Need help getting my guitar to sound right please :)

Author
Brandto
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2011/09/16 07:11:01 (permalink)

Need help getting my guitar to sound right please :)

Ok, I posted this i  the 'songs' forum yesterday, but seeing as nobody replied I realised it probably should have gone in to the folder. Please please, if you do read this and have ANY help/advice for a complete newbie on how to get my guitar tracks sounding great, I'd really appreciate it! :) Here goes...

Ok, so I'm a complete newbie to this music recording malarkey! A few months ago I downloaded Music Creator 5 and Amplitube 3, bought a Saffire 6 USB interface, a sE2000 condenser mic, a £200 Yamaha electric guitar (I also have a cheap acoustic) and set about recording a song I wrote ages ago (on my Dell laptop, running Win7 64 bit - hope that covers everything?) 

The main things I'm struggling with is getting the main guitar riff to sound right - it just seems to sound a bit 'wavy' to me, like you can tell it's been run through a computer, and I'm not sure how to sort it out. It was recorded with my electric guitar, running straight into the Sapphire 6 interface. I then added the amplitube effect, clicked the 'bypass' option on the cab (never seems to have enough 'presence' if I run it through a cab?) and played around with all the knobs etc as best as I could. I've added a link to a small sample of the song I quickly put together, so that hopefully you pros can advise me on where I'm going wrong! :) I would also like it to have more presence, it all seems a little 'tinny' and faint compared to the songs on my itunes etc....if that makes any sense - I apologise for my lack of jargon, ha! Is there any other effects/processes I should be using besides Amplitube? 

I also appreciate that my equipment is real entry level stuff, but as I have no previous experience I have no idea how much sound quality to expect! 

Many thanks :) 

http://soundcloud.com/brandto/abigail-sample 

10 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Need help getting my guitar to sound right please :) 2011/09/16 07:21:09 (permalink)
    It was recorded with my electric guitar, running straight into the Sapphire 6 interface.

This could well be your problem.

Most inputs on your average interface don't work well with the signal from electric guitars.

Without getting into the electronic side of things, your best bet would be to buy a DI box and insert this between guitar & interface.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Need help getting my guitar to sound right please :) 2011/09/16 08:29:11 (permalink)
    Getting a good guitar sound is a case of trial & error. 

You can mic the amp. Here, the position of the mic in relation to the speaker(s) is just as important as the tone on the guitar and the amp. Just because you have a sweet guitar tone on the amp that is perfect does not mean sticking a mic in a speaker grill will capture that tone. It takes time & effort to get it right.  Record, Listen...... move mic... record listen.... move mic..... etc... just keep GOOD NOTES. 

Second.... you can use a pre-amp or something like a POD to get your guitar tone.  I currently use a POD2. I run the guitar to the POD2 (red kidney bean gizmo) and run the POD2 output to my interface. I listen to the sound through the monitors and get it to sound like I want. Then, when I hit record I know it WILL sound exactly like that on playback. The POD has a very wide range of tonal possibilities and it's very easy to set up and use, which is why I have used it for so long. 

I have experimented with the amp simulators and have not found them to be appealing. Some people here have spent the time to play around with them and get them sounding quite good. I prefer to get the sound right before I send it to the interface rather than trying to fiddle with it "in the box".... I'm old school, but I like to hear it like it's gonna be. 

As you listen to songs in the songs forum, and you hear a guitar tone that you like, just ask the person about the details on the guitar. Most will willingly share the details of the sound and how they got it. 

Running a guitar straight into an interface will most often be to clean and thin sounding to really use. So grab some sort of "treatment" either an amp with a DI box, a POD or similar, or a designated guitar pre-amp to create the sound you want... going IN. 
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/09/16 08:30:15

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Need help getting my guitar to sound right please :) 2011/09/16 10:06:04 (permalink)

I then added the amplitube effect, clicked the 'bypass' option on the cab (never seems to have enough 'presence' if I run it through a cab?)

There is already a lot of good advice in this thread, but I find this sentence a little odd.

The opening riff sounds like you are trying to get an "acoustic" sound out of an electric. It sounds exactly the way my strat or tele does when I go direct.  
    • If you want it to sound like an electric - don't bypass the cab in Amplitude, that is part of the electric's charm. Try different options to find the tone you are after.
    • If you want it to sound like an acoustic - use an acoustic and avoid Amplitude all together.
    The big thing about electric guitar is learning what combinations create certain sounds.
    Guitar > FX > Amplifier > Speakers > Microphone > Microphone Technique

It is very rare that the speakers (cabs) are ever taken out of the equation with an electric guitar.
    The nice thing about Amp Sims is that you can mix/match almost everything other than the guitar itself. Both the software sims (Amplitude) and hardware such as the Line 6 Products can do this. I'm a bigger fan of hardware (get the sound going in) but the software can work as well.
    post edited by codamedia - 2011/09/16 10:11:14

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Brandto
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Need help getting my guitar to sound right please :) 2011/09/16 11:08:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for all your answers guys, really appreciated!

