My new RME UCX ....a few questions

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Gaffpro
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 792
2012/03/27 18:33:25 (permalink)

My new RME UCX ....a few questions

I'm listening to the DA side of this UCX....some tunes I previously cut in X1 with my Delta 66....ran line 1 and 2 out from the UCX into my monitors....I honestly don't hear any more clarity on the songs from the UCX compared to the line outs on the Delta......I'm going to cut a tune tonight using the UCX from the get go, but..........I'm a little disturbed because I expected a dramatic difference in the converters......can anyone help advise me on this? Thanks

Dell Studio XPS intel i7860, 8 gigs dual ram, Sonar X2 (x64), Windows 7

RME UCX     Yamaha NS10, Equator D5, JBL LSR 2325 monitors
Vintech X73i, Great River ME-1NV, Joe Meek VC3Q preamps
RNC 1773, DBX 163x, Joe Meek VC3Q compressors
DBX 263x deesser
Neumann U87, TLM 103, AKG 214, CAD E100s 
Peluso 2247SE 
AT4050 and 4051
Shure KSM27, SM7, SM57, and UnidyneIII (from the 60's)
Other assorted mikes

31 Replies Related Threads

Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/27 18:41:58 (permalink)
    Yeah it is pretty simple. There wont be a dramatic difference int he sound from the converters.

There me be a tiny but, but dramatic? Not even close.

Lance

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Gaffpro
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/27 19:36:22 (permalink)
    Thanks.......anyone have a UCX or even a UFX that can clue me in on this? I have alot of quality mikes and preamps and thought the weak link was the Delta 66....I would think a $1300 interface would blow the doors off of a $200 Delta 66, but right now I'm not hearing it

DBX 263x deesser
    Peluso 2247SE 
    AT4050 and 4051
    Other assorted mikes
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/27 20:35:18 (permalink)
    Do you have the latest drivers? Have you visited the RME forum? Is there something wrong with your hearing? I would surmise that they are better and so are the drivers.

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/27 21:06:24 (permalink)
    So far, it seems you're only dealing with 50% of the equation. I don't know if the other 50% will bring satisfaction, but, let us know.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Gaffpro
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/27 22:03:13 (permalink)
    I'm going to check the forum.....I'll work with this for a week and let you know the outcome....the AD has GOT to be miles above Delta converters that are 10 years old........I really wanted an Apollo, but didn't want to wait for Windows drivers in the summer.....as far as hearing, don't think that's the issue, but you never know, lol....which is why I'd like to get opinions on the UCX converter quality

DBX 263x deesser
    Peluso 2247SE 
    AT4050 and 4051
    Other assorted mikes
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/27 22:26:22 (permalink)
    this kind of underscores my belief, about modern decent convertors versus 'low-midrange' convertors...and the audio quality.

i use a Maudio Audiophile 192 card, and honestly, it's convertors sound as good to me, as the local studio's $2000 range convertors that i've used, and a whole sundry of other offerings i've used (alesis hd24, maudio project mix I/O, apogee rosetta, etc)

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/27 22:27:24 (permalink)
    of course, i have ringing ears, so what do i know

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

spacealf
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/28 09:30:56 (permalink)
    From what I have read over there at the other forum, it is not so much the convertors, that define everything you may hear, it is the rest of it. Cheaper convertors in cheaper soundcards, use the program (programmers) that come with the chip, and you get what you get and they (the audio/interface manufacturers) do not change that. Thus you get drop-outs, jitters, other things that do not help the sound at all. With RME, you get their program which they put into the chip and thus the USB, and jitters, and anything else, is the lowest you can get plus they can upgrade their chips they use with their programming anytime they want to make the firmware and drivers even better and even add things that other manufacturers can not do, since the program they are using came with the chip they are using. That is why it all works better in the end with RME. But it is there on the forum and with reviews and anything else over there including explanations of it all.

spacealf
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/28 09:37:04 (permalink)
    But I only own the Babyface, and the rest is why other audio/interfaces are cheaper in the end and may not work as good because with the drivers and the firmware unchangable they can not make it better or even add anything the customer may want if RME can do that (because some requests just can not be done without added costs that would develop with the hardware of RME). And considereing the time RME takes to help their customers vs. other manufacturers makes sure that the customer feels better and knows more about what is going on with the hardware than other audio/interfaces may be willing to tell about their hardware and anything else like that. Yes, it is better then because it all works better with RME.

