Need PreSonus Firepod & Laptop advice...

Author
Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
2010/08/24 13:19:12 (permalink)

Need PreSonus Firepod & Laptop advice...

Sorry for the double post, but I didn't get any responses in the Computers forum.

A buddy of mine has just upgraded to Sonar Studio 8.5 and also bought this Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050: Toshiba laptop. I'm hoping you guys can give some tips/advice on tweaking his system.

He did a clean install with only Windows 7 (64bit) and Sonar.
He's using the Presonus Firepod (FP10) and the M-Audio 2x2 midi (USB) interface.

Basically, he'll be mostly recording audio and needs this system to work as smooth as possible. 
Would he need to buy a soundcard (it comes with the standard Realtek soundcard)? If yes, what are some inexpensive ones (USB)?
What are somethings he could do to "fine tune" his DAW to make it run smoothly with the equipment he's got?
Any other info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks 

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys

11 Replies Related Threads

dr.hash
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:Need PreSonus Firepod & Laptop advice... 2010/08/24 18:33:27 (permalink)
    Check the Firewire chipset on the laptop.  If the two are incompatible then your firepod wont work.  The work around is to buy an express card but Firewire interfaces seam to only work really well with two express card chipsets.  Check your manual.  Although this is the norm, it is not always the case.

Secondly if you are going to a USB interface, they are far and few between because of the conspiricy of Apple Craps, their machines do not have USB slots.

I have a Firestudio project and run it through an express card, although the express card is  a little unstable.  I have now brought as my main mixing interface a Lexicon I.Onix U42s this is USB and it is beautiful and super stable.  On saying that nothing is perfect and to expect perfect you really are going to struggle.

I’m not being conceited or arrogant, I just want to give away the formula for turning lead into gold.
    Down with the false Gods. (Audio Schools)
    Viva la Revolution
    Sonar Forever, Pro Tools Never
    Ben B.C.T (Bachelor of Creative Technology)
    http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Need PreSonus Firepod & Laptop advice... 2010/08/24 20:28:50 (permalink)
    Google " how to optimize a computer for DAW" and read away. Its basically a matter of not having background stuff polling your CPU and screwing things up. Download the dpclat meter to check for latency issues. He  already has an interface so your question about the sound card is no. The on board card will only be used to play beeps and poops created by OS. I always disable it but it's not always necessary.
    There is a lot of threads regarding Firewire and the only chipset that works being Texas Instruments but don't ask me for facts, I stay away from that stuff.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Mesh
    Re:Need PreSonus Firepod & Laptop advice... 2010/08/25 10:11:44 (permalink)
    Yeah, it seems that Laptops (without the TI chipset) & firewire don't seem very compatible. I've read quite a few threads over here, but still haven't found any info to workaround or an actual way to get his hardware and Sonar work (as best as possible)......

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Positively Charged
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re:Need PreSonus Firepod & Laptop advice... 2010/08/25 16:51:54 (permalink)
    If I may chime in here with a general comment.  Take it for what it's worth.

I also have a PreSonus Firestudio Project, but I don't run it through any special interface or anything; mine is simply firewired to my workstation (not a laptop).  I did have to roll back the 1392 firewire drivers to avoid blue screen crashes in Windows 7.

After all my experiences, I think Firewire is somewhat squirrely and going forward I am not planning to ever get another firewire audio/midi interface.  I'll stick with USB from here on out.
    dr.hash
    Re:Need PreSonus Firepod & Laptop advice... 2010/08/25 19:00:27 (permalink)
    I am using a Texas Instruments express laptop card and am still having issues.  The optimiztion thing is obsolete once you start running an i5 windows seven computer.  I use to optimize all my windows 98,xp and vista computers but not anymore. 

On saying that tell me what you are running if you are not using an i5 seven computer and i will use my book that lists the optimiztion process and list them for you.

I’m not being conceited or arrogant, I just want to give away the formula for turning lead into gold.
    Viva la Revolution
    jcatena
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re:Need PreSonus Firepod & Laptop advice... 2010/08/25 19:13:13 (permalink)
    Regardless of the generic firewire issues, Presonus drivers have too many bugs.
    It is very sad, because the hardware is good and reasonably priced...

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    Positively Charged
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re:Need PreSonus Firepod & Laptop advice... 2010/08/26 09:54:28 (permalink)
    Well I have not run into any PreSonus bugs. 

That's quite a broad brush you have painted with; and maybe a bit unfairly, without some specific examples.
    Mesh
    Re:Need PreSonus Firepod & Laptop advice... 2010/08/26 11:14:54 (permalink)
    Positively Charged

I
    After all my experiences, I think Firewire is somewhat squirrely and going forward I am not planning to ever get another firewire audio/midi interface.  I'll stick with USB from here on out.

From the little research I've done, I'm very inclined to agree with you (especially when it comes to Laptops). Thanks Positive for your positive comments.... 

My buddy's now looking for an audio interface (USB) with 4+ in/outs (hopefully under $300). Any opinion(s) on the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8x8? 

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Need PreSonus Firepod & Laptop advice... 2010/08/26 11:22:18 (permalink)
    Best bang for the buck right now is the Tascam us1641  16x4 USB W7 Vista and XP drivers.
    They are clearing them out because they have a new model the us2000 which appears only diff is to have meters.

There is a thread going right now regarding this interface. It was started in 2007 when the unit was $400.

http://forum.cakewalk.com...?m=1222650  

Someone ordered one and it was $275 with shipping etc.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/08/26 11:28:59

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Need PreSonus Firepod & Laptop advice... 2010/08/26 16:01:36 (permalink)
    I have an M Audio Fast Track Ultra 8r and running it on Win 7 without problems, both on Win 7 32 bit on an Acer laptop and with my Desktop DAW running Win 7 64 bit. 

I've had nothing but problems trying to get a Firewire device to work with my Acer Laptop.  It has the Ricoh chipset and neither an Alesis IO26 or a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 will work with this chip.  I bought an express card with a T.I. chipset and the Alesis seemed to connect OK but the Saffire Pro 40 still had problems with it and I was getting "blue screens" (halts) with the Saffire Pro 40. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    dr.hash
    Re:Need PreSonus Firepod & Laptop advice... 2010/08/26 18:27:09 (permalink)
    Mesh

Positively Charged

I

From the little research I've done, I'm very inclined to agree with you (especially when it comes to Laptops). Thanks Positive for your positive comments.... 

My buddy's now looking for an audio interface (USB) with 4+ in/outs (hopefully under $300). Any opinion(s) on the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8x8? 

No on the M-Audio stuff, it is too grainy and rough around the mids.  The converters just sound horrible.  I know the delta stuff was pretty good 10 years ago but what they produce in terms of audio interfaces now is just horrible.  This may be a bit of a leap and conspiracy like but it has something to do with AVID, Pro Tools and who is in bed with who.

I have just brought a Lexicon I.Onix u42s and will stick with USB interfaces if I can for the rest of my life, except Pro Tools M-BOX this is a USB interface (Rubbish, Rubbish ,Rubbish, did I mention that they were rubbish.

The Lexicon stuff from what I have read has been poo poo'ed in the past no more.  The I.Onix series has three flavours 2,4 and 8 in's and comes with DBX Pre-Amps.  This is my recommendation.

Although I have a theory why I am having trouble with my Firewire interface and laptop and will be testing this out in a day or so.

Viva la Revolution

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1