My most ambitious video so far...

Author
PJH
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 599
2014/07/31 11:10:44 (permalink)

My most ambitious video so far...

Hi everyone,

I've just finished the fifth video for my "Making of" DVD. The videos were shot during the recording of my latest solo album and this is the final song. The only things that still need to be filmed are the interviews.

It's by far the most ambitious video as there were a lot of instrument parts to cover. The track also runs for about 8 minutes and is the title track of the album.

I played the guitars, keyboards and bass and a friend, Larry Rose played drums and percussion. The music is very much in the Alan Parsons, Camel type of style.

The track was recorded in SONAR X2 and finished off in X3. It was mastered in Adobe Audition.

Hope you enjoy,

Cheers,

Peter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdVnL-CxtJ8&list=UUVpiiM9h1LvKhKjTBCL6YBg

26 Replies Related Threads

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/07/31 11:22:59 (permalink)
    PJH- Wow. The musicianship is stunningly good and the video is, I think, a great way to get an idea of the band playing. I can't find anything wrong with it at all. Thanks for sharing! The only artistic decision I might have made differently would have been to weave video images of a theme around the playing and fade this in and out, still though, it's interesting to put a face on those sounds!

Great job!!! 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

jude77
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/07/31 22:27:55 (permalink)
    Wow!!  Pro-level at all points!!  Great, great writing, arranging and playing.  A++
    PJH
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/01 03:31:17 (permalink)
    Thanks, Starise and Jude. Your comments are much appreciated.

I'm glad you enjoyed the music.

Cheers,

Peter.
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/01 08:30:40 (permalink)
    Nice track Peter, definitely has an Andy Latimer/Camel vibe to it. I like the way you kept the acoustic guitar present even when the 'power' came in. very tasty guitar work and good strong melodies.

The video is very well lit, shot and edited, however for this length of track it needs something else visually to break up the 'band' shots in my opinion. If I'm honest I stopped watching at around 5 mins in.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    HELLYA
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/01 09:01:35 (permalink)
    A+...nice vid...cool song

Laptop Intel i3-2330M 2.20ghz RAM;6.00 GO
    Windows 7 64 bit

Sonar X1-X2-X3 Producer all 64 bit
    Toontrack Superior Drummer, DKFH,
    EZ Mix
    Spectrasonics Trillian
    IK multimedia Amplitube Metal
    Guitar rig 5
    TH2 Overloud

sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/01 09:34:26 (permalink)
    Great song, great vid.  Nice work for sure!

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    PJH
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/01 10:25:33 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    Nice track Peter, definitely has an Andy Latimer/Camel vibe to it. I like the way you kept the acoustic guitar present even when the 'power' came in. very tasty guitar work and good strong melodies.

The video is very well lit, shot and edited, however for this length of track it needs something else visually to break up the 'band' shots in my opinion. If I'm honest I stopped watching at around 5 mins in.

Thanks for the comments, James. Yes, I do hear what you're saying. The purpose of the video was more a "documentary" type of video which will form part of a "making of DVD" so I wasn't too concerned about the length etc.
    Hopefully the interviews etc will break it up.

Hellya and Sven, thanks for watching and for your comments.

Much appreciated.

Cheers.
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/02 12:56:18 (permalink)
    Nice track well played and captured nothing here to crit musically though like James and others I did not really watch the video.

Thanks for sharing  

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/02 15:55:35 (permalink)
    Wow is right! Good luck on this!!!!!!

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/02 18:59:19 (permalink)
    Nicely done and great playing.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    chasmcg
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/02 19:57:40 (permalink)
    Great all the way around. Sounds and looks great.

chasmcg

Windows  10 64 bit - Intel Core I7 7700T - Cakewalk by Bandlab - Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB  - 16 GB Mem DDR4

“The desire for fame is the last infirmity cast off even by the wise” - Tacitus
    PJH
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/04 03:18:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening guys.

@bayoubill thanks for the wishes. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter.
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/04 20:56:07 (permalink)
    Other than the beginning, 4:40 and again at the end, I thought the acoustic was out of place. During the times mentioned, it was very nice. This is subjective though.

