Need a new laptop

Author
mikeman353
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2011/01/05 21:00:58 (permalink)

Need a new laptop

Hi everyone,

I am looking to get a new laptop, I got my desktop in '04 and it just isn't cutting it anymore.  I've been looking at an HP DV7T.  Basically it would be used at home to record demos.  I run a few synths: Superior Drummer 2.0, plus Demension LE, and plugins.  I will probably be upgrading to Sonar 8.5 PE from Sonar  PE, and I will need a new interface, as I am currently using an M-Audio Omni I/O.  I was thinking about a USB 2.0 interface, but could also look into something firwire.  Specs on the laptop are below.  Do you think this will run Sonar 8.5 or X1 smoothly, with plugins and VST synths?

I would like to go the laptop route, rather thank desktop as I would like to be able to record/mix on the go.  Thanks!

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-380M Dual Core Processor (2.53 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) Intel(R) HD Graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Dual Core Processors FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support Dolby(TM) audio + Altec Lansing speakers 2-year hardware limited warranty

post edited by mikeman353 - 2011/01/05 21:08:39

10 Replies Related Threads

jcschild
      Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
      • Total Posts : 3409
      Re:Need a new laptop 2011/01/06 09:11:20 (permalink)

Scott
      ADK
      Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
      windsurfer25x
      Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
      • Total Posts : 1120
      Re:Need a new laptop 2011/01/06 12:16:41 (permalink)
      I also recommend going with a DAW builder,

From someone who is not affiliated with any of them. I'm just speaking from personal experience, you will save yourself a lot of headache's and you will have pro support if/when you have computer/hardware related problems.

For computer manufacturers, semi-pro/pro audio users are definitely in the minority and the requirements we need from computers are very specific and unique to us. Such that an off the shelf laptop that is fine for modest to hardcore gaming, internet and office use could in fact encounter numerous problems when being used for audio. 

if you go off the shelf, do so at your own peril, it may work out for you, or you may encounter several annoying to show-stopping problems. 

Good luck

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
      Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

sandman5000
      Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
      • Total Posts : 882
      Re:Need a new laptop 2011/01/06 21:07:13 (permalink)
      mikeman353

Hi everyone,

I am looking to get a new laptop, I got my desktop in '04 and it just isn't cutting it anymore.  I've been looking at an HP DV7T.  Basically it would be used at home to record demos.  I run a few synths: Superior Drummer 2.0, plus Demension LE, and plugins.  I will probably be upgrading to Sonar 8.5 PE from Sonar  PE, and I will need a new interface, as I am currently using an M-Audio Omni I/O.  I was thinking about a USB 2.0 interface, but could also look into something firwire.  Specs on the laptop are below.  Do you think this will run Sonar 8.5 or X1 smoothly, with plugins and VST synths?

I would like to go the laptop route, rather thank desktop as I would like to be able to record/mix on the go.  Thanks!

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-380M Dual Core Processor (2.53 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) Intel(R) HD Graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Dual Core Processors FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support Dolby(TM) audio + Altec Lansing speakers 2-year hardware limited warranty

For what you want to do,  that laptop will be more than fine.  I do a lot more than that on an i3 acer.  Just use a USB interface with good drivers.  I currently use two.  A VS100 (love it.  super low latency,  integrates with Sonar, sounds goood,  stand alone recorder..many features).   I also use a PCR A 30.  That one I also get low latency,  but it sounds pretty bad.

But pretty much any modern laptop,  when used with a good USB sound card will work very well.  Provided you also tweak the laptop (turn off wifi,  disable services, remove un-needed software,  etc..,).   Most important tweak I did was disable the wifi,  set the power option to high performance ,  and disabled the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery in control  panel.  

Don't believe the scare tactics. You don't need to spend a lot  for a reliable laptop (unless you want to)  or think that laptops in general won't work and not use them.    As I said,  most will work just fine with a good USB sound card and if they are properly tweaked. 
        post edited by sandman5000 - 2011/01/06 21:11:16
        mikeman353
        Re:Need a new laptop 2011/01/06 21:17:48 (permalink)
        Thanks for the help.  It seems like it would be enough for what I need to do.  What USB interfaces do you guys recommend?
        sandman5000
        Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
        • Total Posts : 882
        Re:Need a new laptop 2011/01/06 21:22:55 (permalink)
        mikeman353

Thanks for the help.  It seems like it would be enough for what I need to do.  What USB interfaces do you guys recommend?

How much do you want to spend?  RME is pretty much the best,  but a little expensive. 
        I use the VS-100.  I was very fortunate and found it at Best Buy for $200. 
        mikeman353
        Re:Need a new laptop 2011/01/06 22:02:06 (permalink)
        I would say under around 500 or less
        Jim Roseberry
        Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
        • Total Posts : 9871
        Re:Need a new laptop 2011/01/06 23:17:49 (permalink)
        I would say under around 500 or less

At the $500 mark, have a look at the FastTrack Ultra 8R.
        Good sound, solid x64 drivers, and low round-trip latency (something only a couple USB audio interfaces deliver)

If you go off-the-shelf laptop, you definitely want to go with a USB audio interface.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
        jim@studiocat.com
        www.studiocat.com
        Alinathomas
        • Total Posts : 3
        Re:Need a new laptop 2011/01/10 05:02:39 (permalink)
        Who want to a new laptop I prefer a laptop of apple which was a very nice company. I am also using a laptop of apple and never get a problem of any kind. So prefer a configuration of 4 GB ram and 1 TB HDD and a graphics card of 1 GB which was an important in some heavy graphic related application.
        Guitarhacker
        Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
        • Total Posts : 24398
        Re:Need a new laptop 2011/01/10 08:52:19 (permalink)
        Reading Jim's post in the other thread makes me realize just how fortunate I was when I bought my laptop. I knew nothing about music recording, laptops, drivers, or chip set compatibility.  It worked well, and most will work OK, until you really start to push them hard.

Latency & Firewire is the biggest problems... if the drivers and chip sets are not right they can be nothing but trouble. My Dell apparently had the right chip sets. Latency was low enough that it never presented a problem while working with synths.

Understand that Jim's advice against buying this lappy for a DAW is based on his experience in building top of the line boxes that are built and designed to give professional level performance. 

As a hobbyist, the HP might work fine.... but at least you know the pitfalls and shortcomings of the lappy you're planning to buy.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/01/10 08:53:21

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
        Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
        ruby1058
        • Total Posts : 5
        Re:Need a new laptop 2011/02/08 03:58:29 (permalink)
        I prefer the laptop of the DELL company. It was nice company in electronic and mostly it was known for the Laptop. It will give good configuration and we did not get any problem in its hardware. Dell provide good service to their users.
        Jump to:
        © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1