Need help please

Author
OffAnAirplane
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1386
2009/03/04 14:16:37 (permalink)

Need help please

I have a question and I don't really know which forum to put it in. But I know that there's probably someone here who knows the answer.

So here goes. And if this isn't the place for it, I'll ask it again somewhere else.

I bought a program that converts powerpoint (PPT) files to video files. It can convert to MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, MOV, AVI, and a couple others.

What I am using this for is I have songs which I import into powerpoint and create slides with the lyrics, and automate the slide changing to be in sync with the music. Well, I would like to be able to use this on computers that don't have powerpoint, and even on my iPod video.

I have used the trial version of this software a few times, and you can tell it you are using this for an iPod and it automatically converts it to iPod format (MPeg4). Then I import it into iTunes which goes fine. But when I try to drag it into my iPod, it tells me the file can't be played on the iPod so I can't copy it onto the iPod. Then I could right-click on the file in iTunes and click "convert for iPod" or something like that and it would convert it and then I could copy it to the iPod and it would work fine.

Well, I bought the full version today (because I got tired of it saying "trial version" at the bottom of all my videos.) And I tried it again. I have also upgraded iTunes since the last time I tried this.

Now it does the same thing as before, but when I right-click the file in iTunes there is no longer an option for converting the file.

And the thing is, I don't even know why it converted it, or what it converted it to. Because it started out as an MPEG4 and ended up as an MPEG4. So I don't know what iTunes converted to make it playable by my iPod. But the file type is the same.

I am using a 5th generation iPod Video 80Gb.
I thought this iPod would play many types of video, but I don't know why it won't play these without converting them, and I don't know why I can't convert them anymore.

I have another converter program, but I don't know what to convert them to so that the iPod would accept them.

I sent an email to the software maker of the PPT-2-Video program, but I haven't heard back yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/04 14:23:04

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

12 Replies Related Threads

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Need help please 2009/03/04 14:52:29 (permalink)
    I think Apple fiercely try to keep their revenue stream flowing by having as much proprietary nonsense attached to their products as possible and as soon as some smart Alec gets around it they patch it up again.

Which is why I wouldn't touch anything with an Apple logo on it any more.

My suggestion would be to choose something which is less fussy about standard formats and doesn't try to hijack your system with DRM hacks.

This board is constantly spammed by people trying to flog these half-baked converters which wouldn't be necessary if people didn't fall for the Apple hype in the first place and at best will only work until iNewformat gets put into place. Apple put the bloody cheek into chic IMO. They make MS look like a fair-trade company.

Well that's what iThink FWIW.

I sent an email to the software maker of the PPT-2-Video program, but I haven't heard back yet.

Most people would take this route when it would make more sense to me to badger the scamsters at Apple but most seem to be resigned that they won't get any joy from the actual source of the problem. I'd take my iGoods and shove it up the Apple marketing dept's left nostril cut my losses and go get a better featured media player for half the cost....there are plenty around.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/03/04 15:09:38

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: Need help please 2009/03/04 14:57:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

I think Apple fiercely try to keep their revenue stream flowing by having as much proprietary nonsense attached to their products as possible and as soon as some smart Alec gets around it they patch it up again.

Which is why I wouldn't touch anything with an Apple logo on it any more.

My suggestion would be to choose something which is less fussy about standard formats and doesn't try to hijack your system with DRM hacks.

This board is constantly spammed by people trying to flog these half-baked converters which wouldn't be necessary if people didn't fall for the Apple hype in the first place and at best will only work until iNewformat gets put into place. Apple put the bloody cheek into chic IMO. They make MS look like a fair-trade company.

Well that's what iThink FWIW.

Well, buying a Zune isn't a possibility right now. And other than this one inconvenience I have been very happy with my iPod and even iTunes for the last couple of years.

Thanks for the advice, but I'd rather find another workaround than shell out the dough for a Zune when I already have an iPod. Plus my car stereo and home stereo are both equipped with iPod docks, and not Zune docks.
    post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/04 15:04:12

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    Jonbouy
    RE: Need help please 2009/03/04 15:06:46 (permalink)
    Well why bully the little guy that makes the converter why not take it up at source and the folk that are outrageously preventing you from playing standard media formats on their 'crippled unless you play our media' media player?

Because you know full well you won't get anywhere with them I suspect...now theres good customer relations right there.

But hey you've got all the boutique stuff to go with it so they have you by the 'nads already, so solely download from iTunes like the good boy they want you to be.

Hey I'm not giving advice here I just rant at the outrageousness of it whenever I hear it.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/03/04 15:18:21

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Need help please 2009/03/04 15:19:50 (permalink)
    Now it does the same thing as before, but when I right-click the file in iTunes there is no longer an option for converting the file.

That's probably a Quicktime Pro function, and I remember the last QT update had an important warning some of those might get disabled in existing software after updating.

So I decided not to, since my Premiere Pro also uses QT, works fine, and I didn't want to go through any reinstall hassle.

So that *could* well be your problem, and rolling back to the previous QT version might do the trick.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: Need help please 2009/03/04 15:30:56 (permalink)

Well why bully the little guy that makes the converter why not take it up at source and the folk that are outrageously preventing you from playing standard media formats on their 'crippled unless you play our media' media player?

