My studio flooded this morning

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Ron Vogel
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
2009/01/17 14:24:07 (permalink)

My studio flooded this morning

Woke up to the power off in my bedroom this morning. Didn't think much of it. Got up and went downstairs to make some coffee. I hear what sounded like loud radio static coming from our am/fm radio on the buffet in our dining room. Well, when I got closer I realized it was coming from inside the wall. I ran into the basement to find water cascading from the ceiling...went into my daw room and it had about an inch of water on the floor, and water was running down all the walls and dripping through the drywall in the ceiling. I ran to the water main and shut it off, then started pulling all my equipment out. All my guitars got wet, but they were just splashed on, and I just waxed all the electrics fortunately. I took all my electronic stuff out, and most of it stayed dry although I had a art tube pre on the floor that got pretty soaked and it may still work if it dries out. Ceiling is a write off, but looks like my equipment can be saved.

I had to cut open the ceiling, but I found the pipe that burst and already fixed it. Really sucks right now having a big issue like this and being unemployed. At first I thought it was going to be much worse, but it's looking up now that we have the water on again. Looks like this whole weekend is going to be us drying everything out down there!!!

I'll get some pics up later today.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
Ron Vogel Soundclick page

30 Replies Related Threads

thegeek
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/17 14:34:51 (permalink)
    Ouch!I hope everything works out ok for ya!
    spacey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/17 14:46:59 (permalink)
    Man Ron...kids, leak, unemployeed...you stay cool and keep that chin up...sending best wishes to you and yours.
    Remember as long as everybody is healthy the rest is "gravy".

Michael
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/17 14:51:55 (permalink)
    Soory to hear of your troubles, good luck

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Ron Vogel
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/17 15:04:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spacey

Man Ron...kids, leak, unemployeed...you stay cool and keep that chin up...sending best wishes to you and yours.
    Remember as long as everybody is healthy the rest is "gravy".

Michael

Yeah, it never ends around here. I have plenty of real-life issues to write music about.

I did a quick repair job for a guy in one of the car clubs I'm in earlier this week. He had no money to pay me with, but instead paid me in dubbage. Kind of worked out to be a good thing today!

Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/17 16:33:32 (permalink)
    Wow so sorry to hear that Ron. What a nightmare. Sounds like you caught it fairly early though. Here's hoping you recover quickly and easily. (With a little help from your dubbage!)
    post edited by Marah Mag - 2009/01/17 16:38:17
    AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/17 18:07:19 (permalink)
    Ron,

So sorry to hear about your troubles...glad some of it got sorted.

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/17 19:25:17 (permalink)
    Yikes, hope everything works after that!
    For any small electronics that got wet, here's a pretty reliable fix: put the pedal/etc. into a bowl of rice, completely submersing it. The rice will draw out any water without scratching the electronics (used to do this when i repaired cellphones for a living).

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Cromberger
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/17 20:21:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ron Vogel

Woke up to the power off in my bedroom this morning. Didn't think much of it. Got up and went downstairs to make some coffee. I hear what sounded like loud radio static coming from our am/fm radio on the buffet in our dining room. Well, when I got closer I realized it was coming from inside the wall. I ran into the basement to find water cascading from the ceiling...went into my daw room and it had about an inch of water on the floor, and water was running down all the walls and dripping through the drywall in the ceiling. I ran to the water main and shut it off, then started pulling all my equipment out. All my guitars got wet, but they were just splashed on, and I just waxed all the electrics fortunately. I took all my electronic stuff out, and most of it stayed dry although I had a art tube pre on the floor that got pretty soaked and it may still work if it dries out. Ceiling is a write off, but looks like my equipment can be saved.

I had to cut open the ceiling, but I found the pipe that burst and already fixed it. Really sucks right now having a big issue like this and being unemployed. At first I thought it was going to be much worse, but it's looking up now that we have the water on again. Looks like this whole weekend is going to be us drying everything out down there!!!

I'll get some pics up later today.

