NRPNs in softsynths

Author
OldNick
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1149
2017/03/27 09:54:17 (permalink)

NRPNs in softsynths

One of the things I liked most about my old SoundBalster (everybody rubbished them but they were ground breaking and cheap in those days) cards was the extensive NRPNs.

My favourite one was the one that allowed me to set Attack etc for EGs on the fly. My most common use of this was with guitar, where I could create glisanndos by setting a very fast attack for notes, so it better emulated the lack of a pluck for each note as the "player" slid over the frets.

Dementia Pro and presumably Raptor do not handle NRPNs well, and AFAIK cannot actually use them. All I can think to do there is have the same programme loaded in two Elements, then drive one with one MIDI channel/track, then set the other to have a small attack time, hiding the pluck and only have glissando-ed notes in the track.

SFz allows entry of NRPNs, but they are cryptic and I cannot find documentation of them.

So I am wondering if there is a softsynth that either emulates the SoundBalster, or has a well documented set of NRPNs.

Thanks for any help

Nick
Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit

16 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/27 10:02:11 (permalink)
    NRPN is transfered with 4 MIDI CC messages and the speed of MIDI is limited.
    What is wrong with simple CC and/or automations?

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    OldNick
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/27 10:10:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.

NRPNs never gave me any trouble when I used them extensively for all sorts of stuff on the Balster cards, for all that they used up data time.

Maybe I am missing something, but IIRC it took NRPNs to allow setting the Attack of an EG, for instance. Controllers are limited to certain functions. I can't see any way to set EG attack on several synths I have tried, on the fly, pretty much note by note, as I described. I am pretty stale and out of date with this, but AFAICS using automation envelopes would be difficult to get pinpoint accuracy. I await to be proved wrong. I would _love_ to be proved wrong.

Nick
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/27 11:35:15 (permalink)
    Part of CCs (as RPNs) have some proposed meaning (see tables at www.midi.org). Some equipment/synth follow that proposal. Some set default mapping to proposed or fixed with some (N)RPNs. Many allow "MIDI Learn" for parameters, in that case (N)RPNs can be unsupported (as ambiguous).

So particular parameter in particular plug-in can be controlled:
    1) by automations. That is special not MIDI (at least not directly) related way to control VST parameters. No MIDI track pointing to that plug-in (in case that is Audio FX) required for that.
    2) by MIDI. MIDI track is required and there are 2 variations:
    2.a) MIDI signal (CC, RPN, NRPN, etc.) by which that parameter is controlled is predefined
    2.b) MIDI signal can be learned within plug-in. The subset of MIDI messages which plug-in understand is plug-in specific. So some plug-ins can understand NRPNs, other not.

From the user perspective, (1) and (2) can be controlled "with mouse" or with MIDI controller. But routes from the MIDI controller to parameter are different:
    1) for automations, Sonar has 3 approaches:
    1.I) "Remote control..." (f.e. in the Synth rack)
    2.II) Control Surface "ACT Dynamic mapping" (so call "ACT Learn")
    3.III) Control Surface direct automation parameters steering (f.e. used by MackieControl)
    2) for MIDI way the host is only involved as a MIDI provider, it has no influence what delivered to the plug-in MIDI message will do (play note, switch it off, control attack, etc.)

All methods have sufficient for any purpose time resolution. But it is up to the plug-in to support fast parameter changes. Some are not expecting more then one change for one parameter inside one audio buffer frame and can produce very strange results. But one buffer is usually no longer then 3-5ms so that is rarely a limitation.
    Note that transferring one NRPN throw standard MIDI cable takes ~4ms. If that "worked fine", other methods should be fine to.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/27 13:16:48 (permalink)
    Controller 73 is the standard controller number for EG Attack

I know Rapture Pro responds to CC73 for EG atack.  You could also simply do a MIDI learn on your soft synth and map CC73 to EG attack.  Depends on the actual soft synth you are using as to how you adjust attack time.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    OldNick
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/27 20:47:12 (permalink)
    AAAHHHH! I just want to write music! I think that to save my simple artist's brain I will just stick with my idea of using a set of notes that are sent to an element or another example of the synth, then use the synth UI to control whatever. The whole plan seems to be to make it "simple" and dumb it down and control me and I can work with that for now, until I actually get some mucus written.