Because you know full well you won't get anywhere with them I suspect...now theres good customer relations right there.

But hey you've got all the boutique stuff to go with it so they have you by the 'nads already, so solely download from iTunes like the good boy they want you to be.

Hey I'm not giving advice here I just rant at the outrageousness of it whenever I hear it.

I'm not bullying the software company. I asked them a question assuming maybe I was doing something wrong, they might be able to correct me.

You know as well as I that Apple isn't going to change their iPod to suit my needs. And even if they would, it wouldn't be the quick-fix I need.
    I am doing a weird thing here, and I don't expect it to be really simple. But I do expect it to be possible. I can convert my video file to whatever I want, I just need to know what to convert it to so that it will work with the iPod.

I have tons of regular old MP3's on my iPod. I have other videos which are not from iTunes as well. The iPod is usually pretty good about accepting other stuff besides Apple format. Which is why this surprised me.

You can hate the iPod if you want. I personally like it much better than a Zune. But you can find about a thousand iPod vs. Zune debates online if you look. It's a dumb argument as far as I am concerned. And it doesn't matter, because I've made my decision and I bought an iPod a while back. And I am not in the financial position to just throw it in the trash and buy a Zune because of an inconvenience. And if I could afford it I still wouldn't, because I don't like the Zune.

With all respect, I am asking how to do this with the equipment I have. I'm not asking for a recommendation for equipment. If the answer is "you can't do it with the equipment you have" then I'll just have to deal with that. But I'm pretty certain there is a way.

post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/04 15:41:23

OffAnAirplane
    RE: Need help please 2009/03/04 15:36:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

That's probably a Quicktime Pro function, and I remember the last QT update had an important warning some of those might get disabled in existing software after updating.

So I decided not to, since my Premiere Pro also uses QT, works fine, and I didn't want to go through any reinstall hassle.

So that *could* well be your problem, and rolling back to the previous QT version might do the trick.

That's what I was thinking of doing anyway. I just wanted to see if there was another way first. I still have the install file on my harddrive for the previous version of iTunes, but would that revert Quicktime as well, or would I have to do that seperately?
    Could I revert Quicktime to a previous version without reinstalling iTunes and get this done?

Like I said, I wish I knew what it was converting the videos to, because I have other programs I could do this with. I just don't know what format the iPod requires. And I don't know if it's just a format, or if it's a resolution or bit rate requirement.
    Because I'm fairly sure I'm in the correct format already. MPeg4

post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/04 15:44:56

Jonbouy
    RE: Need help please 2009/03/04 15:44:55 (permalink)
    Indeed you are correct and I unreservedly apologize for my rant.

I'm still sore at them for what I see as swiping £100 from my daughters xmas money a year ago for something she can't use now.

But it's no excuse for letting a cloud of red mist off on your thread.

OffAnAirplane
    RE: Need help please 2009/03/04 15:51:47 (permalink)

Indeed you are correct and I unreservedly apologize for my rant.

I'm still sore at them for what I see as swiping £100 from my daughters xmas money a year ago for something she can't use now.

But it's no excuse for letting a cloud of red mist off on your thread.

No big deal, thanks for the apology.

And incidentally I just figured out what to do.
    There is still the converting option in the new iTunes, it's just in a different place. Instead of being in the right-click menu, it's under the advanced menu at the top. Problem solved.

Roflcopter
    RE: Need help please 2009/03/04 16:03:40 (permalink)
    Could I revert Quicktime to a previous version without reinstalling iTunes and get this done?

I'm not sure, they always come bundled, tho - so maybe keep that 1 on 1 - you could always *try*, tho.

Roflcopter
    RE: Need help please 2009/03/04 16:05:33 (permalink)
    There is still the converting option in the new iTunes, it's just in a different place. Instead of being in the right-click menu, it's under the advanced menu at the top. Problem solved.

Ah, had missed that. Good to see it's solved.

OffAnAirplane
    RE: Need help please 2009/03/04 16:13:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Ah, had missed that. Good to see it's solved.

I still would like to know what format iTunes is converting them to, so I could just create them in the format and eliminate the need for conversion. But if not, I can at least get the job done now.

Thanks all.

It went from 7.8Mb to 10.4Mb after iTunes converted it.

here are the details of the old file a new file according to iTunes.

Old File:
    Size = 7.8Mb
    Kind = MPEG-4 Video file
    Bit rate = 111kbps
    Total bit rate = 233kbps
    Video dimensions = 640x480
    Channels = Stereo
    Profile = Low Complexity
    Video Codec = MPEG-4

New File:
    Size = 10.4Mb
    Kind = MPEG-4 Video file
    Bit rate = 124kbps
    Total bit rate = 311kbps
    Video dimensions = 640x480
    Channels = Stereo
    Profile = Low Complexity
    Video Codec = H.264

Out of all that, the bit rate and video codec seem to be the only differences.
    Would either of those matter?
    In my software I used to create these videos I can choose H.264 codec, but I can't choose bit rate. I can only choose frame rate.

post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/04 16:28:37

OffAnAirplane
    RE: Need help please 2009/03/04 16:26:55 (permalink)
    Well I checked and I do have some video files on my iPod that have the MPEG-4 codec. So that can't be it.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1