My mixes sound LOUD

Author
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
2016/10/01 09:42:19 (permalink)

My mixes sound LOUD

I wish this was true if I try to get more loudness from my music I start clipping and I can here the digital distortion (for the want of a better word) I would like to know how to get past this so my songs sound more dynamic and rangey (if there is such a word).

Sonar X series 
https://youtu.be/9YNplnhTAZY Steal My Girl
 https://youtu.be/A0VPi_UZmLo Moon & Stars

KRK VXT6 Studio One 3  Main: SPLAT for Lifetime: Formerly known as...
Nothing beats the best!

16 Replies Related Threads

dwardzala
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1470
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/01 10:31:44 (permalink)
    This could be caused by a lot of different things.

Overcompression might be squashing your dynamic range.
    You might have too much energy building up in certain areas of the frequency spectrum that are consuming your headroom (low frequencies are usually the culprit here - try to high pass stuff out of your tracks.)
    Check you plug in chains to make sure you're not clipping within the plugins themselves.

There are lots of other potential issues causing this as well.
    post edited by dwardzala - 2016/10/01 13:56:58

Dave
    Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
    MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
    Win10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
    M-Box Mini v. 2
    Win 10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
    https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/01 10:44:32 (permalink)
    I listened to Moon & Stars, 21, John Grey and Turn on the Beamer. Granted, YouTube isn't a good platform for judging dynamics, but I liked the mixes, the clarity of vocals and how they float above the mix, and the crisp percussion. I would not call these tunes dynamically-challenged.

The one common characteristic that stood out, however, was that the low bass seemed excessive. I suspect that your monitors might be weak down at the extreme low end, causing you to boost those frequencies beyond what's actually needed. Listening on headphones, it wasn't obvious. But on full-range speakers, it exceeds what I'm used to hearing on bottom-heavy reference material.

The problem with low frequencies is that they have to be so much higher in amplitude than everything else, just to be perceived as loud as the rest. That means any dynamics processors on your master bus will be primarily responding to them at the expense of everything else, even if you can't hear those extreme lows.

I'd suggest two things that might help. First, a moderately steep HPF set to start rolling off around 50 Hz, to attenuate the stuff you really don't need down in the 20-40 Hz octave. If that doesn't do it, try inserting a multi-band compressor in front of the limiter. By leveling lows, mids and highs independently, that will let you reign in the low end without sacrificing that nice and crisp percussion you've got going.

If you then feel you're losing the bass, look at your bass tones, especially the ones where you're apparently using an acoustic bass. Some of those tracks are so concentrated in the lows they're almost sine waves. Try an EQ boost on them somewhere in the 150-400 Hz range, which will improve their clarity and help them punch through at lower volume. If you have a plugin capable of gentle distortion, like FabFilter Saturn, you can use that to boost harmonics on the bass and make it sound louder than it really is.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/01 12:33:16 (permalink)
    dwardzala

You might have too much energy building up in certain areas of the frequency spectrum that are consuming your headroom (low frequencies are usually the culprit here - try to low pass stuff out of your tracks.)
    Check you plug in chains to make sure you're not clipping within the plugins themselves.

Sorry to be nit-picky Dave, what you said is spot-on except I think you meant 'hi-pass', not 'low-pass'. Low-pass reduces high frequencies and lets low frequencies through.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    dappa1
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/01 13:11:51 (permalink)
    Thank you for the advice so far...just to other musics it sounds like im missing somewhere but I know how technical you guys can be (picky) so again thanks for the reviews...Bitflipper good to see you and Jamesg still here. Dwardzala I will definitely look into that as I am not well versed in what elements to use first.

Bitflipper I am using KRK VXT6 however the bass never seems to come through with them and that is why I am struggling in that area, unless with the VXT series its about getting the tone of the bass rather than hearing the bass. I will have to look into that to see if I can make that sound right. I wonder if anyone else is using the VXT6's and wonder how they are coping with the bass element of mixing?

Sonar X series 

Nothing beats the best!
    dwardzala
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/01 13:34:23 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    dwardzala

You might have too much energy building up in certain areas of the frequency spectrum that are consuming your headroom (low frequencies are usually the culprit here - try to low pass stuff out of your tracks.)

Yeah, thanks for catching that.

Sorry to be nit-picky Dave, what you said is spot-on except I think you meant 'hi-pass', not 'low-pass'. Low-pass reduces high frequencies and lets low frequencies through.

Dave
    Win10 x64 Home

M-Box Mini v. 2
    Win 10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

dwardzala
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/01 13:40:23 (permalink)
    dappa1
    Thank you for the advice so far...just to other musics it sounds like im missing somewhere but I know how technical you guys can be (picky) so again thanks for the reviews...Bitflipper good to see you and Jamesg still here. Dwardzala I will definitely look into that as I am not well versed in what elements to use first.

Bitflipper I am using KRK VXT6 however the bass never seems to come through with them and that is why I am struggling in that area, unless with the VXT series its about getting the tone of the bass rather than hearing the bass. I will have to look into that to see if I can make that sound right. I wonder if anyone else is using the VXT6's and wonder how they are coping with the bass element of mixing?

It's probably less about your monitors and more about your room with respect to missing the bass.  This is a clear case for reference material.  Pick a song that is "similar" to the track you're trying to mix and listen to it and try to "match" (I know not a good word) the tonal characteristics.  I.E. if the bass is low on the reference track make it low on your track too.  A spectrum analyzer can help too.

Also, check you mixes on other systems, (car perhaps?) to see what you really hear.

Dave
    Win10 x64 Home

M-Box Mini v. 2
    Win 10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/01 14:59:42 (permalink)
    Great stuff Bit! I agree with the others on it likely being the room. Long ago I began A/Bing my room with my KRK headphones and with the advent of Sonarworks and their krk profiling, I've between able to achieve far better playable mixes.

