Need some opinions on........

Author
Milt
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 781
2013/09/02 17:00:44 (permalink)

Need some opinions on........

....the Harrison Mixbus mastering EQ. I really like mixing and mastering in Mixbus, and have bought the essentials pack. The mastering EQ and the compressor are on sale until the 17th I believe, and they both look very interesting. Thanks!

8 Replies Related Threads

jimusic
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1325
    Re: Need some opinions on........ 2013/09/04 22:02:54 (permalink)
    You might get more replies by adding more words to your post title.

ie: Need Some Opinions On 'Harrison Mixbus mastering EQ'

cclarry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re: Need some opinions on........ 2013/09/04 22:11:33 (permalink)
    All I can say is I highly recommend them.....

rtucker55
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2177
    Re: Need some opinions on........ 2013/09/04 22:44:43 (permalink)
    I also purchased them while they were on sale but have not had much chance to use them yet.

The tutorials on the EQ's looked very interesting and I just received an email from Harrison saying they have added new YouTube videos to their collection. Also purchased the multiband comp on sale so I would have the entire package when I do get the time to ring it out.

Purrrfect Audio DAW here.  Wow!...
    Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re: Need some opinions on........ 2013/09/07 12:25:01 (permalink)
    I just got Mixbus this week, but didn't have $ for the extra plugs. I'm really looking forward to getting them!! I've heard great things about them.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Need some opinions on........ 2013/09/07 13:03:57 (permalink)
    So far I'd say the entire X-Series plugs for Harrison are very nice.

Only did one mix so far with the Mastering EQ. It's a trip building the EQ curve. Good thing I never took acid or I might be having flashbacks.
    cclarry
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re: Need some opinions on........ 2013/09/07 15:07:40 (permalink)
    bapu
    So far I'd say the entire X-Series plugs for Harrison are very nice.

Only did one mix so far with the Mastering EQ. It's a trip building the EQ curve. Good thing I never took acid or I might be having flashbacks.

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Need some opinions on........ 2013/09/07 16:26:59 (permalink)
    I like the mastering EQ a lot. I find it interesting to be able to play the music and draw EQ curves using that approach, use the right mouse button too for slick removal of unwanted curves. Try holding shift down while you draw curves for a very fine response.  (That SOOO makes a difference. Think about it. If you have drawn a wobbly curve then that is what you are doing to your harmonics, level wise. Smooth out the curve and things sound different) Make sure you expand and zoom into the vertical scale to see even more fine detial. I expand the plug GUI up large as well, makes it all easier again. You can resize the plugin and this is handy when creating total mastering screens that show you everything. It can be made small to fit in anywhere.

I used to use the Cakewalk LP64 first in the mastering chain. It is also a lovely sounding plugin. I like the way it can clean up extreme ends of the spectrum. I often followed that with a Pultec EQ for midrange control. Now I find the Harrison mastering eq up to the job of carving out some nice low and high end responses plus handle the mids at the same time. I am using only one EQ right now and this is it.

Also when you are mastering there are three places the EQ sound of your final mix can change. The first is the track EQ. I make a very slight change there. If you send it to a buss you have got the buss EQ. It can fine tune a little too. The masterbuss has got a (lovely) three stage EQ but the middle one is set to that mud area down low. One slight turn there can instantly clean up your mix! So by time the sound even hits the mastering EQ, it is almost right. Mastering EQ only has to fine tune a little further.

The High and Low filters right on the extremes of the EQ are also nice and very useful. Combine them with some clever drawing and very steep HPF curves can be made allowing you to keep the bass down to where you want it and then remove (unwanted subsonic material)  all together after that. Or you can create slow gentle slopes when you just want to tame the low end a little and not effect it too much.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Milt
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 781
    Re: Need some opinions on........ 2013/09/09 11:37:41 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for all the replies. Some pretty high praise, looks like it's a go!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1