's the distance you want to sing at. Go back and check your level and make sure your getting a decent signal and record a track. Let us know if it's any better.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    joba51
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 14:53:08 (permalink)
    Thanks all. I'm glad to hear that the overall consensus is that there is not an equipment issue. I'll let you know how I make out.
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 14:57:43 (permalink)

SM57

go to around 29:00 .
    nuff said.

BTW, Try eating the mic (1") and then hi pass around 240hz and maybe a dip at 500hz to get rid of proximity.
    post edited by timidi - 2011/02/11 15:00:17

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 15:45:38 (permalink)
    Some of the nasal quality might be delt with by mic positioning. Try putting the mic cartridge level (not slanted) and even with the area just below your nose (cartridge slightly above your mouth). Don't tip your head back when you sing. If you get loud and want to control dynamics, lean back or turn to the side a bit. Many singers I see performing live, tip their heads back and go instantly nasal (and thin) due to directional emphasis on the sinus and off-axis EQ changes in the pickup pattern. Boxiness can often be related to the room. Close mic'ing can help reduce room effects, unless this is actually a too-much-bass problem. Keep music stands, and other hard surfaces away, if possible. You might try mic'ing a little off axis on purpose as another approach. Also, double check the tracks with headphones as your problem could be over-exaggerated by a bad listening environment.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 15:53:21 (permalink)
    Since the equipment is good, that leaves technique or your voice.  How does it sound elsewhere.  I know you can't hear it, but ask somebody with knowledge to listen to you - both in your studio and somewhere else.  And compare that sound to what you are getting after recording.  If it sounds the same to your listener, it is the voice.  If not, then it is the room or mic technique.  Those can be fixed.  If not, call yourself the next Bob Dylan and go for it.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 15:53:57 (permalink)
    If all of your mics sound "literally the same"...perhaps you simply sound that way.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 16:59:56 (permalink)
    skullsession

If all of your mics sound "literally the same"...perhaps you simply sound that way.
    Exactly! Unless you get the same results with other singers - this is likely true.

I also have to agree with TIMIDI a few posts up regarding the 57. Never sell that one short. 
    It's not a great vocal studio mic but it should still sound good. What it will do better than the other mics is eliminate the room from the equation (not 100%, but much, much more than the others) if you suspect the room might be a problem.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 17:16:04 (permalink)
    i think it's your preamps.

beg, borrow or steal some other 'better' preamps, and see if that makes a diff.

if so, start counting your beans.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 18:14:21 (permalink)
    Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson had great careers singing through their noses..... don't sell it short...

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/11 22:13:59 (permalink)
    joba51

This is a dupe post I out up in Sonar Producer and was advised to put it up here, so...

I'm using Sonar 8.3 on a dual quad PC with an M-Audio Delta 44 card  88.2 at 24 bits, with either an M-Audio DMP3 preamp or Blue Tube preamp, with any of the following mics: Rode N1000, M-Audio Solaris, AKG C1000, PVM-280 or Shure Sm57. Alesis passive monitors. 
    Vocals, regardless of the mic or preamp, sound terrible, like I'm in a box, kind of nasal, no "air". They literally all sound the same. 
    I tried using a different interface - a Lexicon Lambda - same results. Tried 44.1 vs 88.2, same results. What's the issue here? Could it be the cables I'm using? I don't think these mics could be that bad. I actually have two of each except for the Shure, and I hear no difference between mics. 
    Unfortunately I don't have a lot of older recordings I've made to compare to, I've been away from recording for some time and equipment has changed. At wit's end!

I tried all kinds of stuff but I still sounded nasaly (sounded like me).  All the mics I tried seemed to make it worse except for the AKG Solid Tube. It was the most flattering and seems to not pick up the nasal sound as bad. It also has a larger, more open (less focused) sound then most cardioid pattern mics. 

Note: The AKG Solid tube is not a real (full plate voltage) tube mic, in fact it's not even a true condensor. The design is more like a huge electret with a tube in there just for effect LOL !  But the sound is rich and huge. I have owned two of them over the years and my best vocal tracks were done with them.
    collisionmac
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:My mics all sound the same - boxy, nasal... what???? 2011/02/12 13:39:27 (permalink)
    Simply put, check vocal source proximity and room acoustics. If the chain is good and clean, then it'll mean that the source is the problem.  Whether that is you yourself, the room or proximity to the mic is what you need to find out, although proximity would usualy attribute to "boomy" and not boxy. Why not post a clip and we can take a listen and give a more accurate answer, because when everyone is simply guessing is just that.. guessing.
    I disagree with that it is due to preamps, unless they are broken. Sure certain preamps are going suck badly, but in my studio i have some clients tracked with $3000 preamps and some on $25 Behringer mic100's. It all depends on the vocal, but i know that not even the $25 preamp gives a boxy and nasally effect. This is what i meant before about guessing..

PS: If someone has already given a similar answer then i apologize. I didn't read all the posts but just the first few.
    post edited by collisionmac - 2011/02/13 14:06:39
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1