Need advice on XLR "outs" from crossover hardware to monitors please.

Author
Billy86
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 362
2018/08/02 19:40:01 (permalink)

Need advice on XLR "outs" from crossover hardware to monitors please.

I'm adding a Behringer CX 2310 crossover to my signal flow so I can add up a powered sub to my set-up. (Yes, the sub has a crossover in it, but it only has unbalanced connections and created the hum you might expect from unbalanced connections. Long story short, I can't use the crossover in the sub, so I'm using an external hardware one to handle that duty.)

MY QUESTION: I need XLR cables (L/R) to come out of the crossover and into a pair of Rokit 6 powered monitors. I have a couple of extra mic cables that seem to fit the bill as far as connectors (XLR male to XLR female). Can I use those for signal coming from the crossover unit to the monitors, or is there some kind of mismatch impedance or something... or whatever. I'm no electrical engineer.

Would like to not have to buy more cables if I can use some I have. Thanks for any advice!

Windows 10 x64 on a Dell/Intel i5, 500 Gig SSD, 32 gig RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Sonar Professional, Melodyne 4 Assistant, Kurzweil SP-76 stage piano, Baldwin RP 100 digital upright, Novation Impulse 25, Breedlove Pursuit Concert Acous/Elec, Fender American Standard Tele, Fender G-DEC 30 modeling amp, Sigma DM-5 Acoustic, Ovation MCS148 Celebrity Acous/Elec. Mandolin, Roland V-Drums TD-11KV, AKG P220, Yamaha MG82CX mixer, KRK Rokit 6 Powered Monitors, PreSonus FaderPort

4 Replies Related Threads

GaryMedia
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re: Need advice on XLR "outs" from crossover hardware to monitors please. 2018/08/02 22:05:25 (permalink)
    Here's a link to the best article that addresses your connection issue:
    [http://www.rane.com/note110.html ]

The short answer is that XLR pins 2 and 1 are the signal and ground (respectively) for unbalanced RCA inputs to the subwoofer.  Impedance does not enter itself as an issue in this situation, but it's still possible that hum problems can arise depending on how the audio 'ground' reference winds up being equivalent between the PC, the crossover, and the subwoofer. 

Write more questions as they arise. 

CbB Win10 | Mac Pro 12-core 3.33GHz/48GB | TCL 55" 4K UHD | 480GB SSD | 6TB HDD RAID-5 array| 1.5TB SSD RAID-0 array | Midas M32 | 2x Audient ASP800 |  UAD-2 Duo PCIe | Adam A7X.
    http://www.tedlandstudio.com/articles
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Need advice on XLR "outs" from crossover hardware to monitors please. 2018/08/03 00:58:09 (permalink)
    Balanced lines to balanced lines should be no problem. XLR, TRS doesn't make a difference as long as they are balanced. 

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    Billy86
    Re: Need advice on XLR "outs" from crossover hardware to monitors please. 2018/08/03 03:34:48 (permalink)
    GaryMedia
    Here's a link to the best article that addresses your connection issue:
    [http://www.rane.com/note110.html ]

The short answer is that XLR pins 2 and 1 are the signal and ground (respectively) for unbalanced RCA inputs to the subwoofer.  Impedance does not enter itself as an issue in this situation, but it's still possible that hum problems can arise depending on how the audio 'ground' reference winds up being equivalent between the PC, the crossover, and the subwoofer. 

Write more questions as they arise.

Thanks very much. There may be more. The article is amazingly instructive. I “think” I get it. :) cables are on their way. I will be going out on the crossover, balanced XLR, to the sub, unbalanced RCA “in”. Crossover to powered monitors are straight XLR. We’ll see how it goes. Thanks again.

Windows 10 x64 on a Dell/Intel i5, 500 Gig SSD, 32 gig RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Sonar Professional, Melodyne 4 Assistant, Kurzweil SP-76 stage piano, Baldwin RP 100 digital upright, Novation Impulse 25, Breedlove Pursuit Concert Acous/Elec, Fender American Standard Tele, Fender G-DEC 30 modeling amp, Sigma DM-5 Acoustic, Ovation MCS148 Celebrity Acous/Elec. Mandolin, Roland V-Drums TD-11KV, AKG P220, Yamaha MG82CX mixer, KRK Rokit 6 Powered Monitors, PreSonus FaderPort
    Billy86
    Re: Need advice on XLR "outs" from crossover hardware to monitors please. 2018/08/03 03:38:03 (permalink)
    ampfixer
    Balanced lines to balanced lines should be no problem. XLR, TRS doesn't make a difference as long as they are balanced. 

Cool , thanks. Crossover to powered monitors will be balanced XLR. Crossover to sub will be balanced XLR out to unbalanced RCA in on sub, the only connection option there.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1