Need help: Organizing MIDI/Audio Files

Author
bluezguy
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 82
2005/08/08 07:57:38 (permalink)

Need help: Organizing MIDI/Audio Files

OK...It's taken me almost a year to get a handle on this software, synthesis, concepts etc., and I'm recording quite satisfactorily with my new tapeless environment.

My biggest problem is finding my millions of files.

Where in Scott's Sonar 3 Power book/ Sonar 4 manual (or can you explain) can I find where to store my Midi and Audio files? Chapter 3 in Customizing Sonar shows me audio placement but what about my MIDI drums?

I have 2 SATA 120GB hard drives...
the 1st one is partitioned into 2 halves - one half holding my XP Pro and all my music apps like Sonar, Sound Forge etc. The 2nd half is empty.

I read I needed a second hard drive as a dedicated hard drive for AUDIO ONLY. Now does this mean all my libraries of audio loops as well as all audio I create in Sonar and elsewhere are all located to this 120GB drive??

Where do my Midi Files get stored?
The only MIDI files I use are drum/percussion things.

I write a song, create the entire '4 minute' MIDI drum part out of a five piece kit...play a live bass, couple guitars and a lead vocal with some harmonies. So now where do I save this work of art to?

Now that I can actually wow folks with what comes out of my home studio, I really need to get this file organization thing happening.
Sonar 3 Power mentions it in chapter 3 but I'm not following it. Can someone please simplify it for me more?? Thanks!!!

Tricone

11 Replies Related Threads

LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: Need help: Organizing MIDI/Audio Files 2005/08/08 08:07:12 (permalink)
    2 drive organization:

1st (boot) drive: Windows and all program files, non-music data
    2nd drive: all audio samples and midi files, all Sonar projects with "per project folders" option active

MIDI file per se are very small, so it doesn't really matter where they are stored; the above configuration makes backups easier.

loop

bluezguy
    RE: Need help: Organizing MIDI/Audio Files 2005/08/08 08:11:29 (permalink)
    Loop Junkie.
    So I created that partition on my main drive for nothing??? To confirm then - put all work files on the dedicated HD...that includes all midi??

Tricone

LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: Need help: Organizing MIDI/Audio Files 2005/08/08 08:17:42 (permalink)
    So I created that partition on my main drive for nothing??? To confirm then - put all work files on the dedicated HD...that includes all midi??

Basically Yes to both - but like I said, MIDI isn't critical in any way, my advice allows to make backup of all music files simple.

I'd use the second partition on the first HD for other data files: office, graphics, spreadsheets, documentation, ... whatever.

loop

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: Need help: Organizing MIDI/Audio Files 2005/08/08 08:23:54 (permalink)
    Partitioning really does not get you very much. Depending on the OS. the filesystem and the size of the drive, partitioning can be used as part of the tuning process to optimize the allocation units available to the operating system but that is generally more trouble than it is worth.

Mutliple drives on the otherhand can have an impact. The more disk platters, spindles and r/w arms in play, the faster the disk I/O.

So, forget about partitioning, use a good directory structure for each drive mounted on your system and you should be happy with the results.

To default file locations are defined under OPTIONS->GLOBAL.

I would recommend putting all data files, MIDI, WAV, whatever on the second drive.
    post edited by scook - 2005/08/08 08:29:10
    Paul G
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2334
    RE: Need help: Organizing MIDI/Audio Files 2005/08/08 08:26:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bluezguy

Loop Junkie.

Jake:

What Loopie says is fine. You could also place them on the other half of your first drive. Some samples and audio is streamed to and from the HD. Midi on the other hand is loaded on demand and will stay in ram.

Again, as Loopie says midi are very small files. For backup purposes I have most of mine organized by style and use. Once the midi is in a cwp file, it stays there of course.

Hope this rampling helps.

Paul

BTW, where in west central Florida? I'm south of the bay.

EDIT: Too late again
    post edited by Paul G - 2005/08/08 08:33:41

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
    1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
    Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    bluezguy
    RE: Need help: Organizing MIDI/Audio Files 2005/08/08 08:41:00 (permalink)
    Thank You everybody for your valued comments!!!

Hey Paul...New Port Richey...you don't happen to play bass guitar do ya??? I need a Blues bassist for some up & coming union gigs.

Jake

Tricone

Paul G
    RE: Need help: Organizing MIDI/Audio Files 2005/08/08 08:50:32 (permalink)

Thank You everybody for your valued comments!!!

Hey Paul...New Port Richey...you don't happen to play bass guitar do ya??? I need a Blues bassist for some up & coming union gigs.

Jake

Hey Jake:

I'm in Bradenton. Yeah I played bass and guiar but I haven't giged in six or seven years. Too much work and not enough money. Hope you find someone though. BTW, what is union scale now? Last time I did a union gig, the agent made more than we did!

Paul

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    bluezguy
    RE: Need help: Organizing MIDI/Audio Files 2005/08/08 11:47:37 (permalink)
    Hey Paul,

Got a grand for 3 hours at GM building show in downtown DEtroit. Ya gotta get outta Florida to make a decent pay scale.

Tricone

Paul G
    RE: Need help: Organizing MIDI/Audio Files 2005/08/08 11:59:41 (permalink)

Hey Paul,

Got a grand for 3 hours at GM building show in downtown DEtroit. Ya gotta get outta Florida to make a decent pay scale.

No doubt about it! How many pieces?

Paul
    post edited by Paul G - 2005/08/08 12:05:02

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    bluezguy
    RE: Need help: Organizing MIDI/Audio Files 2005/08/08 19:06:20 (permalink)
    I've only had power trios since 1971. This particular one was Detroit's Demolition Blues Band. I formed and had that show from 1994 to 2003. It' always been a road act from Toronto to Texas to Tennessee. Now that was only a one-night special gig at a special event. Usual contracts ranged from 550 to 750...depending on mileage.
    It's been a career gig for me...you never get decent money in the place you live...you'll always do pretty good if you decide to play for the people and get a grip on the fact that you are entertaining...not self-indulging.
    I'm currently trying to breakout out again before I get too old but I'll tell ya - the guys who wanna go for it are fewer and further between than I've ever experienced before.

Tricone

Paul G
    RE: Need help: Organizing MIDI/Audio Files 2005/08/09 09:05:29 (permalink)

I've only had power trios since 1971. This particular one was Detroit's Demolition Blues Band. I formed and had that show from 1994 to 2003. It' always been a road act from Toronto to Texas to Tennessee. Now that was only a one-night special gig at a special event. Usual contracts ranged from 550 to 750...depending on mileage.
    It's been a career gig for me...you never get decent money in the place you live...you'll always do pretty good if you decide to play for the people and get a grip on the fact that you are entertaining...not self-indulging.
    I'm currently trying to breakout out again before I get too old but I'll tell ya - the guys who wanna go for it are fewer and further between than I've ever experienced before.

I know what you're saying Jake. My last 6 years working was as a midi duo. We made pretty good money, but each job was a 8-10 hour day even locally! (I had a masive setup) The gigs got harder to get and I got older and more tired. Now I spend my spare time writing and recording.

Maybe I can catch your show sometime. Good luck.

Paul

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1