I thought this was a great bit of work and I kept thinking of Gordon Lightfoot throughout.

Very well done! 

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/04 21:14:28 (permalink)
    I thought it was very good recording wize, video and especially the production.  Being honest, it's the musical production and steller recording, that saves the day with this.  Not that the song needs saving, but all the musician shots show elementary skills on the instruments.  Don't get me wrong... a *Vai* flurry of notes isn't called for.... as this tune doesn't even call for that.  Maybe some of the acoustic or lead gtr licks could be a little bit more *techie* for a lack of words.  Even Gilmore will bend a note just perfectly... that he somehow gets away with nice, graceful melody lines, skipping all the VHalen riffing.

IOW words, I know you have musical skills better than what is shown, because of the final product for proof.  But as another musician (your hardest listener!), the chops need to be inserted somewhere, other than just showing a bass player hitting roots on one string.

To your credit, the recording work is awesome-ly good.  Great job  ;-)

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

PJH
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/06 11:06:22 (permalink)
    mixmkr
    I thought it was very good recording wize, video and especially the production.  Being honest, it's the musical production and steller recording, that saves the day with this.  Not that the song needs saving, but all the musician shots show elementary skills on the instruments.  Don't get me wrong... a *Vai* flurry of notes isn't called for.... as this tune doesn't even call for that.  Maybe some of the acoustic or lead gtr licks could be a little bit more *techie* for a lack of words.  Even Gilmore will bend a note just perfectly... that he somehow gets away with nice, graceful melody lines, skipping all the VHalen riffing.

IOW words, I know you have musical skills better than what is shown, because of the final product for proof.  But as another musician (your hardest listener!), the chops need to be inserted somewhere, other than just showing a bass player hitting roots on one string.

To your credit, the recording work is awesome-ly good.  Great job  ;-)

Wow! Elementary skills. Bit harsh I reckon.

It's interesting that according to the majority of people that purchase my albums they seem to enjoy the fact that it's not one of those "techie" albums made for guitarists.

When I write a piece of music, it's always the melody that comes first and foremost. Especially with an instrumental album if one gets too self indulgent you will immediately lose the listener and boredom sets in. I want the melody to stay long after the song is finished.

It's also the reason that I alternate between using acoustic, nylon string and electric guitars to get that melody across. Personally I detest a guitar player "showing off" his chops at the expense of the music.

In this day and age you want to be as accessible to as many people out there as possible.

The bass player just hitting the root on one string is what the song required. The video documented that element.

I appreciate the comments on the recording and the production.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

@guitarpima, thanks for the comments and for watching the video. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter.
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/06 13:31:15 (permalink)
    If this is elementary, then I'm still in kindergarten.  I appreciate that you don't overplay this song, as we get enough of that all over the place.  I've enjoyed all your videos, so far, and this is quite in tune with your past vids.  Perhaps a conceptual video might be in line for your next production, but this works for me.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    mixmkr
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/06 17:12:54 (permalink)
    my apologies if I sounded harsh.  Certainly not my intentions.  I thought EVERYTHING was exceptional, with the exception of showing a little bit of "chops"... and also noted that this tune does NOT need flashy playing to come across as enjoyable.  
    The only thing I can offer as a target to shoot for would be a player like Jeff Beck (in the Ronnie Scott Youtube videos).  In those he does NOT overplay, as well as Tal on bass guitar.  But you get a solid feeling that there's hours and hours of playing behind those precisely chosen notes.  I also noted that with Gilmore in my previous post.
    Again...I apologize and probably did not choose my words wisely using "elementary".... but the actual performances were in my opinion, the easy part of the total production on the whole. I am NOT advocating that playing something difficult equals quality, but tried to express my statement with the Jeff Beck analogy.  He certainly isn't flashy, but many consider him to be one of the best guitar players.  How can you tell??   By just a certain "feel" you get by watching him play and others like him.  In your non-flashy performances, I was not getting that same *feel*...even if you felt those parts were best for the song.