I went to the guitar shop and mentioned a DI box, and the guy there said that just running it through my amp (it's only a £40 Peavey 26 watts) and then in to my interface would be just as good, as the Saffire 6 isn't necessarily the best for handling a raw guitar signal (?) So I bought a stereo insert cable and have been playing with that. There were some background noise issues at first, but strangely unplugging my laptop seemed to have sorted those. There still is a faint 'hiss' in the background whilst playing the guitar, but this could b to do with the fact my amp is really cheap!? I like the sound of the POD2, so I think I will save up for one of them anyway!

You're right codamedia, I was after a more acoustic sound for the opening riff, but never seemed to get the sound right using my condenser mic and acoustic guitar - I think I shall just have to try again with that. I seem to remember there being a lot of background noise when I tried last, what do I need to play around with to reduce this?

I know these are probably real entry level questions I'm asking, it's so tricky trying to figure all this stuff out from scratch with nobody to guide. Don't get me started on buses, sends, compressors, EQs.....I've got plenty to learn!!! :/

Thanks again though guys!
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Need help getting my guitar to sound right please :) 2011/09/16 13:29:09 (permalink)
    I seem to remember there being a lot of background noise when I tried last, what do I need to play around with to reduce this?

When recording an acoustic with a microphone the only noise that should be present is room noise. The only way around room noise is to isolate yourself somehow to get away from the computer fan, flushing toilet or barking dog

Pre-amp noise may also exist but should not be too bad. If it is beyond manageable, then something is not right.

Good luck!

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Need help getting my guitar to sound right please :) 2011/09/16 14:25:19 (permalink)
    Brandto

Thanks for all your answers guys, really appreciated!

I went to the guitar shop and mentioned a DI box, and the guy there said that just running it through my amp (it's only a £40 Peavey 26 watts) and then in to my interface would be just as good, as the Saffire 6 isn't necessarily the best for handling a raw guitar signal (?) So I bought a stereo insert cable and have been playing with that. There were some background noise issues at first, but strangely unplugging my laptop seemed to have sorted those. There still is a faint 'hiss' in the background whilst playing the guitar, but this could b to do with the fact my amp is really cheap!? I like the sound of the POD2, so I think I will save up for one of them anyway!

Thanks again though guys!

If you check out my music it's all POD2 on the guitars.  I found my POD2 on Ebay at a very good price in excellent condition.  I later found the 4 button foot switch same place for a decent price as well. 

Noise form the lappy plugged in could be power supply or ground related. Hiss is common in all amp circuits. Try to minimize it. Keep gain levels down.  

BMI/NSAI

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Need help getting my guitar to sound right please :) 2011/09/16 15:01:43 (permalink)
    Going direct shouldn't have any room noise - you are bypassing everything acoustic.

But I would try mic'ing the guitar and amp and seeing if that toasts your oats a little better.  Running through the amp can add to your sound, but it ain't the same as moving air.  Kinda like running the guitar sim w/o the cab.

Most guitar sims are too bright for my tastes (tho I'm not a guitarist).  Lots of people like 'em, so what do I know, I'm a flipping synth player.  But try the mic.  If not, look into a Radial DI box.  I'm not sure what kind of connection your Peavy amp is sending to its line output, but a good preamp/DI will work.  Does the have an instrument setting on its preamp?  Another thing to try.

Good hunting!

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Need help getting my guitar to sound right please :) 2011/09/16 19:51:11 (permalink)
    The noise you are getting may be coming from any electromagnetic fields caused by the laptop power transformer, or the laptop's monitor, etc.  If you're using single coil pickups - this stuff can get into the signal quite easily.  Even humbuckers are susceptible to this.  Unplugging the laptop, like you've done, reduced it.  The source may be coming from something else, like a cheap switch or dimmer, extension chord, and the act of unplugging the laptop cures it.  I had the same problem, and unplugging the laptop was a work-a-round that helped.  But I traced the problem to a cheap switch.  I leave the laptop plugged in all the time now, but sometimes I still pick up noise, and changing the angle of the guitar or putting distance between the guitar and the laptop is sometimes required, especially with my strat.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Need help getting my guitar to sound right please :) 2011/09/17 03:21:21 (permalink)
    Or do both.

Run your guitar into a DI box.

Take the Di'd output into your Saffire
    Take the direct out into your amp and stick a mic in front of it.

Record both signals and start experimenting with the different options you're now presented with

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Need help getting my guitar to sound right please :) 2011/09/17 10:42:32 (permalink)
    Monitors are in fact a source of noise for guitars if they are too close. The old CRT's were really bad for that.

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1