Hi, Ron,

Wow, what a horrifying experience. Hope it all works out for you in the best possible way. Sometimes it sure seems like the world conspires against us and kicks us when we're down. With both my wife and I out of work at the moment (and no relief in sight) I can sympathize with your situation. I drove into town on Wednesday and the transmission in our only car decided to go belly-up. Couldn't possibly have been a worse time for such a thing to happen. I try to take this sort of thing philosophically, but that's a lot easier said than done, as I'm sure you are fully aware. Hang in there and know that things will turn around at some point because they can't go down the drain forever.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Ron Vogel
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/17 20:23:14 (permalink)
    Well, I got all happy with the room since it's all emptied out now. I had carpeting over bare concrete in there. Since I now have a bunch of warped plywood in the basement now, and I figured the only way to flatten it out is screw it to 2x4s....So, I just picked up enough 2x4s to frame in a floating floor. At least something good will come of it!

SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/17 20:48:37 (permalink)
    Sorry to read about your nightmare, I had a flooded basement last year (water pipe burst in the basement), I was awake and first thought the washing machine was running (because of low water pressure and the sound of running water). A drain took most of the water but not enough to keep the ankles dry! Just bare arse concrete in my basement, no damage to anything. I don't have my studio setup in the basement because the room is a bit too small.

It must have been horrible what you experienced!! And to happen whilst you were sleeping is really bad timing. Potentially could have been worse. If that happened to me I would have had a freaking heart attack.

space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/17 22:23:30 (permalink)
    Hope no equipment was ruint in the process. Good luck.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/18 08:26:47 (permalink)
    Bummer. I feel for you Ron.

best,
    mike

Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/18 09:42:37 (permalink)
    Really sorry to hear about this Ron, hope it all works out well for you, sometimes you feel like you are being tested, and I guess sometimes we are

Regards

Garry Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/18 23:34:56 (permalink)
    So sorry to hear that, Ron! I'm glad it wasn't any worse! I hope your boys' tongues are healing up well too.
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/18 23:45:05 (permalink)
    Bummer, just make sure you open every peice of equipment and check to make sure it didn't catch any water through the cooling openings. The rice trick is nice ,but it could take a bit of rice for a whole DAW. If you got it all out when there was only and inch or so of water you should be okay.
    post edited by Crg - 2009/01/18 23:49:23

Craig DuBuc
    Ron Vogel
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/19 16:58:02 (permalink)
    Most of the real damage was to the ceiling, and it's dying up nice. I have an industrial dehumidifer in there, and got all the standing water up Saturday night. I worked all day yesterday, and got the floating floor framed and installed in my office. I insulated it, skinned it, and put some temp carpeting down. I moved all my equipment back in, and things are looking up. I have to roll out and prop up the kid's side carpeting to dry it out tonight.

Edge of the floating floor:

Before and after DAW desk...can you see my improvments?

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/20 05:11:43 (permalink)
    Man, I feel your pain - but looking on the bright side, it could have been an AWFUL lot worse!!

This sort of thing, in the UK at least, would be covered under buildings insurance - do you have something similar in the US?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    dcastle
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2623
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/01/27 17:35:26 (permalink)
    I had a art tube pre on the floor that got pretty soaked and it may still work if it dries out

The art pre might even sound better for the experience.

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
    Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
    MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
    SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/02/03 15:40:22 (permalink)
    DUDE! I went through almost the exact same experience... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you've ripped out the ceiling and dried it completely. Look into Black Mold and how quickly it can start... it took less than 24 hours to make my drum booth an exceedingly unhealthy place to be, and then it took 5 days of heater/dehumidifier/blower work to dry the floor joists.

Seriously... do NOT mess around, man! You're doing too much cool work to take a chance!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    Ron Vogel
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/02/03 17:39:34 (permalink)
    I didn't rip out the ceiling, but there are places for air to get in/out on both sides of the basement. I ran the heat with the only vent open in the house in the basement...with the thermo set at 78 for 2 weeks, and ran an insustrial dehumidifier down there. Hpefully it was enough, but it all seems dried up now.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/02/03 18:12:19 (permalink)
    You have my sympathy Ron. Sorry this happened.

