My new sound card (2496)... has no synth?

Author
Locutus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2007/02/08 23:30:56 (permalink)

My new sound card (2496)... has no synth?

I just installed my new Audiophile 2496, but when I go to OPTIONS - MIDI DEVICES I only see

DELTA AP MIDI (which apparently just sends the data out to my keyboard)
Microsoft MIDI mapper (which apparently is not a real midi target at all (what is this for???))

Does anyone know if there are options for having this card actually interpret MIDI and create sounds?
Or will I have to use a soft synth in order to get sounds with this card?

16 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/08 23:48:07 (permalink)
    DELTA AP MIDI (which apparently just sends the data out to my keyboard)
    Microsoft MIDI mapper (which apparently is not a real midi target at all (what is this for???))

DELTA AP MIDI - don't know but if you have a keyboard connected and it sends data to the keyboard, then that must be it!

MS Midi mapper - is actually a way to send MIDI to the old joystick ports. It's basically useless and I really wish CW would just filter this one out to keep noobs from going bonkers on it.

sorry...no offense intended.

Does anyone know if there are options for having this card actually interpret MIDI and create sounds?
    Or will I have to use a soft synth in order to get sounds with this card?

The 2496 does not have embedded sound fonts like a Soundblaster card does, so yes, you will need to use softsynths to use MIDI. But even the EDIROL softsynth that comes with MC is 100% better than the sounds you get with the soundblaster card...so you're way better off.

In fact, none of the prosumer cards have embedded sound fonts. Use softsynths or samplers. they're much better anyway. (did I say that enough?)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Locutus
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/09 14:54:28 (permalink)
    Thanks much! I'll just use the soft synths...

Samplers though? I don't know anything about those. Can you give me a name of a sampler that works with MC that I could do some research on?
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/09 14:56:23 (permalink)
    This one is very nice
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/DimensionPro/default.asp

If you are looking for a list of synths free and otherwise
    http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=results&st=q&s=1
    post edited by scook - 2007/02/09 15:18:50
    sikejsudjek
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/11 06:39:21 (permalink)
    I have a soundblaster card and like some of the soundfonts. Can I add a better soundcard (eg emu 0404 pci) and keep the soundblaster without causing problems ?
    post edited by sikejsudjek - 2007/02/11 07:00:24
    benney
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/11 08:11:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sikejsudjek

I have a soundblaster card and like some of the soundfonts. Can I add a better soundcard (eg emu 0404 pci) and keep the soundblaster without causing problems ?

Don't feel you are limited to a soundfont compatible soundcard if you want to use soundfonts within your music because there are plenty of VST's and DXi's in the form of soundfont players and also samplers that also read soundfonts.
    I couldn't tell you if you could run the two soundcards alongside each other but I do have a suspicion that you would suffer conflicts between the two (maybe someone out there will know a little bit more on the subject)

Benney

Have fun in music.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/11 11:36:11 (permalink)
    sike,
    Benney is correct. The Soundblaster and the E-MU will take turns knocking each other out of the picture. I tried in vain to find a configuration, using hardware profiles, etc to make them work.
    For what it's worth, The Edirol VSC has the same General MIDI sound set that is embedded in your Soundblaster. Plus a few extras. In general they are as good or better.
    What you would gain with the E-MU0404 far outweighs the loss of the built-in soundfonts.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    sikejsudjek
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/11 13:12:18 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the info !

I've been using soundblaster live platinum but the oldish 16 bit version with the expansion board. I've got quite a few dxi/vst synths off the net loaded, but have some large soundfonts with one or two sounds I like. Can I still use these soundfonts using something like the freeware rgc sfz player ?

How much of an improvement does the 24 bit make over 16 bit ? Does the EMU 0404 pci mixer stuff work well with MC 3 ?
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/11 14:06:02 (permalink)
    The improvement of 24bit over 16bit won't necessarily be noticable to a beginner, but I always encourage everyone to use 24bit even from the start. The difference is resolution of the converted waveform. Sometimes this is difficult to explain in laymen's terms, but I'll use the catch phrase of the industry, "headroom." If you record in 16bit then you have less "headroom" than if you record in 24bit because each (vertical) bit of the wave is LARGER for the 16bit resolution, therefore the highest bit recorded for a given slice (a single sample) will stop at a different level than the 24bit recording's slice will. This may be very confusing to a non-technical person, but basically you get better noise floor and more headroom with 24bit, therefore you get better recordings.

