Need Help with Keeping Tracks Separate

Author
Ryphis_Demeanor
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2005/11/04 16:28:03 (permalink)

Need Help with Keeping Tracks Separate

First off thanks for any quick replies. I'm sure this is easy as pie to fix but reading Sonar 4 Power and other advice hasn't helped at all.

Have a great computer that is above all specifications for Sonar 4, incredible sound card, 1000 gigs of harddrive, excellent memory. This isn't a hardware issue that I can see.

My problem is with audio recording. I've been recording the acoustic guitar part first via mic. Then I create a second track arm it for recording and go to record but it always mixes the 1st and 2nd track together.

Essentially we ultimately want to be able to record the two tracks separately and then manipulate them independently. It has consistently mixed the guitar part into the 2nd Vocal track, no matter what we set.

So when I record track two with the vocals, it brings in a guitar part. I know you can mute track 1 before you record but I need to be able to at least hear my guitar part through the headphones so I can sing the vocals.

Thanks so much for the help, I've been more into the art than the recording for too long. I never had this problem with Cakewalk Homestudio. All tracks were kept separate no matter what. Any advice or websites I should check?

8 Replies Related Threads

Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: Need Help with Keeping Tracks Separate 2005/11/04 16:30:28 (permalink)
    Exactly what sound card are you using? If it's an Audigy/Creative/Sound Blaster card, turn off "What You Hear" in the cards mixer.
    Ryphis_Demeanor
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Need Help with Keeping Tracks Separate 2005/11/04 17:19:18 (permalink)
    I turned it off and now I'm getting nothing...... Do I need to turn on another recording option within Sonar?

And yes it's Soundblaster top of the line
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Need Help with Keeping Tracks Separate 2005/11/04 17:24:16 (permalink)

Excellent Dood!

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    tunekicker
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1261
    RE: Need Help with Keeping Tracks Separate 2005/11/04 17:29:25 (permalink)
    Unless your soundcard has a custom mixer GUI, you should be able to fix this via the Windows mixer. Double-click on the speaker icon in your system tray to open the mixer.
    Click on Options, then Properties. Select the Recording box, then check the inputs you want to be able to see and set. Click OK. Now you're back to the mixer, but with Recording Properties showing. Depending on where you are plugged in to the back of your system, make sure either Mic or Line in is selected. Most likely recording is enabled for the Mix, which is EVERYTHING you hear.
    Soundblaster's GUI should have a similar method of selecting the input. Make sure it matches the input you are plugged into.

ORIGINAL: Ryphis_Demeanor

I turned it off and now I'm getting nothing......

by getting nothing do you mean hearing nothing (check your Input Monitor settings) or recording nothing (hmmm....)?
    I'll try to help more if I can.
    Peace,

- Tunes
    joseph.barron
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Need Help with Keeping Tracks Separate 2005/11/05 00:08:38 (permalink)
    Its been a while sense I recorded using a computer sound card, but when you select the source on the second track, are you selecting the exact channel, like SB Right or SB Left, or a you selecting SB Mix or something like that.
    Greystorm
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Need Help with Keeping Tracks Separate 2005/11/05 00:52:36 (permalink)
    You should be able to leave the input on track 2 the same as track 1 and just dis-arm track 1 and make sure there is no green light on track 1 as well, ( I am not on my DAW so I cant remember the name of the button beside the record button on each track DOH! ) You should still be able to hear the first track and record a second with out them mixing

Middle Age Crazy- Some guys buy fast cars and chase fast women. I dusted off my guitar, tweaked the PC (EDIT:spent thousands of dollars on all these toys) and kicked the kids out of the basement
    http://members.soundclick.com/Cole%27s+Garage

jyoung
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 483
    RE: Need Help with Keeping Tracks Separate 2005/11/05 01:09:10 (permalink)
    This isn't a hardware issue that I can see.

I would recommend that you save up a few bucks and buy a real audio device.
    b3gsus@msn.com
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1293
    RE: Need Help with Keeping Tracks Separate 2005/11/05 06:58:43 (permalink)
    Gooolllly, that's the 1st I've heard of that!!! (within the last 2 hours!!! hehehe Wildman[sm=rolleyes.gif][sm=rolleyes.gif][sm=rolleyes.gif]
    Exactly what sound card are you using? If it's an Audigy/Creative/Sound Blaster card, turn off "What You Hear" in the cards mixer.

Wildman,,aka,,,"Nick Danger"
    Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
    2-Mackie 24/8buss
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1