Need Advice On Gear Upgrade

Author
left_of_the_dial
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
2007/01/04 04:12:37 (permalink)

Need Advice On Gear Upgrade

I need to give my recordings a boost and want to upgrade my equipment but can't really decide where to start. I know a lot of you have first hand experience with most this equipment and could give me a good idea on where to start. Here's what I have right now.

Mic's - Groove Tubes GT55(like) & Studio Projects C1(don't like)

Preamps - Studio Projects VTB-1(like), Presonus Blue Tube (O.K.), & Presonus VXP(don't like)

Soundcard - M-Audio Delta 44

Software - Cakewalk Sonar 1

I'm kind of fishing for ideas since buying new mic's and preamps hasn't really made a big difference. I'm thinking that maybe I need to upgrade the soundcard or software might be nessessary before I go out and invest five hundred bucks in a Grace 101 or RNP preamp.

The biggest problem is that I get great recordings when I simply play guitar and sing simultaneously into one microphone but then lose clarity, expecially vocals, when I attemp to recording everything on separate tracks and mix them down. If anyone knows what upgrade in my setup could improve this probblem the most it would greatly appreciated.
post edited by left_of_the_dial - 2007/01/04 04:32:47

7 Replies Related Threads

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Need Advice On Gear Upgrade 2007/01/04 07:46:10 (permalink)
    I don't know anything about Sonar 1, but I'd probably upgrade the software.
    The Delta 44 should do you fine.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    NW Smith
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Need Advice On Gear Upgrade 2007/01/04 09:17:27 (permalink)
    I too would vote for the software upgrade. Sonar 6 PE has some great features and plugins.

My Website:
    http://www.marwoodwilliams.com
    My Music on Bandcamp:
    http://marwoodwilliams.bandcamp.com

Equipment: Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, Sonar Platinum, Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer,  Focusrite  Scarlett 18i6
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Need Advice On Gear Upgrade 2007/01/04 10:23:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: left_of_the_dial

I need to give my recordings a boost and want to upgrade my equipment but can't really decide where to start. I know a lot of you have first hand experience with most this equipment and could give me a good idea on where to start. Here's what I have right now.

Mic's - Groove Tubes GT55(like) & Studio Projects C1(don't like)

Preamps - Studio Projects VTB-1(like), Presonus Blue Tube (O.K.), & Presonus VXP(don't like)

Soundcard - M-Audio Delta 44

Software - Cakewalk Sonar 1

I'm kind of fishing for ideas since buying new mic's and preamps hasn't really made a big difference. I'm thinking that maybe I need to upgrade the soundcard or software might be nessessary before I go out and invest five hundred bucks in a Grace 101 or RNP preamp.

The biggest problem is that I get great recordings when I simply play guitar and sing simultaneously into one microphone but then lose clarity, expecially vocals, when I attemp to recording everything on separate tracks and mix them down. If anyone knows what upgrade in my setup could improve this probblem the most it would greatly appreciated.

You have good stuff hardware wise, however I would say the next step up in sound quality would be a Lynx sound card. Also your version of Sonar is very old now so it might be time to upgrade. The audio mix engine in the new version is much better.
    Hard2Hear
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: Need Advice On Gear Upgrade 2007/01/04 12:36:47 (permalink)
    Ive gotten some pretty dang good recordings on a Delta44. If its the mix problem you're having, a upgrade of Sonar is your best bet.
    left_of_the_dial
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Need Advice On Gear Upgrade 2007/01/04 14:20:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice. I'll probably start by upgrading the software.

Sonar 6 Producer Edition looks a little pricy for my needs. I suppose I'll either go with Sonar 5 Producer or just Sonar 6 Studio.

Last question would be, which of those two should I go with?

Thanks Again.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: Need Advice On Gear Upgrade 2007/01/04 14:57:00 (permalink)
    If you can find a good deal on an old (new in the box) Sonar PE5, that would be my choice. It has the 64bit engine and some nice plugins that do not come with the studio edition. It also would allow you to upgrade within the PE line for less $$$ down the road.
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Need Advice On Gear Upgrade 2007/01/04 16:32:12 (permalink)
    Like the others have suggested, I would upgrade Sonar first. If nothing else, you should hear some improvement in the audio processing. Next, I would say better A-D converters. What studio monitors do you use?

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1