Gaffpro
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/28 15:17:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for your comments....I did call Jeff @ RME in Ft. Laud. and he was very helpful with the install....I read the manual cover to cover and totalmix is obviously a wonderful feature.......but I really don't hear a difference at this point.....I was thinking last night, I'd probably be happier with the Roland Octacapture as it has more mike inputs for my preamps and I don't really need totalmix anyway.....I'm going to run some things through the AD side today.....I was looking for more clarity for my mixes, I even ordered Dynauadio monitors which are $400 a piece (a step up from my JBL LSR's).......

DBX 263x deesser
    Peluso 2247SE 
    AT4050 and 4051
    Other assorted mikes
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/28 15:24:35 (permalink)
    Looks like you're weeding out the snake oil ;)

That being said, drivers to engineering, the RME stuff is indeed top notch.

Lance

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/28 15:33:32 (permalink)
    Well, first, you are missing half the equation w/ AD.  But even with that there is not going to be a dramatic difference in tone - it is a matter of degrees not kind.  And a lot of the tone will get lost if you don't have montiors that show very sublte differences and a room that can handle it.  Once you get everything else in the chain top notch you might hear a difference, if your ears are up to it (and yes, virginia, it takes time to develop those to hear the subleties).

So no, I don't think anyone is going to buy a new convertor and be magically blown away.  I could hear a little difference between my TC Konnekt unit and my old FirePod when I replaced it, but it wasn't like night and day.  After a while I appreciated it, and I can hear the difference between old recordings and newer ones.  Some of it is just my ear, some of it is the equipment.  So just because it doesn't hit you over the head doesn't mean it is worthwhile to upgrade, esp. if you have other reasons than just the convertors.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/28 15:56:51 (permalink)
    doesn't mean it is worthwhile to upgrade, esp. if you have other reasons than just the convertors. 

Do you mean "doesn't mean it ISNT worthwhile to upgrade, esp. if you have other reasons than just the convertors"?

Lance

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    Gaffpro
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/28 16:31:00 (permalink)
    I know RME is king when it comes to drivers and I'm certainly not questioning their engineering........there were features that I liked about the UCX, but the main reason was to upgrade to better converters...

AT, I agree with you on the monitors, which is why I'm getting Dynaudios and ditching my JBL LSR's (although I've had a pair of NS10's for 25 years and I still use them).........these are the same monitors used in a Nashville studio that I'm a part of.....I guess it's trial and error...thanks

DBX 263x deesser
    Peluso 2247SE 
    AT4050 and 4051
    Other assorted mikes
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/28 16:36:35 (permalink)
    Well, first, you are missing half the equation w/ AD.

Yeah, This was the first thing that came to my mind.
    The A/D (and especially the noise-floor) on the UCX is definitely better.
    The A/D by itself won't be a night vs. day difference... but it is better.
    The noise-floor is significantly lower with the UCX.  Multiply that over 24-48 simultaneous tracks of audio... and that's where you'll hear a much more "dramatic" difference.
    It'll be like lifting a veil off your mix...

Playing existing recordings thru the UCX's D/A... it isn't surprising that you're not hearing a major difference.
    You're playing audio captured with the older A/D (including higher noise-floor) thru the newer/better D/A.
    The new D/A won't impart what's not captured in the the original audio. 
    FWIW, This is a scenario where you'd hear the least amount of difference.

As a test, record 48 solid tracks of audio (just the noise-floor) of both the Delta and the UCX.
    Sum the result of each... and measure the average level of the (48-track) noise-floor.
    There will be a difference.  That is what you're paying for...  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    spacealf
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/28 16:56:15 (permalink)
    I am not a fanboy of any manufacturer, each has their own way of building electronics and even synths. I use Roland Synths because they are available and I am not in a place where I can listen in big store and go back and forth except now there is a GC in town, but.....................there are many manufacturers so it all turns out about the same.

A post you may have missed over there, just copied so perhaps it will be allowed:

As for "misleading", let me quote what you could have read in the manual of the UCX:

"The term Zero Latency Monitoring has been introduced by RME in 1998 for the DIGI96 series
    of audio cards. It stands for the ability to pass-through the computer's input signal at the inter-
    face directly to the output. Since then, the idea behind has become one of the most important
    features of modern hard disk recording. In the year 2000, RME published two ground-breaking
    Tech Infos on the topics Low Latency Background, which are still up-to-date: Monitoring, ZLM
    and ASIO, and Buffer and Latency Jitter, both found on the RME website.

How much Zero is Zero?
    From a technical view there is no zero. Even the analog pass-through is subject to phase er-
    rors,  equalling  a  delay  between  input  and  output.  However,  delays  below  certain  values  can
    subjectively be claimed to be a zero-latency. This applies to analog routing and mixing, and in
    our opinion also to RME's Zero Latency Monitoring. The term describes the digital path of the
    audio data from the input of the interface to its output. The digital receiver of the Fireface UCX
    can't  operate  un-buffered,  and  together  with  TotalMix  and  the  output  via  the  transmitter,  it
    causes a typical delay of 3 samples. At 44.1 kHz this equals about 68 µs (0.000068 s), at 192
    kHz only 15 µs. The delay is valid for ADAT and SPDIF in the same way.

