Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi

Author
rpmfd
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 62
2010/07/24 10:24:01 (permalink)

Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi

I'm using GPO4 as a vst plug-in. Sounds ggggreat. But a lot of wacky stuff is going on.

1. If i make a change in the plug-in, let's say volume, it immediately resets when I hit stop.

2. I can edit the velocity all I want but, it has no effects when the note is played. The note is always the same loudness when played regardless of what I set the velocity to.

3. Scale velocity, does not work either. I need some notes to swell, and it too has no effect.

25 Replies Related Threads

stickman393
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1528
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 11:18:31 (permalink)
    rpmfd

I'm using GPO4 as a vst plug-in. Sounds ggggreat. But a lot of wacky stuff is going on.

1. If i make a change in the plug-in, let's say volume, it immediately resets when I hit stop.

2. I can edit the velocity all I want but, it has no effects when the note is played. The note is always the same loudness when played regardless of what I set the velocity to.

3. Scale velocity, does not work either. I need some notes to swell, and it too has no effect.

I don't think GPO4 responds to velocity the way you expect. It uses mod wheel or expression pedal to control volume. Perform swells using mod/expression. (Sorry, can't recall the controller numbers, I suck)

The reset of the volume upon stop is because SONAR is sending "zero controllers" and that includes the expression/mod values. I got around this by turning off "zero controllers upon stop" in SONAR.

I hope this helps.
    rpmfd
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 11:43:47 (permalink)
    It helps, but I don't know what you may mean. How do I alter the mod/expression? Can it be altered by punching in numbers? I don't have a controller. Well, I have one but, I'm unable to resolve the latency issue, so I have to punch everything in by mouse and keyboard.

I'll look for this "zero controllers upon stop", but if you know where it is, let me know ;)
    retired_account
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 12:35:30 (permalink)
    Options>Project>MIDI Out - then un-check "Zero controllers
    rpmfd
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 12:45:25 (permalink)
    it was already unchecked
    rpmfd
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 12:46:33 (permalink)
    what is controlling expression when using a vst plug in?

stickman393
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1528
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 13:17:54 (permalink)
    rpmfd

what is controlling expression when using a vst plug in?

I think it is CC1. 

But depending on what instrument you are addressing, it can vary a lot. See: http://www.garritan.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127&Itemid=134

This talks about some of the instrument-specific controls, but it's from the perspective of someone using a controller (MIDI keyboard). 

But this is all in the manual. Try pages 65-74.

Also, this thread on the forums here may help you a lot:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1998332&mpage=1&print=true

Rogeriodec is basically trying to do the same thing as you: Control a MIDI track of GPO using controllers edited in the PRV. And yeah, there are some issues.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 13:30:01 (permalink)
    Simply insert via the list view CC1 which is the Mod wheel. Set it to a number that you want volume to be at on start. From there use CC1 to adjust the volume which is used as expression but uses CC1 to operate in GPO. This is a non standard use of CC1 peculiar to GPO. 

Best
    John
    bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 13:46:10 (permalink)
    Velocity is not the same thing as volume, although most manufacturers make their sounds get louder as velocity increases because that's how things react, usually, in real life. In MID, though, they can be separate. MIDI Velocity relates to the intensity of the attack and MIDI Volume relates to the overall loudness of the track at any given point, such as with a fader on  a mixing console. You can have a bright high velocity attack but still have the overall volume set very low.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    rpmfd
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 14:04:36 (permalink)
    I appreciate all your help, but I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know what cc1 means, I don't know where to insert it in list view.

What I have is one note. A whole note. It will last for 4 beats. It's a trombone. I would like it to swell in, that is, start out a little low and raise to a higher velocity. In piano view, I can't seem to do that with one note. The draw tool only draws through multiple notes. To me, velocity only seems effected by the attack of the note. If that note is sustained, it doesn't seem to be able to be manipulated.

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 14:31:37 (permalink)
    Then you need to read up on Sonar and MIDI. CC1 is the mod wheel AKA modulation.

If when we use a standard term and you don't know what it is or means then a little home work is foretold in your future. 

Best
    John
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 14:43:09 (permalink)
    Hi, Rpmfd - I'm a long time GPO user, and a moderator at the Garritan Forum.  I can help you out - The replies you've gotten so far have probably been confusing since there are contradictions and uncertainties.

Covering the issues here as briefly as I can - and also pointing out that there's a detailed PDF manual that comes with GPO, explaining the unique things about the library very thoroughly:

--Velocity usually controls the volume of MIDI instruments, but for the most part, velocity does NOT control volume with the GPO instruments.  Percussion instruments (including piano) are the exceptions.  Velocity controls the attack envelope, so lower values will have a slower, softer attack, and higher values will have a more immediate and strident attack envelope.

--MIDI Controller #1 is usually used for controlling Vibrato in MIDI instruments, but the GPO programmers used it to control the volume of instruments.  It also controls the Timbre, so lower values will be slightly darker sounding, higher values will be brighter sounding.

--I understand you aren't using a physical controller for recording.  That's OK, you can still accomplish what you need in the Piano Roll View, using your mouse.

--Make sure in the PRV that you have selected "show controller lane."  That's where all possible MIDI controllers can be displayed, depending on what you ask to see in the menus at the upper left of that window.