Again, please re-read my comment and take out the mis-used word "elementary"...and I think you might understand what I am trying to say and help with some constructive critisizm.

BTW, I'm not a flashy player either...mainly probably because I can't really do it well.  So I concentrate on doing what I can do...the best I can.  I think that's a secret for players like Clapton, Beck, Gilmore, BB King, etc... great players that don't rely on flashy 64th note bombardments.

StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44

doncolga
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1519
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/06 18:45:13 (permalink)
    Very nice man.  I have no clue on where to start making a video...as far as syncing up the video and audio?  Any resource you could point us to?

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/06 19:36:52 (permalink)
    nice work. Music sounds good, video looks good, nice collection of instruments.... what's lacking?  Not much really.

Good job.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mixmkr
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/06 19:38:31 (permalink)
    doncolga
    Very nice man.  I have no clue on where to start making a video...as far as syncing up the video and audio?  Any resource you could point us to?

I would dig in with a video program like Vegas or Movie Studio (by Sony also) and get comfortable with that.  Sonar although it can do video, is not an editing program.  Therefore I have found it easier to edit with another program, but do all the audio in Sonar, which it excels at.  Then, there are ways to sync the two together, when you combine them.  For instance, your video that you shoot might have audio from the onboard camera mic, but the audio is substandard.  BUT, that gives you at least an audio track to "sync" your better audio to, when you fly it into your video editing program, from a program like Sonar.  There are other ways, but that seems to be one of the more common. 
    IOW, either do the audio later or record it separate of the video, but at the same time.

PJH
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/07 04:32:39 (permalink)
    doncolga

@mixmkr, no problem. I do understand where you're coming from.

@Guitarhacker, thanks for watching and for your comments.

Thanks for the comments, Doncolga.

I use Sony Vegas for the editing and various 3D programmes for the titling etc.

Your onboard camera sound would be your guide to "synch" with the original soundtrack that you recorded in SONAR.

What you will find when trying to synch your shots to the original soundtrack is that the video footage will probably be a few frames "behind" the original audio. That's because the onboard camera mic is a bit further from the instrument that you're filming. It's really easy to line things up though once you get the hang of it.

The biggest pain is trying to film and record takes at the same time. Having someone to help is a massive bonus. You could also try "miming" the parts once you've recorded them but obviously you need to be spot on with everything. Nothing worse than watching a video that is badly mimed. Normally the most difficult instrument to film mimed parts are the drums. To try and expect a drummer to remember every fill is virtually impossible.

I've also installed some LED coloured lighting in the studio to help enhance the overall mood.

Making videos of your tracks can be tremendous fun and opens up a whole new world of creativity.

Cheers.
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/12 15:19:03 (permalink)
    Nice job all around.   Solid playing, sounds great, video looks good.   Yeah, I think it's a little long for where the song goes, but given the purpose of the video it makes sense. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/12 20:53:54 (permalink)
    Very nice indeed.  The song itself shows some good playing and the mix sound very great.  I too like the way that the acoustic guitar kept making an appearance throughout the song.  The video also looks very good  -- it shows some nice clean cuts.
    Great job.
    PJH
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/13 13:05:19 (permalink)
    Thanks, Steve and Freddy. Your comments are much appreciated.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Peter.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/13 14:41:22 (permalink)
    Very nice.
    I think some motion might be the missing element to keep people engaged in the video. Note that even in documentaries using still shots, panning and zoom can be effectively used to maintain interest.
    I realize you are using stationary cameras, but this can be done easily in post production with contemporary software.
    A little movement would go a long way in taking the video side to awesome. The song holds its own.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    PJH
    Re: My most ambitious video so far... 2014/08/14 16:10:56 (permalink)
    RobertB
    Very nice.
    I think some motion might be the missing element to keep people engaged in the video. Note that even in documentaries using still shots, panning and zoom can be effectively used to maintain interest.
    I realize you are using stationary cameras, but this can be done easily in post production with contemporary software.
    A little movement would go a long way in taking the video side to awesome. The song holds its own.

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and for watching, Robert. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Cheers,

Peter.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1