Oversampling
    While the delays of digital interfaces can be disregarded altogether, the analog inputs and out-
    puts do cause a significant delay. Modern converter chips operate with 64 or 128 times over-
    sampling plus digital filtering, in order to move the error-prone analog filters away from the au-
    dible frequency range as far as possible. This typically generates a delay of one millisecond. A
    playback and re-record of the same signal via DA and AD (loopback) then causes an offset of
    the newly recorded track of about 2 ms.

Low Latency!
    The Fireface UCX uses the latest AD converters having an innovative digital filter with a delay of
    only 14 samples in Single and Double Speed, and 11 samples in Quad Speed. The DA con-
    verter  even  exceeds  these  astonishing  values  with  only  7  samples  delay  in  all  modes.  (...)

Note that the total roundtrip delay of the unit from A to A will be a few samples higher. TotalMix
    FX causes an additional delay of typically 3 samples as it stays always within the audio path. "

Regards
    Daniel Fuchs
    RME

So each manufacturer is going to have their sells pitch and you usually get what you pay for. Pay more, you get more, and that is the usual way it is. There may not be all that much difference in the end that can be heard, but if you can hear it, it may be more pleasing to work with the equipment for longer periods of time. If I had more money, I am sure I have more audio/interfaces to use or even try and I am sure some studios go through and change equipment off and on and try different equipment out. I am not in a position to do that.

Compared to what I had before, there is much difference in the Babyface compared to what I had before, quite a bit of difference. Whether any of it is needed is then decided by what was out at the time (Octacapture I am sure came out afterwards) and when it is bought.

There usually are some musicians you like and then there are others you will just put up with, and then some musicians you can not fathom why they recorded anything in the first place.

In the end though to me, I am usually just a comedian playing music.

spacealf
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/28 17:49:31 (permalink)
    Oh, the short version. I guess I never have just plugged in a mic to my Babyface directly, except once to do a test that just proved that the other mic a person was using was not working correctly since the gain was so high up on it. I always end up going through other equipment first with the mic and then into the Analog 1 and 2 inputs.

Gaffpro
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/29 14:04:13 (permalink)
    Ok Jim and spacealf: I appreciate your comments, thanks

DBX 263x deesser
    Peluso 2247SE 
    AT4050 and 4051
    Other assorted mikes
    Houndawg
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/29 14:54:00 (permalink)
    Report back when you get your Dynaudio monitors and what you think of them. I have the BM5A models myself, and absolutely love them (after having listened to, owned, and used quite a few different monitors in the past). As to whether or not they are "better" than your current monitors is for you to decide, but they will certainly be "different" and hopefully in a positive way. [Monitoring environment and its treatment or lack thereof is of course a major consideration as well]

I also agree with the others who have posted that the real difference in audio quality with the new RME interface will reveal itself in new recordings, taking advantage of RME's excellent converters and stable digital clock.

I don't use an RME interface myself (would like to), but so far I haven't had a good reason to replace my LynxTWO-B. However, I've personally experienced several of my clients from years past upgrade to the RME Fireface 800 from whatever interface and claim a significant improvement in audio quality. Now is that because they just spent a good amount of money and REALLY want to hear an improvement? Hard to know for certain. But I have NEVER encountered anyone who thought their RME interface didn't sound great or perform reliably, and I still recommend RME or Lynx as the best of the best. [Although I'm very curious to see how well the new Universal Audio Apollo compares]
    Gaffpro
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/29 15:13:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply........I haven't gotten the Dynaudios yet (they are the BM5A MkII model) ....will post my thoughts on those....should be a no brainer as I've already heard these during pro mixing sessions.....

I'm going to stick with the UCX and in hindsight, I shouldn't have jumped the gun on this piece.......I'll cut something with acoustic guitars, bass, Superior Drummer, vocals, etc. and let everyone know my thoughts...I'm sure I'll be happy

BTW: Your Lynx is a nice card

DBX 263x deesser
    Peluso 2247SE 
    AT4050 and 4051
    Other assorted mikes
    batsbrew
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/29 15:15:44 (permalink)
     Multiply that over 24-48 simultaneous tracks of audio... and that's where you'll hear a much more "dramatic" difference.  

