Need Help on MC3

Author
timedeane
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2006/11/28 17:22:49 (permalink)

Need Help on MC3

I,m relatively new at this, I have been using MC3 with a yamaha PSR 3000 keyboard.

I have done some stuff in midi and recorded all the midi tracks onto 1 audio track as it

says in the cakewalk manual. But when i play the audio track back through my pc

the sound is terrible.

it sounds like a muffled bassy mess with no top end.

also, i have tried to export the audio track as an MP3, i downloaded an online (cwenc) encoder

but i am now prompted to unlock the encoder somehow.

would be grateful if someone could help.

12 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Need Help on MC3 2006/11/28 17:27:36 (permalink)
    Tell us a bit more about how you recorded the midi over to audio, and maybe we can help you.

As far as the encoder, i suggest a 3rd party MP3 encoder,like a lame or something.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Need Help on MC3 2006/11/28 17:30:37 (permalink)
    cwenc will not work from inside MC, you need to export your song as a wave file (recommended anyway), then open CWENC as a stand alone program, tell it where to find the wave file you just exported, then give it a name for the mp3, set the other parameters and voila' - you have an mp3 of your song.

for the other problem, it could be a lot of things. what are you using to trigger your midi? i.e., what is your MIDI track output set to?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    timedeane
    RE: Need Help on MC3 2006/11/28 19:04:53 (permalink)
    my midi track outputs are set to cakewalk music connector 1.

i have created an audio track in the trackview in MC, clicked the record button and played the song (Midi tracks)
    through my keyboard.

All the midi tracks seem to record onto the one audio track ok, but when i playback through the PC soundcard the sound

quality is bad, if/when i figure out how to export it to an mp3, will the sound of the MP3 also be poor?

Beagle
    RE: Need Help on MC3 2006/11/28 19:37:14 (permalink)
    yes, the sound quality will be bad - if it's bad in MC it will be bad in an export.

Ok, I'm still trying to understand exactly what you're doing. let me see if I get it right:

* you have a MIDI track which is filled with MIDI data
    * you insert an audio track and arm it
    * you set the output of the MIDI track to your keyboard
    * you set the INPUT of the AUDIO track to what? your soundcard input? LINE INPUT or MIC INPUT?
    * you have audio cable(s) running from your keyboard to your soundcard, correct? (LINE INPUT OR MIC INPUT?)

timedeane
    RE: Need Help on MC3 2006/11/28 20:01:43 (permalink)
    i have 8 midi tracks that i have recorded onto one audio track that i can export.
    i assumed (possibly incorrectly) that that was the way to export a song, to have all the
    midi tracks converted to 1 audio track first.

perhaps i should clarify exactly what i am trying to do.
    I have composed a song in the track view on MC that comprises 8 Midi tracks.
    i want to listen to the song on an MP3 player, my interpretation of the mc manual is that i have to
    record the midi tracks onto 1 audio track first, before converting to MP3.

the input (and output) of the audio track is set to "soundmax digital audio" i have to admit i'm confused
    as to whether that is my keyboard or PC soundcard, or what it is.
    i have audio cables running from my 2 keyboard outputs to the pink mic input of my pc,
    thats the only way i could get it to work.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Need Help on MC3 2006/11/28 21:05:31 (permalink)
    The Soundmax is the (pos) sound card in the computer. Not a good card. Also, the mic input is not good for an instrument to plug in to. In most cases, the mic input has a preamplifier which boosts the signal, which will distort an instrument input. I think you can go to your Windows mixer and change the input to 'line in' and that may turn off the preamp.
    Is that right, guys?
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Need Help on MC3 2006/11/28 21:33:04 (permalink)
    Definitely the right direction, Greg.
    Timedeane,
    For your soundcard connections, is there a blue one? If there are icons stamped into the computer next to the connections, you should see a circle with an arrow pointing into the center. This is your line in.
    Plug the audio out from your keyboard into that, and make the change in the Windows mixer that Greg mentioned.
    In the mixer, you need to click Options, and select line in as the recording source.
    That may not be the only problem, but it's probably part of it.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    timedeane
    RE: Need Help on MC3 2006/11/28 21:46:09 (permalink)
    thanks for this guys

will continue tomorrow
    Beagle
    RE: Need Help on MC3 2006/11/28 22:03:18 (permalink)
    first of all, I would not try to record all of the midi down to ONE audio track, you can (and probably should) record them to EIGHT tracks since you have 8 midi source tracks. Of course, it will take longer recording each track separately, but then you can have tighter control over each track as you mix into the final output.

these guys are steering you straight, but I would offer an alternative solution. you can do what you want this way especially the way that Greg and Robert are telling you, but consider using softsynths instead.

the sounds from your keyboard are going to be much better than the softsynths that come with MC, BUT your sound card is the limitation here and might be the cause of you not being able to record good sounds. YOu might get decent sounds that way if you are able to follow Robert's advice and plug into the LINE input (blue) instead of the MIC input. the mic input is likely what's causing most of your bad sound.

but if you want an alternative until you can get a better sound card, then try following tutorial #8 in the help files. it deals with telling you how to insert and use a DXi Synth. that way, you don't have to use the keyboard audio output plugged into the sound card at all. just insert the softsynth and select your GM channel, bank and patch to the sounds you want, then you can learn to BOUNCE to TRACK, which I believe is at the end of tutorial #4.

shredheadinstead
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 478
    RE: Need Help on MC3 2006/11/29 01:50:34 (permalink)
    BOUNCE to TRACK is a life saver for me! I can plant 5 or 6 different instruments, even map out a the Dream Synth, and throw all it all together with a click of a mouse. And still have all my original tracks on the the track view untouched. Really remarkable. Reminds me a lot of the "render to track" feature in Acid products. Of course you cant forget to bounce the "entire mix." Lol.
    timedeane
    RE: Need Help on MC3 2006/11/29 17:25:15 (permalink)
    i want to thank you guys for all your help yesterday, thanks to you i have good sound now, and have figured out the cwenc MP3 encoder as well.
    as i said i'm new to this, until recently the only bus i was familiar with......well you know....was a big metal thing with a wheel in each corner.
    Anyway, maybe someone can help me with another problem, before i start mixing i obviously have to convert any MIDI tracks to audio,
    then what? do i then convert all the audio tracks to a single audio track before exporting to MP3? i'm a little confused with the Master and bus controls in the
    mixing pane.
    Beagle
    RE: Need Help on MC3 2006/11/29 18:52:48 (permalink)
    once you have all audio tracks you can adjust each one's volume, add FX to each individually or in groups, and my advice is to route all of them eventually to the MASTER bus for output. and you can add FX, volume envelopes, etc to it as well.

then you simply export as is, you don't need to convert them all to one audio track before export.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1