Need A Midi Controller - Nektar Panorama P1?

Author
SiTheMon
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 135
2017/09/13 12:47:02 (permalink)

Need A Midi Controller - Nektar Panorama P1?

Hi guys!
Ive just purchased Spitfires Albion One orchestra and Im looking for a midi controller for recording the cc info (dynamics / modulation etc). Ive looked at the nektar P1 online and it seems ok and thats the type of thing Im after, but I dont know anyone that has one to ask about the pros and cons.
As always any info appreciated.
Cheers
Si

Its nice to be important but its more important to be NICE :-)

7 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Need A Midi Controller - Nektar Panorama P1? 2017/09/13 14:14:14 (permalink)
    I do not have any Spitfire products, but:
    a) Nektar P1 primary a DAW controller. And it does not support Sonar. You can use it as a simple MIDI controller, but you loose the most of its functionality (and so the money you pay for it).
    b) Spitfire products are Kontakt instruments, so the best way to control them in general are NI (NKS compatible) devices
    c) general CC writing can be done with any simple MIDI controller, by proper type of hardware control. I mean depending from the target parameter, that can be Modulation Wheel, Knob, Fader, Pedal, After-Touch, etc. Note that there is a difference between simple "knobs" (270 degree, with current position indicator on it) and "endless encoders" (can be turned endless, sometimes with LED ring/display/bar indication for current position). General CC is much simpler to record with a simple knob: it has all possible (128) positions within 2/3 of a turn. Endless encoders normally have less "ticks" per complete turn, so operating is coarse or fine (depending what change in parameter is set for one tick), but not both at the same time. The advantage of endless encoders is they can be always "in sync" with corresponding parameters, so you do not have to sync manually (as with simple knobs). But that should be supported on software and hardware level. I am not sure how CC recording in Sonar is working with NKS encoders, may be someone with S keyboard can clarify that.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    SiTheMon
    Re: Need A Midi Controller - Nektar Panorama P1? 2017/09/13 22:12:40 (permalink)
    Wow! Thanks so much for all that info.

I maybe just need a simple control with sliders on then. Is there any particular ones you can recommend?

Thanks again

Si

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Need A Midi Controller - Nektar Panorama P1? 2017/09/13 22:58:17 (permalink)
    From functionality perspective, check that all controls are freely assignable and the number of them match your needs. That will prevent CC translating inconvenience.

While not a real "music instrument", it still make sense to test the device if you have some shop in the near. It can be disconnected, but turn/move controls, they can be very different in feel (f.e. "solid" but hard knobs on my KeyStation, tiny light on MPK Mini, something in between on VS20, etc-).

As a starting point you can check Launch Control XL (if you really want sliders).
    If you want ModWheel/PitchBend, look at something with keys (can be just 25).

But please wait till someone write about how good NI keyboard can be used for MIDI writing. As I have mentioned before, if hardware encoders are good, allow MIDI writing for NKS based synths and the price is not above brick wall for you, that can be the device to get.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re: Need A Midi Controller - Nektar Panorama P1? 2017/09/14 02:12:21 (permalink)
    The nectar lx88+ is really nice, has a sonar configuration, and deap programming potential...88 keys for orchestration is really helpful and it has very nice key action... I have both an NI Kontrol88 and the Nectar and generally use the Nectar

Watch the three vids... https://www.sweetwater.co.store/detail/ImpactLX88P

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    SiTheMon
    Re: Need A Midi Controller - Nektar Panorama P1? 2017/09/14 09:55:24 (permalink)
    Thanks Vastman / azslow3, I will go check that out. My friend has a Kontrol S61. I will get him to bring it round to see how I get on with it.

cheers
    Si

filtersweep
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 194
    Re: Need A Midi Controller - Nektar Panorama P1? 2017/09/17 13:55:24 (permalink)
    I have the NI S61. The control it offers over nks instruments is VERY convenient without the hassle of midi learn. I am not sure if all kontact instruments are necessarily controllable from S61. I didnt think that was the case but could well be wrong. I dont use the keyboard to control Sonar so I can't comment other than to say that I do not believe their is built-in, deep Sonar compatibility thougb I believe it can be used for some basic daw functions.
    new Mk2 version of NI keyboards is comjng soon. Looks  impressive.
    Brian

Sonar Platinum (lifetime). Kurzweil PC3X. Native Intruments S61. Native Instruments Maschine Micro Mk2, Roland OctaCapture. JBL 4328 monitors and 4312 sub. Windows 10. Intel 6700X, 32 gB RAM,  3 Crucial SSD (250/500/500). Komplete 10, Ample Sound SG, AAS Lounge Lizard/Strum/Strings/Chromo/UltraAnalog/Tass, Addictive Drums 2, a few others.
    SiTheMon
    Re: Need A Midi Controller - Nektar Panorama P1? 2017/09/18 12:26:20 (permalink)
    filtersweep
    I have the NI S61. The control it offers over nks instruments is VERY convenient without the hassle of midi learn. I am not sure if all kontact instruments are necessarily controllable from S61. I didnt think that was the case but could well be wrong. I dont use the keyboard to control Sonar so I can't comment other than to say that I do not believe their is built-in, deep Sonar compatibility thougb I believe it can be used for some basic daw functions.
    new Mk2 version of NI keyboards is comjng soon. Looks  impressive.
    Brian

Yeah Ive tried the S61 and think its great for the Spitfire library. I just wished it had more slider controllers rather than knobs.

The search continues. Thanks for all your help. 

Si

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1