My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions

Author
wineshop
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 185
2012/02/16 03:09:09 (permalink)

My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions

This is still a kinda of work on progress, but I'm digging the mix. Hope someone here does, too. I played guitars with a Godin, bass with a Variax bass ( set to "P" model) and used Superior Drummer.

I recorded a TON of vocal tracks, trying to get that 80's Def Leppard wall of vocals. There are 2 main guitar solos, the 1st I was thinking Phil Keaggy, the 2nd I was thinking Steve Lukather. So - I don't claim to play like them, but that is indeed who I was trying to emulate.

I really hope y'all enjoy this. But if not, please give me some feedback on how to improve the mix. Thank you so much!!! My wife said this is my best work, hope she's not just being nice!! Hope I don't have to go back and tell her the boys on the forum hated it!!!!

One thing I'll say - I have learned less is more. On this session, I barely used any comp or EQ. Most tracks are almost unaffected (and the comp just barely kicks in when it does.). I did use a lot of automation. I dunno - I just sort of kept it simple. Something I wish someone had told me a long time ago!!!! Other than volume and panning - not much more.

Thanks again.

My Song

14 Replies Related Threads

malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/16 06:55:01 (permalink)
    OK, your wife was not "just being nice"! Great song which held my attention throughout. I'll let others here much more competent than me deal with the mix which I suspect could do with just a little polish. Not quite sure why the acoustic guitar came in at the end? - although I really liked that short burst! Great work.

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/16 08:20:43 (permalink)
    It sounds good. And yes... very often less is more. Automation rules.  

I like the song. 

Something with the snare didn't set right with me...... couldn't quite put my finger on the exact issue.... maybe a bit to loud. nothing that's a deal stopper though.... 

nice playing. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/16 09:44:07 (permalink)
    Wineshot,
    I like the drums, vocals and background vocs are nice, guitar parts are very good.  Are you using Guitar Rig?  Guitars could sound bigger (not louder).  Like the breakdown.  Good job!

Rimshot   

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/16 10:26:24 (permalink)
    Great tunage. I usually don't care for christian rock because most don't get what Jesus had to say. He would rejoice in your song but he won't in christianity.

Great song and I think the accoustic should have started the song as well as ended it. It sounds out of place just at the end but if it starts with it, it would work very well.

Very well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/16 11:23:20 (permalink)
    You song is well done and well performed.  You got the wall of sound with the vocals down, and your guitar tracks sounds very good on my system.  The overall mix is so very close to being polished that I'm sure with just a few minor adjustments you'll be there.  Good luck.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    wineshop
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/16 13:56:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I appreciate y'all taking the time to listen to the whole song.

Are you using Guitar Rig?  Guitars could sound bigger (not louder).

I am using Guitar Rig 4. And I would love to make the guitars bigger, but I'm afraid I'm not sure how. I doubled them, used different amp settings and panned them about 45 degrees R and L. Slight compression and EQ just to make them blend. Any suggestions on what else I can do?

And as for the acoustic at the end - yeah, I can see where it kind of sticks out. But I originally did this song as an acoustic fingerstyle/ rock kinda thing. So friends and family are familiar with that version, so I thought I'd just throw it in to pay homage to the original. Not sure it works, though. I didn't really think about how odd it might sound to anyone not familiar with the original.
    DragonLips
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 133
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/16 15:43:05 (permalink)
    wineshop- some nice vocal layering going on here.  Well worth the hard work there!  Guitars are solid throughout, and I agree with Rim shot.  I think the guitars could be larger in the mix.  Some of the solo work is very interesting throughout as well. 

My small bit of criticism would be around the drums. The arrangement was solid, but sound of the kit is completely wrong for this song in my opinion.  The overall kit was much to "thin" sounding, and the snare has a think papery crack to it, with no wood or bottom to the sound.  It distract my ear from the overall size and scale of everything else on this song. You noted Superiod Drummer in your credits above, what collection are you using?  Original superior drummer, or Superior 2?  The good news is it's pretty easy to swap out that sound and experiment.

Overall, excellent job!

O/S Win 7 Pro x64
    MacBook Pro   
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k
    EVGA P67 SLI
    Memory, 16gb, DDR 3 @ 1866mhz
    WD Caviar SATA III drive (O/S) 
    Seagate 1TB , WD1.5TB SATA II 
    UAD 2 Solo (2) 
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
    Nvidia- 8800 GT
    Sonar X1D Expanded
    wineshop
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/16 16:12:24 (permalink)
    I did use Superior Drummer 2 (the Avatar kit). I do also have Addictive Drums and EZDrummer (with various expansion kits). I do admit - among my many mixing weaknesses, drums is a big one. I just don't "hear" what more experienced folks "hear". I will go back, and take a fresh look at the drumkit and see if I can find something a little more complimentary for this song.

I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and advise!! It's the only way I know of to get better!
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/16 17:47:09 (permalink)
    This is v good, great core melody. The drums really rock (the snare does seem a little loud, certainly at one of the higher frequencies), and those abba style vocals in places sounds amazing.Well done.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    wineshop
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/16 18:30:50 (permalink)
    Thanks, Cian. I appreciate the feedback. I've been sort of tweaking those drums a bit - nothing major. But hopefully the snare will sit a little better in the mix.

By the way, I went to your website. I really dig the music. Fingerprints, particularly. Then, Freakin Out is like a 180 degree turn!! Both well done.
    DragonLips
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 133
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/16 18:47:33 (permalink)
    Trying to remember, with Avatar- don't you have the option of the black beauty snare?  If it's there I would pop that bad boy on the kit and see if it doesn't open things up for you! 

O/S Win 7 Pro x64
    MacBook Pro   
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k
    EVGA P67 SLI
    Memory, 16gb, DDR 3 @ 1866mhz
    WD Caviar SATA III drive (O/S) 
    Seagate 1TB , WD1.5TB SATA II 
    UAD 2 Solo (2) 
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
    Nvidia- 8800 GT
    Sonar X1D Expanded
    wineshop
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/16 21:23:20 (permalink)
    Trying to remember, with Avatar- don't you have the option of the black beauty snare?

It does indeed! Gonna play with that tonight. Thanks!!
    congalocke
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 252
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/16 23:32:43 (permalink)
    wineshop, Nice arrangement here...The background vocals sound HUGE and are a lot of fun. Nice playing (tone is a tad "buzz saw" to my ears. a tad) but I think you really capture the euphoria of such an experience with the background vox arrangement especially. Way 2 Go! (my wife likes it to...) Peace conga
    wineshop
    Re:My newest song - would appreciate some suggestions 2012/02/17 01:02:21 (permalink)
    Thanks, conga! I really appreciate the feedback. I was definitely going for huge vocals - so I'm glad it gave you that impression. And I have sorta noticed the "buzz saw" guitar tone you referred to, also. I've kind of ignored it, but you noticing it may have just convinced me to dive a bit deeper into that lead tone.

Thanks again for listening and giving me some suggestions to ponder!!Oh - and I really am glad to hear your wife liked it, too. Please tell her "thank you".

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1