BINGO.

you wont hear the difference (or barely hear it) with low end to mid grade converters listening to a single track, and a/b'ing it.

but you WILL hear the difference with greater numbers of tracks being mixed together, as the collective 'sonic fingerprint' of the unit you are using, adds up.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/29 15:20:28 (permalink)
    You won't notice anything by running a stereo mix through the D/A of the RME. You're still listening to material recorded with your Delta converters. You may not notice anything different with a $5000 converter either by doing this.

You will notice a difference on a new project with multiple tracks recorded through the RME. Good converters/bad converters make themselves apparent with multiple tracks. Once you have, say - 20 tracks to mix that were all fed throught the A/D converters, that's when the difference of using better converters will show up. It still may be a subtle difference...but it could be dramatic. It'll depend on how good/bad the Delta A/D is you're comparing to.
    batsbrew
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/29 18:02:58 (permalink)
    we're all saying the same thing.
    LOL

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Gaffpro
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/03/29 22:28:34 (permalink)
    Again, thanks guys........

DBX 263x deesser
    Peluso 2247SE 
    AT4050 and 4051
    Other assorted mikes
    Muziekschuur at home
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1442
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/04/03 11:32:01 (permalink)
    I upgraded from a Delta R-bus to a DIGI9652. It's in the drivers, stability by clock and when recording....
    Just breath and record with it. Just take that Great River a nice microphone and record a decent vocal line.... You'll hear it...

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum Windows 7 32bit & 64bit (dualboot) Gigabyte mobo Intel dual quad 9650 & 4GB Ram RME DIGI9636 & Tascam DM24.  M-audio Rbus & SI-24 Alesis Pro active 5.1 & Radford 90 transmissionline monitors. Roland RD-150 piano Edirol UM-880 & alesis fireport.
    Remote recording Alesis HD-24 & Phonic MRS 1-20.
    P.A. D&R Dayner 29-8-2 & behringer MX8000 (& racks)
    Rackpc Sonar Platinum with win10 AMD X6 1055T, 16GB Ram
     Dell inspiron 17R 6gb ram W10 two SSD's Sonar Plat.
    JohnRick
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/05/03 11:30:06 (permalink)
    I have the same CPU setup as GaffPro and was also thinking about upgrading to RME UCX. Don't know if it's worth it though? On my part I'm partly after the converters when recording with different musicians at home, but mostly the "significant" lower latency which RME are known to be kings of (as I record drums on a DTX900 via samplebanks for clients). Do you reach <3ms with your UCX there GaffPro? Still - it comes down to more than the interface in that regard...
    post edited by JohnRick - 2012/05/03 11:31:31

Gaffpro
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2012/05/03 14:26:21 (permalink)
    John: I can try that with the latency and let you know........I'm still monitoring with a Mackie hardware mixer and am auditioning 3 different sets of powered monitors right now. According to RME, the converters in the UCX are their top of the line, which is why I bought the item. It has enough ins and outs for my needs, although I could have gotten the UFX for $300 more at the time

DBX 263x deesser
    Peluso 2247SE 
    AT4050 and 4051
    Other assorted mikes
    Fabio Rubato
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 500
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2014/10/02 00:28:20 (permalink)
    I have a Roland Quad-Capture card which I upgraded from a Creative Elite-Pro and I could hear a difference in quality. I'm considering the UCX currently but I'm now thinking based on what's being said here that I'm not going to hear a great deal of difference, unless it get down to having heaps of sounds in the mix. It seems that some of guys are saying that's where an interface like UCX comes into its own.

I also don't have studio monitors at this point...I have pretty good quality Polkaudio speakers but I still have no idea what to buy that will give me the clarity I guess I'm chasing. So many studio monitors, so costly and no way to really try before you buy...I guess it's trial and error.

Gaffpro, I'd be interested to see how you go with the UCX and those Dynaudios yet (they are the BM5A MkII model) monitors you were getting.

Sonar: Platinum, (X3e) - x64 
    PC: Win10 Pro 64;
    Computer: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3; Intel i7, 2600k @ 4.2 (8 Cores); 16 GB Corsair Ram;
    Visual Card: Gigabyte GTX 580;
    Audio Interface: RME UFX;
    Monitors: Adam A77X, Sub8;
    Midi Controllers: Komplete Kontrol S88,  Novation Bass Station 2; NI Maschine Mk 2; 
    Other Hardware: Joe Meek Twin Q Dual Studio Channel;
    Mics: RODE NT2-A, ASTON Spirit 

Latest Song: Lay Down Before the War

Splat
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re:My new RME UCX ....a few questions 2014/10/02 00:38:07 (permalink)
    Fyi. Old thread alert (bumped from 2012).

(Not 2003 as I originally thought).

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1