The EMU0404 is leaps and bounds better than a Soundblaster or especially an onboard sound card. I have never used one myself, but judging from the questions folks have had here on the forums, I suspect that the soft mixer which you have to use with it to get the card to interact with MC is a little difficult to navigate, but once you get it set up you usually don't have to mess with it again. And there are fine folks here like Bob (RobertB) who know a lot about the 0404 and the patchmix program who are more than willing to spend time helping folks get their 0404 working with MC.

Thus an 0404 is near the top of my list for recommendations of a starter sound card!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    benney
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/11 14:28:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sikejsudjek

Thanks everyone for the info !

I've been using soundblaster live platinum but the oldish 16 bit version with the expansion board. I've got quite a few dxi/vst synths off the net loaded, but have some large soundfonts with one or two sounds I like. Can I still use these soundfonts using something like the freeware rgc sfz player ?

Yes you can... If you feel the soundfonts are too big you can use the soundblasters standard editor "Vienna" to edit them or if you decide to ditch the soundblaster, you can use a program called "Viena" (notice the spelling) which you can download from here. You have no real limit with the exeception of the standard CPU issue. The beauty about using VST's and DXi's to run soundfonts is that in some cases you can edit the soundfont in real time to create an even better sound via audio synthesis.

Benney

Have fun in music.
    sikejsudjek
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/11 15:22:32 (permalink)
    Again thanks for the info. Looks like it would be a good buy.
    benney
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/11 15:30:14 (permalink)
    you're welcome

Benney

Have fun in music.
    RobertB
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/11 18:10:11 (permalink)
    Ditto.
    The mixer will work fine with MC3, and I have seen some great deals on this card recently.
    If you are recording mics or electric guitar, you will need some kind of preamp. I use a small Yamaha mixer with built in pre's. Check out your options at the music store. You have some workable choices for less that $100.
    If you get stumped on something, ask away.
    post edited by RobertB - 2007/02/11 18:35:11

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    switchdoc
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/11 22:04:00 (permalink)
    Nothing to add but a comment:

The more I read these forums, the more my head hurts.

That is all.

-- Switch

PS I think I just found my signature
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/11 23:49:34 (permalink)
    I used the 0404 for a year before upgrading to the 1820...more simultaneous inputs, better for a studio set up. I also use soundfonts, but I found the viena to be too cumbersome, so I use the sf2, very plain, straightforward. There are a lot of free soundfonts available, some are relatively large files, but worth the space on your machine. I have an extra drive installed to divide the work space, one for programs, the other for music data. The ling in my signature has examples of things I have done, all with either the 0404 or its big brother. And all of the keyboard sounds, rodes piano, hammond b3 organ, classical piano, etc., are free soundfonts. In some cases the drums are soundfonts, also, but some are from edirol. Don't think I can hear the difference at mp3 quality, but definately can tell at cd quality(16 bit 44,100hz)
    As far as the 24 to 16 bit comparison, beagle explained that quite well, but I think I can add that the higher bit rate helps when processing some vst effects, as well. You are giving the machine smaller peices of info to process, so it can produce more precise reverbs, echoes, and other effects.
    At least that is my understanding on the subject...more head room, cleaner effect processing.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    sikejsudjek
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/12 16:36:37 (permalink)
    Interesting - yes I hadn't thought of reverbs. As they tend to be quite quiet in the mix on some of the instruments, 16 bit must have some limitations especially when low levels of sound are sent to effects sends. A good example of how crap 16 bit can be is to crank up the volume on a quiet section of a classical music cd. Plenty of hiss and lack of detail ! With contempory music its obviously less of a problem as there are less quiet bits in the music.

I'm using a Marshall JMP-1 for guitar input, and a mixing panel, analogue alesis compressor and aphex exciter for vocals. I probably got away with decent sound quality on the soundblaster for the last project due to the compressed levels being quite high when they went into the computer. The biggest problems with sound quality I've had are the need to use dynamic mikes with certain vocals (ie me !) which cut through better than the more expensive mikes I have, and the irritating hum from single coil pickups - mittigated only by getting the right angle to the monitor and switching off any lights.

Having had a break from recording for several years while teaching guitar, its been great to see how much the 'budget' software has improved. Music Creator has been a joy to use, and my first project has been sold making a nice profit ! So far I've only managed to crash it twice in 6 months. The last audio software I used it was a miracle if it didn't crash !
    RobertB
    RE: My new sound card (2496)... has no synth? 2007/02/12 20:44:52 (permalink)
    Good deal. It looks like you have the external hardware covered. Go for it!

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1