Otherwise I have to MIDI learn and all that. I have loaded heaps of synths and they just do not have a full CC implementation. When there is a standard set of CC#, why can't the synths just USE them?!

Nick
    OldNick
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/27 21:11:01 (permalink)
    BTW as I said I am rusty. Yes CC73 is Amp EG Attack, so NRPNs are irrelevant. It's just that all the softsynths are not letting me see most CC# and will not respond.

I tried Rupture with CC#73 and I could not get it to work. The only one I have made work with CC# is Cakewalk TTS1....eeeuuuuw

Nick
    OldNick
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/27 21:19:09 (permalink)
    ARRRGHQ And then of course if I want to try a different version of the instrument (a new guitar) I lose all my settings and have to start again. The expression should be in the music, not the instrument. Read any score. The composer and the player make the expression, by manipulating the instrument note by note.

Nick
    OldNick
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/28 05:03:39 (permalink)
    Well I don't know what happened, but part of the problem for me is the lack of displayed CC# when I try to use them. However, I tried CC73 several times and suddenly it works. Don't know what I was doing.

So after much thrashing about I am content. Need to get a CC# listing.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Nick
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/28 05:23:03 (permalink)
    The MIDI CC spec is here. Keep in mind plug-ins may not follow the spec, refer to the plug-in documentation. How CC data is bound to features in the the plug-in depend on the developer. To create a CC for a value not listed in the "MIDI Envelope/Event Type" drop downs ln SONAR, enter the number in the Value field when type is set to Control.
    OldNick
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/28 05:29:05 (permalink)
    OK thanks. I worked out/remembered the bit about just typing in the number.

I am willing to bet that finding how CC#s are implemented does not even get a mention in half the synths these days. :(

If the synth doesn't respond as standard to a CC, can MIDI Learn override that? I am trying to work out how ML works, but I would like to know how powerful it can be in that regard.

Thanks again

Nick
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/28 05:44:16 (permalink)
    The MIDI implementation often is not detailed in software documentation the way it was in hardware because the approaches vary. Some plug-ins are GM compliant. Some plug-ins use MIDI learn to bind CC to functions. Some use set up screens often referred to as a modulation matrix. Some don't mess with CC at all leaving it up the the DAW and plug-in automation. Plug-in automation in DAWs may be controlled by MIDI in one way or another. Some use a combination of methods.
    OldNick
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/28 06:01:55 (permalink)
    Thanks man! Wow! A bit Wild West Frontier stuff....every man for himself.

Yeah I have just now played with the MIDI Matrix in Dim Pro and had some encouraging results. It seems that there at least I can override the standard MIDI CC# responses, but there is a very limited choice of mappings.

Nick
    promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/28 06:15:00 (permalink)
    According to page 116 of the user guide for Rapture Pro:

The following controllers are hard-wired:
    • CC7 = Volume
    • CC11 = Expression
    • CC64 = Sustain (can be enabled/disabled per-Element using display control)
    • CC66 = Sostenuto (can be enabled/disabled per-Element using display control)
    • CC73 = Global Amplitude Attack
    • CC72 = Global Amplitude Release

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/28 06:27:35 (permalink)
    Yes, that is a carry over from DPro. DPro supports a several CC mapping methods including MIDI learn, a modulation matrix and automation.
    OldNick
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/28 10:32:30 (permalink)
    promidi
    According to page 116 of the user guide for Rapture Pro:

The following controllers are hard-wired:
    • CC7 = Volume
    • CC11 = Expression
    • CC64 = Sustain (can be enabled/disabled per-Element using display control)
    • CC66 = Sostenuto (can be enabled/disabled per-Element using display control)
    • CC73 = Global Amplitude Attack
    • CC72 = Global Amplitude Release

OK. Thanks. Interestingly I can override CC#73 in Dim Pro. I have always assumed their architectures were pretty much the same.

Nick
    OldNick
    Re: NRPNs in softsynths 2017/03/28 10:35:45 (permalink)
    scook
    Yes, that is a carry over from DPro. DPro supports a several CC mapping methods including MIDI learn, a modulation matrix and automation.

I need to chcek out MIDI learn, but so far everything I am reading refers to control surfaces. I have automatyion a lot, but it does not suit my need to work on say, 20 note events in a glissando.

Nick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1