Native Instruments Hard Drive Crash...the latest development...dern it

Author
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
2018/09/27 17:40:47 (permalink)

Native Instruments Hard Drive Crash...the latest development...dern it

Welp...I've got my Spectrasonics problems all sorted.  Great!

BUT

Somehow during all the machinations of that problem the external drive holding ALL my NI & third party Kontakt libraries went south.  In short...it's a brick.

No problem, I thought, I'll just get a newer, bigger, faster drive and reinstall from my original Komplete 11 Ultimate drive and my backups on my old DAW.  Tedious, yes.  Painful, a bit.  But no biggie.

BUT

Turns out that Native Access sees the indicators of all the libraries but, of course, not the libraries themselves so it can only "repair" the non-existent libraries.  Plus there is no uninstall option on NA.  And I can't even uninstall the eleventy jillion libraries one at a time in Win10 because it can't see them either.  Duh.  The installer on my KU11 drive won't install because it sees the descriptors but not the files.  So, as of now, I cannot uninstall and I can't install.  

I guess there is probably a way to hack the registry and get rid of all the NI stuff...but I'm loathe to travel that road yet.

Any suggestions???

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.

11 Replies Related Threads

yorolpal
    Re: Native Instruments Hard Drive Crash...the latest development...dern it 2018/09/27 20:24:28 (permalink)
    Update:  Using a little trickery I managed to get to a tech on the phone...yes, I really got to talk to a real person at Native Instruments...who'd a thunk it?

Anyway after explaining my situation to him and being clearly understood here's the upshot.

Even though I've got my Komplete 11 Ultimate original drive with everything on it (and my K10, K9, etc...)  I cannot just reload the libraries from it...or any drive I might have as a backup either.  The libraries have to be "re-mounted" to the new location and the only way to do this is to...wait for it...reinstall each individual library one at a time by letting Native Access download it from the NI website and do a fresh install to the new drive.  Yes...that's right...download each library in Komplete Ultimate 11 one at a time...there is no batch "reinstall all".  So...I should have everything reloaded and ready to go by...say...xmas...or new years.  If I'm lucky.  Sheesh.

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Native Instruments Hard Drive Crash...the latest development...dern it 2018/09/27 21:31:12 (permalink)
    Bummer.  I still have 35G of downloads to do to complete my K11U purchase from last fall.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: Native Instruments Hard Drive Crash...the latest development...dern it 2018/09/27 23:15:15 (permalink)
    Well at least there is a solution but OUCH!! I suggest reading War and Peace or the Lord of the Rings trilogy while installing.

It's Bass, not Bass.
    i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Native Instruments Hard Drive Crash...the latest development...dern it 2018/09/28 01:17:49 (permalink)
    Sounds like a komplete pain in the a$$. Why don't they send you a drive with all the stuff on it, even for an extra cost option?

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Native Instruments Hard Drive Crash...the latest development...dern it 2018/09/28 09:39:18 (permalink)
    I had a corrupted NI hard drive.

I seem to remember having to go through the various XML manifest files on the disk, finding the relevant download URL's for the installers, creating a temporary web-page so I could "right click->save as" and having to copy them to the right place on the NI hard disk.

Unfortunately, I don't recall exactly where everything was.... I do know it wasn't a pleasant experience!

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Native Instruments Hard Drive Crash...the latest development...dern it 2018/09/28 12:57:23 (permalink)
    seems like there isn't a painless fix, maybe good info for ni

just a sec

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Native Instruments Hard Drive Crash...the latest development...dern it 2018/09/28 14:36:22 (permalink)
    Yep!  Native Access is both a blessing and a curse.
    You used to be able to simply copy over a library... and point Kontakt to it.  Done!
    Now, you have to re-download each one.
    It makes configuration "simple" for non technical folks and first time installs, but a royal PITA for someone running many large libraries. 

#majorstepbackwards

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Native Instruments Hard Drive Crash...the latest development...dern it 2018/09/28 14:39:19 (permalink)
    NI needs to add (restore) the ability for Native Access to Add or "relocate" a library.
    This used to be done via "Add library" directly in Kontakt.
    Having to re-download is a horrible waste of time/resources.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    yorolpal
    Re: Native Instruments Hard Drive Crash...the latest development...dern it 2018/09/28 14:53:58 (permalink)
    Welp...turns out there is a solution.  And my guy at NI sent it to me.  Although why we went through all that "I'm afraid that's the only solution" stuff in our first couple of phone calls and emails I can't figure.  

There's a program that NI has...and he forwarded it to me...that lets you delete programs and libraries from the registry, thereby making them "installable" from Native Access.  And it works.  Only trouble is you have to delete each program or library individually.  And although it only takes about 20 seconds to do that...when you've got eleventy jillion programs and libraries to get through it's a pain...but one well worth enduring.  I've deleted most of what I think I need to...though I'm sure I'll have to go back and do some I've missed...and Native Access is currently installing off the original Komplete 11 Ultimate drive to the new replacement drive.  So far, so good.  I'll keep ya posted.

BobF
    Re: Native Instruments Hard Drive Crash...the latest development...dern it 2018/09/28 14:57:35 (permalink)
    Thankfully I haven't had to try this ...
    https://www.native-instru...c.336307/#post-1684391

I'm going to move a couple of libs and test this when I get a chance

Bob  --
    --

BobF
    Re: Native Instruments Hard Drive Crash...the latest development...dern it 2018/09/28 15:21:29 (permalink)
    No time like the present.  With the latest version of NA ... Note that the NI forum thread linked above specifies UNinstalled.  Apparently updates have changed that.

I moved my Form and Flesh folders to a different drive.  Then I launched NA, selected INSTALLED and noted that both showed errors.  Clicking Repair, then Relocate, I was able to browse to the new location and everything worx great.

Moving back was also painless.  I'm quite relieved that I'll be able to recover these from backups instead of spending 11 mos downloading again.  If my Samples drive dies ...

Bob  --
    --

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1