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    dappa1
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/01 15:08:56 (permalink)
    Vastman the bss on the VXT6 seems to be missing or very very flat when I fatten up the kick drum and bass it sounds a bit more round. With out Sonarworks was you able to get good bass in your mix.

Sonar X series 

Nothing beats the best!
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/02 08:40:57 (permalink)
    A 6-inch woofer is always going to fall short of filling the entire audio spectrum, due to the unavoidable physics of speaker size versus the wavelengths of very low frequencies. However, that needn't be a showstopper.

One of the reasons 6" and 6.5" nearfields are so widely used is that many people prefer to mix without the distraction of those frequencies. Bear in mind that the lower your speakers go, the more problematic your room becomes. Large speakers can even cause the opposite problem of too little bass in your mix, because they'll excite low-frequency resonances in your room that'll make the bass sound muddy to you, and you'll turn the bass down in an attempt to mitigate boominess caused by acoustics.

Fortunately, we're talking about a range of frequencies that, except in specific circumstances, simply aren't needed. There is nothing musical happening down there, and most people who'll listen to your tunes won't have the equipment to reproduce those frequencies. They can just go away. And you don't need to be able to hear them to discard them - a spectrum analyzer is all you need.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/03 10:29:03 (permalink)
    the problem with mixing too loud PRE mastering,
    is that in the end,
    it all ends up sounding a bit 'crunchy', and unless you have stellar metering,
    you have probably added a lot of clipping and near misses,
    which in the long run, especially listening to more than one song in a row (like on an album), will lead to ear fatigue,
    without fail,
    every time.

mix you levels lower.

get your volume with mastering.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Sheanes
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 684
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/03 22:25:35 (permalink)
    agree with Batsbrew..
    Used to fight (and loose) to get a mix loud...guess it takes mastering skills (and gear/software) to get a mix loud while still sounding good.
    But don't let that make you feel bad, the stuff you compare it against is probably mastered.
    If you can get a mix to sound great peaking at fe -5 or 6 db, you're done and completed a proffesional mix.
    Mixing is about sound, volume is a part of mastering like Batsbrew wrote.

My monitors have plenty bass, but sitting in front of them I don't hear it really.  From the other end of the room facing the speakers sideways, I get a better idea of my bass level.
    Most monitors are not ideal to hear the tone/sound of your bass, I'd try headphones at a low volume for that.
    Why not try to learn your KRK's better, would be my advise...a/b your mix with a reference song you know well.
    To get a very good setup for monitoring bass (volume and tone) would cost you expensive speakers and a well treated room.
    And then you'd still need to check your mix made on highend / audiophile stuff is ok on consumers playback gear so your KRK's would be handy then.

post edited by Sheanes - 2016/10/03 23:14:20
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/04 18:53:49 (permalink)
    what I have been hearing (internet) is that the loudness wars are over.
    It appears that any music placed on any of the streaming sites is normalized to their particular level. 
    So, is an extra 2 db worth it? 

Granted, my view is based around my perception that CDs and any other physical media is pretty much dead.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/06 01:43:35 (permalink)
    timidi
    what I have been hearing (internet) is that the loudness wars are over.
    It appears that any music placed on any of the streaming sites is normalized to their particular level. 
    So, is an extra 2 db worth it? 

normalization is not the same as mastering to obtain a louder mix.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/06 10:56:50 (permalink)
    but yes,
    if sites are typically doing 'normalization', the point remains that you don't need a 'hot' master to compete with the streaming.

this really is more driven by professional releases that have awesome masters that sound great and are still super hot.

put in a playlist on somebody's personal device, those particular songs, especially in shuffle, will just kick everything elses's ass with volume,
    then it boils down to how good the mastering really was.

there are some hot pro masters out there that are able to get a super clean but super loud refined sound,
    and that kinda sets the bar pretty high.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Chandler
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/06 21:17:38 (permalink)
    I can understand not wanting to be 12db lower than everyone else, but IMO in the age of YouTube and streaming services it might be better to just make it as loud as the song can get without destroying it. Trying to get it as loud as pro mixes is hard and will most likely cause you to destroy your mix if you don't know what you're doing.

Also, did the loudness wars even work. I know people perceive louder as better, but I grew up in a time when the loudness wars were taking off and I often listened to older music and I don't remember disliking it. I just used my volume knob if the difference was too great.

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
    My Youtube page
    Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1117
    Re: My mixes sound LOUD 2016/10/06 21:38:18 (permalink)
    Bob (Katz) declared the loudness wars as over.
    http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/end-loudness-war

I came from a background (classical) where the more dynamics and rubato the better.  But I appreciate all types of music and styles.  So the key is to fit in with the particular expectations of the genre. 

To the OP: you can give LANDR a try for comparison, previews are free and the uploader is available from SONAR, they're constantly updating it for better detection of genres and such. 

Funny that you mention the volume knob, there's a science behind that and it's part of replay gain.  There are level balancing standards in place by several streaming sites in effect so if something is totally squashed it could get turned down to have a comparable volume with something that's more dynamic.  Matching on perceived loudness.  So if you push too far, the result when aired may sound worse than if it were left a little more open.  Of course it varies depending on who's using what standard to play it, etc.

Something personally I've seen you may find useful... There's some videos by Ian Shepherd with various tips.  What's useful is the techniques he's using to A/B things.  Some of that can be applied to any platform when you understand how to properly level match things for A/B comparisons.
    It's easy to think one thing sounds better because it happens to be a few dB louder. 
    https://www.youtube.com/c...MFrnWIF6N5YtOZzmCGP16A

Keith
    post edited by Keith Albright [Cakewalk] - 2016/10/06 22:17:40

Keith
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1