--With the menu, ask to create a lane displaying "1"--that's MIDI Controller one.

--Using your trombone swell as an example, apply this theory to everything you do with GPO:

"...a trombone. I would like it to swell in, that is, start out a little low and raise to a higher velocity..."

You have the note already in the track.  Turn the Grid OFF.  While holding your computer's Ctrl key down, draw a ramp starting very low and going up as you span the length of the note.

You will now have your swell.

You don't want to just insert a few values of CC1 in the Event List.  CC1, volume, is meant to be constantly changing in GPO.  It's best if you can play it live with a Mod Wheel, so you can feel out the needed ebb and flow of each instrument's line - But second best is trying to feel out the same thing with your cursor, as described above.

That should get you out of where you've been stuck.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    rpmfd
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 14:50:07 (permalink)
    Well if I use the term legato, a lot of people here won't know what I'm talking about. Or at least a lot of people who are very good with DAWs. But that hasn't stopped them from asking any questions to bridge their gaps. I just needed a quick fix for some musical expression. I don't plan on spending my life on these boards trying to become an expert on sonar. Next time, please just stay out of it. If you want to lecture me on what I should be doing, save it. Just ignore the thread.
    rbowser
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 14:59:26 (permalink)
    rpmfd

Well if I use the term legato, a lot of people here won't know what I'm talking about. Or at least a lot of people who are very good with DAWs. But that hasn't stopped them from asking any questions to bridge their gaps. I just needed a quick fix for some musical expression. I don't plan on spending my life on these boards trying to become an expert on sonar. Next time, please just stay out of it. If you want to lecture me on what I should be doing, save it. Just ignore the thread.

---Are you talking to me, rpmfd?---  I spent time writing what I hoped would be a helpful reply to your question--I wasn't lecturing, I was informing.

You were replying to someone else, right?

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rpmfd
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 15:06:31 (permalink)
    Randy,

I can't find "show controller lane"

Who am I asking to create a lane displaying "1"

Basically, that little pencil icon, doesnt draw lines for me, it just lowers the velocity of the note
    rpmfd
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 15:07:36 (permalink)
    Randy,

I was replying to john
    rpmfd
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 15:19:12 (permalink)
    I have a question for you though, randy if you're an expert on GPO4.

What is the difference between standard and notation?
    rbowser
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 15:32:23 (permalink)
    Hello again, Rpmfd - I'm relieved to know that post wasn't directed at me!  I was --confused!

I've made a screen shot for you that will help you in the PRV:

On the right, I'm pointing to the "use controller pane" button.  I was away from Sonar earlier and didn't give you the exact name of the button.

On the left I'm pointing to the menu which you click to choose what controllers are displayed.

In this example, I'm using an instrument which responds to CC11 for "Expression/Volume" and CC1 for Vibrato.  The bottom pane/lane is CC64, which is the sustain pedal.

That should get you going better.

You have a new question about standard and notation GPO instruments.  They both sound the same, but the notation instruments are mapped differently in order to work properly in notation programs like Finale and Sibelius.  You want to choose the Standard instruments.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rpmfd
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 15:53:07 (permalink)
    Ok Randy, that did the trick, you da man. That's exactly what I was trying to do. And it was so simple.

The only thing that's confusing me is, CC1 and CC11 did the same thing? Keep in mind I tried this on the trombone.

I read the pdf manual, and corrtect me if I'm wrong, but "sustaining instruments are different from percussive instruments as far as thing CC thing is concerned?
    rpmfd
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 15:54:14 (permalink)
    Oh and thanks Randy.
    rbowser
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 16:03:21 (permalink)
    Hello again - Great, I'm glad the screenshot helped.

I did that picture in my current project - That instrument isn't GPO, didn't mean for that to be confusing.  It was a generic example.  That particular instrument responds to CC11 for volume and CC1 for Vibrato.  That's the way many MIDI instruments are controlled.

But your GPO trombone, and all the brass, strings, woodwinds in GPO have their volume controlled by CC1.  Some, not all, have their vibrato controlled by After Touch - also accessible through the menu in the PRV.

The GPO percussion instruments - including piano, have their volume controlled only by velocity - higher the value, louder the hit.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 16:25:05 (permalink)
    I wont ignore the thread but please remind me to ignore you next time.

BTW those terms are basic. Not knowing them shows a lack of preparation. It is rude to ask others to do one's own work.

Best
    John
    rpmfd
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 16:58:42 (permalink)
    If you ignore MY threads, I won't have to remind you. But that's pretty basic, right douche?
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 17:19:53 (permalink)
    First off they are not your threads. They are the property of CW.

Second don't resort to name calling that will get you banned.

Best
    John
    rpmfd
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 18:18:08 (permalink)
    Lmao, you're like a 5 yo. You need a girl or something? I can hook you up.
    MrMook
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 589
    Re:Need help with sonar, gpo4,and midi 2010/07/24 18:27:05 (permalink)
    John is one of the most helpful members.

No need to start name calling.

Dave- 

SONAR Platinum

Intel i7 4790 360 GHz , 32 GB RAM, SR-22, UA-25EX, Win 7 x64, Too many Vsts and Effects.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1