NEW - How Could You ? (Pogues magic dust mix)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Ian Ferrin
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 527
Re:NEW - How Could You ? (Pogues magic dust mix) 2011/03/03 02:40:28 (permalink)
Sounds really great.  Really interesting tune.  Having a mostly instrumental chorus the 1st time around is pretty interesting.  This is just a cool tune!

Peace,

Ian

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re:NEW - How Could You ? (Pogues magic dust mix) 2011/03/05 16:18:56 (permalink)
Jeroen - thanks for the nice comments - very kind of you. The bridge sections was pretty much created by Tom, so I can't take any credit for that really, but I agree that he did a great job of it. I'm glad that you enjoyed it overall. The feedback on this from everyone has been really positive - trouble is that I have to follow it now ! Still, it'll be fun trying.

Ian - Many thanks to you too. I was aiming for a slightly less conventional structure (by my standards) here, so I'm glad that you picked up on that.  I can only be happy with "interesting" and "cool" too.  :)
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re:NEW - How Could You ? (Pogues magic dust mix) 2011/03/05 18:23:21 (permalink)
Wow!  Great song!  It gets in your head...Love the bridge too it is so different...Great job!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
paulo
Re:NEW - How Could You ? (Pogues magic dust mix) 2011/03/08 15:29:03 (permalink)
Thanks for listening Pat - glad you enjoyed. I like to get into peoples heads so that's good too - I always like to think that someone will go away humming it to themselves. The bridge is a bit different for sure - a lil bit of Toms DT madness thrown in. The man's a genius I tell ya ;)
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:NEW - How Could You ? (Pogues magic dust mix) 2011/03/11 17:22:04 (permalink)
So a little birdie informed me that I should listen to this tune. I usually don't listen to little birdie's though unless they are UK Birds...lol...but, heck, I'm glad I listened this time. :)

Paulo, this is a really good song. I agree with what everyone has mentioned about the guitar work. So we know where the good stuff is, but let's talk a bit about some of the stuff you could possibly improve on here. Nothing bad man, honest...just a few things that I think might be helpful to you. Before I say a word, common listeners will not have any issues with this tune as is...so it's fine. Only we geeky engineer/producer types will find some of the very small issues. :)

The first thing to watch for is digital clicks/pops like what we hear at 1:08 on the Soundcloud mix. You have to go through this stuff with a fine toothed comb to make sure stuff like this doesn't come out on your stuff. Mastering engineers will get rid of stuff like that for you...or at least let you know it exists so you can remove it.

Next, when you get to the 1:32 section...whatever those chords are that hit there...they bring in some "whoomfing" that could be the bass guitar or the rhythm guitars and bass playing chords that will push up the transients a bit. For example, if you play an E chord and watch your meters, you will get one reading. Then, play a G#, A, Bb or B chord and watch the difference in the meters. Bass guitar will react this way too...so on certain chords and notes, we may have to run some automation eq on those frequencies or sometimes even a multiband compressor to keep those transients from lashing out at us and somewhat mudding up our mixes.

For example, if a guitar and bass are both playing a B and that B note numerically is hitting at 123Hz, both of those instruments are going to push that frequency harder and make it "whoomf" so to speak. Sometimes certain bass guitar notes ring out louder than others due to bass player pull, execution, or the pick-ups being higher on certain strings. So watch for that and see if you can hear what I'm talking about in that spot I mentioned. We just sort of pick up some congestion and unwanted frequencies at the 1:32 section each time it plays those chords.

One final thought, I'd also agree with bapu on the bass. I could hear a nice full bodied bass tone on this with a bit more identity. Everything you have here is completely audible..make no mistake there. But this particular bass guitar seems to be a bit more "felt" than "heard". It's nice when you can get a combination of both.

Other than the above though, this is a great song with great players and the mix is a fine effort. Nice, snappy drum sound that is very natural. Blues guitar tones and playing to die for, good vocals, a great hook and an all around great song! Thanks for sharing man. :)
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/03/11 17:24:23

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
paulo
Re:NEW - How Could You ? (Pogues magic dust mix) 2011/03/14 19:06:49 (permalink)
Hey Danni !

Thanks for listening man - I'm glad you listened to the lil' birdie ! And boy, you really did listen - thank you so much for paying such close attention.  I checked out the soundcloud wav and I hear the click you mention, but I don't hear it on my DAW, so I guess it must be something to do with the upload to SC.

I can kinda hear what your saying about the "whoomfing", so I'll have a look into that - automating EQ will be a first for me, so might take a while lol ! I already tweaked the bass a little after Bapu's comment, but didn't get around to uploading a new version yet, so hopefully that's sorted already.

Thanks again for the detailed listen - really appreciate it and glad you enjoyed the track overall.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1