Best
    John
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/02/03 18:29:59 (permalink)
    Yeah, that is a bummer, Ron, but as the others have mentioned, could've been much worse. At the very least, your bad fortune and close call with your computer can serve as a reminder to all of us to keep backup copies of our most important computer files (e.g., song project files, photos) at an off-site location in case of flood, fire, theft, etc. I already back up to another HD in case my project HD fails, but that ain't gonna do me much good if the whole computer goes swimming or gets stolen, now is it?! I think I'll go to BestBuy today and pick up an external HD to keep at work.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

Ron Vogel
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/02/03 18:49:18 (permalink)
    Well, the whole deal jumpstarted me finishing off the room, and I have been getting tons done...it's real nice now.

In the spring I'm going to repair that pipe the right way (I capped it vs running a new pipe to the outside wall) and then insulate it well.

I also went to great lengths to waterproof my storage better...and will never leave the house for a few days w/o shutting off the water when I leave! I went to Michigan over the holidays, and the whole time had a sinking feeling about flooding (but from rain)...just 2 weeks later I get a real flood; pretty scary!

Ron Vogel
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/03/07 03:28:47 (permalink)
    Progress (never mind all the drywall dust...and I need to put stuff away):

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/03/07 03:43:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lazarous

DUDE! I went through almost the exact same experience... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you've ripped out the ceiling and dried it completely. Look into Black Mold and how quickly it can start... it took less than 24 hours to make my drum booth an exceedingly unhealthy place to be, and then it took 5 days of heater/dehumidifier/blower work to dry the floor joists.

Seriously... do NOT mess around, man! You're doing too much cool work to take a chance!

Corey

Ron,

Pay attention to the words above. There are significant health risks with molds of all kinds, and some of them are deadly to people with allergies. You may not need to rip out the ceiling, but you will need to cut test holes in the ceiling and in the drywall near the floors and you will need to do this regularly for the next little while. Anywhere humidity can stand for a day or two can wreak havoc.

Did you rip up all the carpet, clean and dry it before reinstalling, or is this what the dehumidifier was for?

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Ron Vogel
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/03/07 11:26:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

ORIGINAL: lazarous

Corey

Ron,

Pay attention to the words above. There are significant health risks with molds of all kinds, and some of them are deadly to people with allergies. You may not need to rip out the ceiling, but you will need to cut test holes in the ceiling and in the drywall near the floors and you will need to do this regularly for the next little while. Anywhere humidity can stand for a day or two can wreak havoc.

Did you rip up all the carpet, clean and dry it before reinstalling, or is this what the dehumidifier was for?

All that was done after the flooding. I had it down to bare concrete, then framed in the suspended floors. I had no insulation in the walls then, and after I dried them out with the dehumidifier finished skinning them with the mdf after insulating them.

I have taken a few test squares in the worst areas, and so far so good. The ceiling in my control room is coming down anyway. The builder didn't insulate the basement ceiling at all, so at least that is getting redone. I have to run some electrical anyway to put in something that I can turn on and off by a switch rather than a pull chain. I still have 2 outside walls to frame and I'll be doing it all at once. I will probably add 2 more outlets also, as I only have 1 in there on the opposite side of the room from all my stuff.

CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/03/07 16:21:13 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear it Ron, sounds like it could have been a lot worse though.

Good luck.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    i8ipop
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 568
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/03/08 05:17:44 (permalink)
    UGH I feel for ya man. the dehumidifier should do ok, I've used them for drying out plaster on cold damp days but keep a look out for mould as Laz commented on. if there is any water trapped above the drywall it could cause a problem later on down the track.

Still raining...still dreaming!
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: My studio flooded this morning 2009/03/08 05:44:00 (permalink)
    Yeah you really want to make sure that ceiling's bone-dry - fungus kicks in automatically over a certain percentage constant humidity. Ventilation can help a lot, even making a few temp holes to run air through from one end of the ceiling coming out the other end somewhere - and out of the building, preferably, and keep that running until you're sure.

Treat the first black spots immediately with a natriumhypochloride based fungus killer or something - the active ingredient of bleach, BTW (fungus hates bleach). But just keeping it absolutely dry is best, and healthiest.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1