NEW tune: BRUNSWICK stew

Author
jdubsjazz
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 144
2009/08/30 16:58:39 (permalink)

NEW tune: BRUNSWICK stew

Hi all,

I recorded this tune a while back (2 years ago maybe?)  with my cakewalk HS, just using the instruments included ( HSXL 7) and 1 track of horn ( trombone)- I was happy with it, but thought it could have used some improvement. A live version of my tune is now out and I am wondering if y'all might A/B the two, and offer any suggestions on how I might approach making the studio version sound more "real"? The live one is an actual band, and all instruments are real- was recorded off the mixing board for the most part. 

here's my SC music page, the 1st tune is the live version (Brunswick Stew) and 2 songs down is the CW version. Thanks in advance for giving it a listen :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=129535

jamie

Cakewalk HS6XL ,Behringer Tube Ultragain MiC 100 pre-amp, Shure 57 Microphone, M-Audio Radium, M-Audio delta 2496, Compaq PC w/ dual core Intel- 250 Gig HD, 2 gig RAM, Bach Tenor and Bass trombones

3 Replies Related Threads

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:NEW tune: BRUNSWICK stew 2009/08/30 22:46:08 (permalink)
    Well, if you get a decent recording live, it's impossible to make a studio cut sound like that.  Your live version is a little faster and drives a little more.  I'm doin the cumbia dance as I write.  Sorry about my handwriting!  I played with a tex-mex band for practice while their bass player was in jail or something.  Not really, but....  It had me movin' all the time.  This live version is FUN!!  Your conga player was playing nice stuff.  In the studio I didn't hear that.  Well I like this a lot and might turn it on again and get my wife to dance too!  Great horn work!!!!!!!!!!!!   What a great tune.  I had to edit to say LOVE THE PIANO WORK TOO!!!!  Bass nice and strong.

post edited by evadianepug - 2009/08/30 22:48:13

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:NEW tune: BRUNSWICK stew 2009/09/01 21:59:13 (permalink)
    Hi jamie,

Love the tone of that double bass (studio version). Real nice all around vibe in the live version. The energy and edgyness is just not there in the studio version. I really enjoyed the live version. Very well done!

Hey Warren, what's a cumbia??

Regards,
    jc
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:NEW tune: BRUNSWICK stew 2009/09/01 23:46:43 (permalink)
    Jamie,
    The live version has a "sweaty" edge to it that isn't quite there in the studio version. You guys are tight, and you and the keyboard player are anticipating the beat. That's where the energy is showing, and it really shines.
    I'm not sure if it will work, but try nudging the keyboard and trombone tracks a bit forward in the studio version. This should help mimic the energy you show in the live performance, and give it more of an edge.
    That live version just has a drive to it that keeps pushing you forward. I like it.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1