Networking gurus?

Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
2011/05/07 14:55:37 (permalink)

Networking gurus?

I have 2 computers I'd like set up for networking. Local network in house for file sharing and that's about it.

One is XP and one is Vista. I have a Netgear switch and both are connected to the switch. The Icon shows that they are connected, and when I unplug either one, the icon says network plug disconnected. The icon says 100mps limited connectivity under normal conditions.

I'd like to be able to see the other either computer from either one....and access a shared folder on the other machine for swapping song files. Since my DAW is NOT internet connected, and I'd like it to remain that way, I send files to the laptop for posting to the net. I currently use a USB thumb drive for this, but recently, when loading a new VSTi from the lappy, the thumb drives were all too full to copy the 1.4G file.

OK back to networking... I can not see the other machine through the switch, and I thought I had the network discovery set, and ran the networking wizard on both.... still can not see the other machine.
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/05/07 14:57:01

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 

9 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Networking gurus? 2011/05/07 19:01:08 (permalink)
    Since my DAW is NOT internet connected, and I'd like it to remain that way, I send files to the laptop for posting to the net.

If your DAW is going to be connected to the internet via a switch (a opposed to a firewall router) you should consider that for some security issues it will be effectively connected to the net. It is possible to do internet connection sharing via the non-Daw (laptop?) without a switch and use the non-Daw machine as a gateway firewall installing a second network card in the gateway computer and passing everything through that gateway before it gets into your network, but for the use you describe, just pulling the plug on the connection between your computers when you are not actually transferring files from one to the other would work. For that use you do not even need a switch, as a crossover cable between the two computer's network cards would work.

I have never had any luck using the Windows Network Wizard, and always end up setting up manually. I am not sure what you mean about the computer "not showing up." Problems with getting two Microsoft computers to communicate often involves file and folder sharing and permission problems. For the gobbledygook version of how to troubleshoot network problems (check the more information links at the bottom as well) see this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Networking gurus? 2011/05/07 19:44:34 (permalink)
    Here is something on networking an XP and Win 7 PC from the latest "Win XP Newsletter":

Can't connect XP and Windows 7

QUESTION:

I have an XP computer and just got a new Windows 7 computer for my wife. She likes it but we're having a lot of trouble with networking the two now. I can't seem to get to the files on her system. Can you help? - Roy M.

ANSWER:
    By default, when you set up a Windows 7 computer, it asks if you want to create a homegroup. That's the easiest way to network multiple Windows 7 computers, but your Windows XP computer won't recognize a homegroup. You need to make the two computers members of the same workgroup. If you were networking two XP computers before, use the workgroup name that they were using. On the Windows 7 computer, click Control Panel | System and Security | System and look under "Computer name, domain and workgroup settings" on the General tab. Click Change Settings, then Change. Under "Member of," select Workgroup and type in the workgroup name.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Networking gurus? 2011/05/08 19:30:31 (permalink)
    OK.... I'll come back to this later in the week when I return from out of town. A few jobs have me scheduled out of town.... I have used a crossover cable in the past..... but I have the same issue there.... sometimes, I can not connect to the other computer.

The Vista lappy has wireless net, BUT, the purpose of the connection is not to access the internet with the DAW, it is simply to transfer files without the need for a USB drive.

I have a folder on the desktop page of each computer which I would like to be able to access by simply plugging in the network cable and navigating to that folder to paste the file to transfer..... am I wanting something here that is a bit more complicated than that?

BMI/NSAI

Large Style
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 279
    Re:Networking gurus? 2011/05/09 14:55:23 (permalink)
    I'd +1 the idea of using a crossover cable again. I've done this before between 2 Windows XP based machines, and when you actually remember the procedure to network them together it only takes a few mintues to get setup. It's also generally the only way (that I'm aware of) to network pc'c completely separately from the internet.

I used my network for remote desktop functionality and file transfers, which once setup I never had a problem with - the only slight issue was once both computers were turned on I had to wait a couple of minutes (after getting to Windows desktops) for the network to initiate and connect (it kept saying was no computer there to connect to, then it eventually said it was there).

Never networked beyond XP though, so good luck with Vista! If you can, avoid Wizards or any other automated bits of software. In XP I manually configured IP addresses, setup a RDP launcher (Remote Desktop Protocol) and that's the main part of it. If you concentrate on the RDP setup then your file transfer "arrangement" will be covered at the same time.

References:

RDP:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol

Very basic network guide:
    http://www.home-network-help.com/crossover.html

Good luck with it all.
    post edited by Large Style - 2011/05/09 14:56:44

Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G, Q6600 2.4Ghz, Crucial 8gb, EMU 1616, nVidia NVS 440 + Matrox DualHead2Go, WinXP x64 + WinXP x86 Dual-boot, M-Audio ProKeys 88, Technics 5.1 amp., guitar that I never learned to play.
    haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Networking gurus? 2011/05/09 18:12:55 (permalink)
    The best bet is to get a router.  The limited connectivity is caused by lack of an IP address.  A router can act as a DHCP server to serve out IP addresses.  Also, if you have a cable modem for internet, you plug the router into it.  Then connect your PC's to the router so both can access the internet.  The router's use NAT (Network Address Translation) which has a different IP address than your PC's.  This helps with security as outside PC's can't see your IP addres on your computers.  Most routers also have a Firewall built in as another security feature.

Jim
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Networking gurus? 2011/05/09 23:46:12 (permalink)
    I was thinking it had something to do with the IP address. I could easily go into the lappy and check it's IP address, then into the DAW and set the IP address close to the lappy. Maybe then they can see each other everytime I plug them in .

BMI/NSAI

DayDay72
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re:Networking gurus? 2011/05/11 22:20:51 (permalink)
    If I am not mistaken, you are trying to connect 2 PC's through a switch, with no router.  This will require Straight through cables, and not crossover.  If you had no switch, then it would be xover....the switch looks for layer 2 info....go into the switch and create/place on the same vlan, or subnet....no IP needed (at least for an actual connection of two machines). you also might want to glance on the Microsoft QA in the above reply after you have done this to setup your network.   The main thing is that you will need straight thru's to the switch, or the switch needs auto-detect enabled.
    post edited by DayDay72 - 2011/05/11 22:35:22
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Networking gurus? 2011/05/12 11:17:19 (permalink)
    DayDay72

If I am not mistaken, you are trying to connect 2 PC's through a switch, with no router.  This will require Straight through cables, and not crossover.  If you had no switch, then it would be xover....the switch looks for layer 2 info....go into the switch and create/place on the same vlan, or subnet....no IP needed (at least for an actual connection of two machines). you also might want to glance on the Microsoft QA in the above reply after you have done this to setup your network.   The main thing is that you will need straight thru's to the switch, or the switch needs auto-detect enabled.

yes switch,

yes straight through cables.

I have not had time to work on this but I will reference this thread when I do.

BMI/NSAI

jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:Networking gurus? 2011/06/02 11:02:41 (permalink)
    Is the switch connected to a modem and or router?

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1